U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 04:24 PM

1,040 posts, read 543,257 times

Advertisements

It's not the most ridiculous but I have to say it anyway. Someone mentioned "boardwalk" and that's where I first had these: deep fried artichokes. Just one guy making them in his little stall. They were so good that they will remain on my list of top ten best dishes of all time. I don't know what that man did to those artichokes. Maybe it was his use of garlic or garlic salt? And why did they taste just slightly, slightly, sweet? Whatever he did the result was super delicious and very memorable. Another vendor about four doors down also served fried artichokes. I got some but no, no comparison. Flat and flavorless.

Later I tried to duplicate the good ones at home. Ha! They mostly ended up in the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 06:42 PM

4,120 posts, read 3,457,522 times
Deep fried creamed corn is pretty amazing.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:04 PM

3,128 posts, read 1,224,267 times
We got a deep fried Twinkie at the fair a few years ago. Four of us each took a bite, then we tossed the rest away. Ugh.

Food channel had a fair food competition; I think the cotton candy tacos were entered.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:35 PM

9,999 posts, read 4,229,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We got a deep fried Twinkie at the fair a few years ago. Four of us each took a bite, then we tossed the rest away. Ugh.

Food channel had a fair food competition; I think the cotton candy tacos were entered.
State fairs are for food what freakshow displays at circuses were for people.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 PM

9,887 posts, read 5,785,041 times
Where is it that I heard fried watermelon?
I'll pass. I want it in its natural state - especially in this hot, humid summer.
I've had the fried calamari, fried fish and the onion blossom. Except for the blossom, I would much prefer the others grilled and/or baked.

Old 08-05-2018, 08:22 PM

2,352 posts, read 595,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Oh, come on....they made it all up.
Nah, this is real. I see crazy stuff like this all the time on the various food channels. It's typically found at fairs and carnivals in the Midwest and down south.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:15 PM

17,589 posts, read 21,777,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
If we’ve learned one thing about food in the past few years, it’s that if it exists, someone will find a way to deep-fry it.
Texas is a home of many of them:

Corn Dog Ale — In keeping with the funnel cake ale that was popular a few years ago, this beer is inspired by the State Fair of Texas’ most famous dish: the Fletcher’s Corny Dog.

Fried Kool-Aid Pickles — Also a State Fair staple, dill pickles that have been soaked in Kool-Aid get the deep-fryer treatment.

Cotton Candy Taco — No details yet on what this taco will hold, but expect a shell made of freshly-pulled cotton candy.

Hoppin’ John Cake with Jackpot Sauce — No word yet on what “jackpot sauce” is, but expect a fried corn cake studded with black eyed peas.

Deep Fried M&Ms — Will each tiny M&M be deep-fried individually? Who knows!

Orange You Glad We Fried It? — Literally no idea.

Sweet Crispy Rice — A sugary, greasy riff on classic arroz con leche.

Fried butter on a stick - entire stick of butter dipped in a cinnamon batter, fried and topped with glaze.

Fried beer - deep-fried ravioli made from a salty, pretzel-like dough filled with beer.

Fried Kool aid balls - with a batter made from flour, water and Kool-Aid.

Fried ice cream cheese burger - slab of ice cream coated in cinnamon and cornflakes dipped in a deep fryer for 10 to 15 sec., nestled under the toasted bun and perched atop the pickle, lettuce, tomato, bacon and cheese toppings.

Fried salsa - dipped in masa and covered in crunchy tortilla chips before it's dropped into the deep fryer.

Fried bubblegum - bubblegum-flavored marshmallows dipped in batter, fried and decorated with icing and powdered sugar.

Fried jelly beans - dipped in batter before being deep-fried.

More of the bizarre fried food here:

https://kitchenette.jezebel.com/the-...s-a-1572769682

And the winner is - Maggot melt sandwich?
Take two hamburger buns, a few slices of cheese, a healthy dose of fly larvae, toss it all on the grill and chow down.

... or maybe not. What do YOU think of that food?
Do you know anything else not mentioned here?
I hate to be a party pooper, but not one of these foods appeals to me at all. Even before they deep fried it.

With the exception of real butter. Deep fried butter? Sickening, Do these people have a death wish???

Old 08-05-2018, 11:19 PM

474 posts, read 113,243 times
Deep fried mayonnaise

Old 08-05-2018, 11:36 PM

6,122 posts, read 3,326,133 times
People eat disgusting things. That doesn't mean it's okay.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 AM

282 posts, read 39,151 times
Thanks for posting this. I’m going to look at it every time I’m tempted to pig out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or