Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 05:21 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

When eating out, how long does it usually take for you to order?

I don't like to take much time and usually if it's somewhere I've been, I am ready to order as soon as I get in the restaurant. Even if it's a new place to me, I don't take much time.

Same with drive thrus. I can't stand people who take ages to order, holding up people behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 05:36 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,080,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

I don't like to take much time and usually if it's somewhere I've been, I am ready to order as soon as I get in the restaurant. Even if it's a new place to me, I don't take much time.

Same with drive thrus. I can't stand people who take ages to order, holding up people behind them.
When we go out, especially to a "new to us place", we like to take our time ordering. Enjoy a glass of wine or beer while looking over the menu. Places we've been to before, we might be ready to order right after the drinks are served. If we are getting take out, we order before hand and we generally don't use the drive thru.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:55 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,411,984 times
We pretty much only eat out when there are absolutely no other options (and there is almost Always a grocery store with options) and then about 2~3 times a year of mindful 'treats'. In all cases where it's planned, unless the special is appealing, we know what we're going to order before arriving and order at the first available opportunity. Menus are online, not too difficult to plan ahead ~ mind you that these are situations where we have likely traveled a minimum of 2~3 hours and might have taken a flight to another state. Haven't done "drive through" in over 2 decades as I don't eat at those kinds of places.

Somewhere out of necessity, or the random "we're in another country, lets ask a local", it doesn't take too long to look through a menu and decide. Certainly never so long as to consume a whole drink. Though there have been occasions we've gone somewhere for drinks and decided later to also have food.

In short, eating out is a miserable experience (in my experience), I want to get it over with as quickly as reasonable. It's not the food that's bad, it's the service (99% of the time) and the people around us (the rest). Then knowing that I could have made the same meal, or better, at home for 1/4 the price really ruins the whole thing.

Old 08-04-2018, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

wow!!! I don't like people who take forever, but then I don't do drive thru very often. Still I realize it sometimes takes a few minutes for people to decide. As for us when we are seated, we still want to order our drinks, be it water coffee or wine and study the menu. I don't care if we have been to the restaurant once or 20 times. I don't mean taking 20 minutes, but don't rush me either.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:42 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
DEPENDS WHO IM WITH AND where we are at a sit down restaurant..

what irks me in a fasr food place....is people that get impatient waiting in line....and then wait til its their turn up front to look at the menu....when its been in plain sight all along..

on the flip side of this question...….if its going ro be a much longer wait.....I expect the server to tell us up front...

Old 08-04-2018, 12:29 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Whenever possible I check the restaurant's website so I have my order already in mind, or at least an idea. I'm always quick to order.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I am ready BEFORE I get to the ordering-point. Oh man, I have stood behind people at places like Starbucks, 10 minutes for someone to figure-out what they want and place their order.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:48 PM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
I go to fast food places only when we are traveling, I don`t want anyone waiting behind me, so I usually order fast, and not happy with what I get
If I am in a restaurant, I take my time, order my drink, have a little conversation,then order. Prices are so high now a days, I really want to stay awhile and get my moneys worth

Old 08-04-2018, 04:20 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
When you go out to order...It depends... Is it a restaurant like Five guys where if you take long to order, other people are waiting ages behind you? Or is it a resultant like Chilis where you have a waiter and can take your sweet time.

With the former, yes it's annoying. You should know what you want before you even step inside the building. Your kids should also know what they want before they step inside. Holding up the line is insufferable.

I'm very fast with ordering because I always look at the menu online ahead of time. I also hate people who have coupons, complicated orders, complaints, long orders, etc. Jesus Christ. I was at Moe's southwest grill and some idiot had several complicated orders for the whole office, when he should've CALLED it in and ordered it ahead of time. Drive me insane.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:24 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
If I've been there more than once or twice, I know what I want going in. As soon as the waiter/waitress gets there, I place the order. We usually only get water to drink, so the drink order is not that complicated. I hate waiting 5 minutes for someone to come and take our drink order, and then wait 5-10 minutes to bring our drinks and take our food order, and then wait 20 more minutes for the food to get there. If it's a new place, I might take 5 minutes to decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink