U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 PM

510 posts, read 243,586 times

Advertisements

I've tried and enjoyed deep fried Oreos. Those are tasty. Deep fried cookie dough was pretty good too. As for the things on the list, none of them appealed to me. I am intrigued by the cotton candy taco though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 PM

2,372 posts, read 598,807 times
Other than the Maggot melt sandwich, I'd eat most of that stuff before I'd eat sushi.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:12 PM

14,334 posts, read 12,590,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Since when is fried green tomatoes a Southern thing? My entire family ate them every summer, with pepper. From Indiana. Can't get much north-er than that. (Not counting Alaska)

It's a RURAL thing. Not a Southern thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Not even - my grandmother used to make them in suburban New Jersey. She grew up in Trenton. It's more anyplace where tomatoes are plentiful I think
Me three.

NE Ohio, had them every summer and my mom was from Wisconsin.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:03 AM

756 posts, read 223,874 times
North Carolina, famous for it's double wide butts and legendary beer guts has the most gawd awful calorie laden junk ever at the annual State Fair..... offered every year are the deep fried Girl Scout cookies, thin mints and samoas. sheesh. after living in metro NYC area where no one is over a size zero, i can't tell you how skinny i felt here before i lost my 100 pounds. the rest of the year everyone here stuffs themselves with half pound pimento melted cheese sandwiches on huge slabs of Texas Toast with a quarter pound of bacon on top and a side composed of one yard long spiral french fry.

here's a few that might not be on your list: Arizona sports a Nutella Bacon Pickle and rival to your maggot melt, it's a meal worm covered caramel apple (see picture)..............gag gag gag. Hawaiians have an annual spam jam which has some disgusting offerings. quite a few states offer a bacon wrapped caramel apple. Reindeer dogs are hot all the time in Alaska. Virginia offers a truly disgusting sloppy joe crispy creme glazed donut with cheese

Last edited by ceiligrrl; 09-17-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM

8,198 posts, read 7,489,588 times
Deep fried oreas, pickles or twinkies are amazing.

Old 08-07-2018, 10:59 AM

32,778 posts, read 22,726,695 times
Cheese Curds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Since when is fried green tomatoes a Southern thing? My entire family ate them every summer, with pepper. From Indiana. Can't get much north-er than that. (Not counting Alaska)

It's a RURAL thing. Not a Southern thing.

Having lived and worked in Indiana in multiple regions, nah, it is mostly the South.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:49 AM

4,952 posts, read 2,572,919 times
Oreo cookies... just leave the cookies alone, who needs them deep fried. ugh... I don't get the deep frying trend.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:10 PM

4,818 posts, read 5,447,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post

North Carolina, famous for it's double wide butts and legendary beer guts has the most gawd awful calorie laden junk ever at the annual State Fair..... offered every year are the deep fried Girl Scout cookies, thin mints and samoas. sheesh. after living in metro NYC area where no one is over a size zero, i can't tell you how skinny i felt here before i lost my 100 pounds. the rest of the year everyone here stuffs themselves with half pound pimento melted cheese sandwiches on huge slabs of Texas Toast with a quarter pound of bacon on top and a side composed of one yard long spiral french fry.
Where exactly do you live in North Carolina? You don't sound like you live in Charlotte or Raleigh or Cary or Research Triangle Park or Chapel Hill or anywhere with civilization. NC is full of sophisticated restaurants, so you must live in the sticks somewhere.

Also, I don't think the food on offer at a State Fair is a reliable gauge of people's regular diets.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM

3,324 posts, read 3,569,784 times
I'm going to the Wisconsin State Fair Thursday. I'll have to see what I can find and report back. I will definitely be having a beer float again though. Had one last year and it was fabulous. Of course it was Leinenkugel's Berry Weiss with Cedar Crest vanilla ice cream, so it basically tasted like a strawberry soda float. I had a whiskey float the year before. I didn't really like it, tasted too "boozy".

Old 08-07-2018, 04:25 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,489,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Cheese Curds

I had them for the first time ever in Milwaukee this spring and they were one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Cheese sticks on steroids.

With fresh, draft beer? Holy hell were they good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or