U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 03:24 PM

21,072 posts, read 25,981,651 times

Advertisements

I don't know what "premium" milk is, but "milk is milk" is not entirely true. The flavor, texture, and color of milk is greatly affected by both the feed the cow eats and the breed of cow. It's also affected by the number of daylight hours.

Different brands of milk taste different and they can have the same % of milk fat and still feel different.

I buy a more expensive brand because I like the taste of it and the butterfly content is detectable.

I bought local for decades and then all the local dairy farmers went out of business and the local dairy started trucking milking from far away. Flavor changed so much, I stopped buying from them.

Best milk ever came from a little old lady down the road with a dozen purebred jersey cows. The jersey milk is yellow and has gorgeous flavor. Unfortunately the health department drove her out of business or I'd still be getting milk there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 PM

3,333 posts, read 3,582,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I don't know what "premium" milk is, but "milk is milk" is not entirely true. The flavor, texture, and color of milk is greatly affected by both the feed the cow eats and the breed of cow. It's also affected by the number of daylight hours.

Different brands of milk taste different and they can have the same % of milk fat and still feel different.

I buy a more expensive brand because I like the taste of it and the butterfly content is detectable.

I bought local for decades and then all the local dairy farmers went out of business and the local dairy started trucking milking from far away. Flavor changed so much, I stopped buying from them.

Best milk ever came from a little old lady down the road with a dozen purebred jersey cows. The jersey milk is yellow and has gorgeous flavor. Unfortunately the health department drove her out of business or I'd still be getting milk there.
I'm skeptical on your claim of the number of daylight hours, but I agree with the rest of your post.
(BTW, I live in Wisconsin, grew up on a dairy farm, and have a Bachelor's Degree in Dairy Science from the University of Wisconsin-Madison. UW-Madison's professors invented the method of testing milk for butterfat amongst other notable accomplishments in the dairy industry.)

Old 08-11-2018, 01:10 AM

1,371 posts, read 570,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I'm not sure about "premium" milk, but if one can buy it locally (or as close to the source as possible), without growth hormones, that's premium enough. The smaller sources are usually better quality than the mega-companies (obviously). I couldn't imagine buying milk connected with Coca-Cola, for example.
How do you guys find locally produced milk?

Old 08-11-2018, 07:20 AM

10,876 posts, read 19,011,397 times
I only use milk for baking, but I prefer regular lactose free milk to premium lactose free milk. If I get thirsty for chocolate milk, which happens about once every ten years, I like premium lactose free chocolate milk.

Old 08-11-2018, 02:52 PM

15,034 posts, read 16,643,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
The way I found my local milk is to go into stores that sell local products, in my case a food co-op, but even Sprouts and Whole Foods, while sourcing foods from all over, often have local products as well. Just look in the dairy case and check the labels or ask one of the workers.

If not sure where your local store might be, check out this website. just enter your zip code and and it will point you to the nearest seller of local milk:

Find Local, Organic Cow Milk | Agrilicious!

Old 08-11-2018, 03:41 PM

644 posts, read 145,548 times
When I was dairy farming, Jersey herd of 35 , a woman came to my farm to buy some milk.

She complimented me on how great it tasted compared to the milk in stores.
I asked what she bought in stores and she said " 2%"

My Jersey milk was testing 4.2%

She was comparing apples to oranges by buying low butterfat milk in the store

Old 08-11-2018, 03:55 PM

369 posts, read 117,769 times
Want to kick it up a notch?
Try goats milk. Naturally homogenized, if the goats have had quality feed it's an amazing milk. Wonderful cheese also. Raised them for milk and meat back in the 70's.

Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM

644 posts, read 145,548 times
Quote:

(3rd paragraph)........"butterfly content ?

I believe you meant " butterfat content" as I would hope there are not butterflies in the milk you buy.

Old 08-13-2018, 03:14 PM

826 posts, read 190,507 times
Quote:

Jersey (or Guernsey) milk is also what I think of when someone says the term "premium milk"

Old 08-13-2018, 10:18 PM

5,976 posts, read 3,212,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post

I go to the store and it's right there next to the corporate milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or