U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

13,718 posts, read 22,856,503 times

Advertisements

From Morningnewsbeat.com, a retail news outlet:

The Wall Street Journal over the weekend featured a commentary piece by Henry I. Miller - described as “a physician and molecular biologist … a fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution,” and the “founding director of the FDA’s Office of Biotechnology” - in which he attacks the organic food business as being rife with “blatantly false and deceptive advertising claims.”

An excerpt:

“Consider the Whole Foods website, which explicitly claims that organic foods are grown ‘without toxic or persistent pesticides.’ In fact, organic farmers rely on synthetic and natural pesticides to grow their crops, just as conventional farmers do, and organic products can contain numerous synthetic as well as natural chemicals. As observed by UC Berkeley biochemist Bruce Ames and his colleagues in 1990, ’99.99% (by weight) of the pesticides in the American diet are chemicals that plants produce to defend themselves’.”

Another excerpt:

“In addition to blatant untruths, food marketers are masters at subtly misleading consumers. A favored technique is the ‘absence claim’ —asserting a meaningless distinction between products in order to make theirs seem superior. Generally, the FDA comes down hard on such behavior. They would never allow an orange-juice producer to label its product ‘fat free,’ for example. To claim an absence of a certain ingredient, there has to be a ‘standard of presence’ in that product to begin with, and there is no fat in orange juice.

“But Tropicana gets away with labeling its orange juice ‘Non-GMO Project Verified,’ and Hunt’s labels its canned crushed tomatoes ‘non-GMO,’ even though there are no GMO (genetically modified organism) oranges or tomatoes on the market. In fact, absence claims about GMOs are never enforced: I was unable to find a single FDA warning letter or other enforcement action against deceptive ‘non-GMO’ labeling.”

Miller concludes:

“Giving the organic industry and others a pass to engage in such active deception undermines consumers’ choice, erodes trust in the market, and rigs the game. Consumers need aggressive FDA action to curb these abuses and level the playing field.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-org...you-1533496699
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM

3,750 posts, read 4,508,455 times
Not Surprised, Follow the Money

Thanks for taking the time to post & share

Old 08-06-2018, 01:24 PM

69,367 posts, read 79,577,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
From Morningnewsbeat.com, a retail news outlet:

The Wall Street Journal over the weekend featured a commentary piece by Henry I. Miller - described as “a physician and molecular biologist … a fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution,” and the “founding director of the FDA’s Office of Biotechnology” - in which he attacks the organic food business as being rife with “blatantly false and deceptive advertising claims.”

An excerpt:

“Consider the Whole Foods website, which explicitly claims that organic foods are grown ‘without toxic or persistent pesticides.’ In fact, organic farmers rely on synthetic and natural pesticides to grow their crops, just as conventional farmers do, and organic products can contain numerous synthetic as well as natural chemicals. As observed by UC Berkeley biochemist Bruce Ames and his colleagues in 1990, ’99.99% (by weight) of the pesticides in the American diet are chemicals that plants produce to defend themselves’.”

Another excerpt:

“In addition to blatant untruths, food marketers are masters at subtly misleading consumers. A favored technique is the ‘absence claim’ —asserting a meaningless distinction between products in order to make theirs seem superior. Generally, the FDA comes down hard on such behavior. They would never allow an orange-juice producer to label its product ‘fat free,’ for example. To claim an absence of a certain ingredient, there has to be a ‘standard of presence’ in that product to begin with, and there is no fat in orange juice.

“But Tropicana gets away with labeling its orange juice ‘Non-GMO Project Verified,’ and Hunt’s labels its canned crushed tomatoes ‘non-GMO,’ even though there are no GMO (genetically modified organism) oranges or tomatoes on the market. In fact, absence claims about GMOs are never enforced: I was unable to find a single FDA warning letter or other enforcement action against deceptive ‘non-GMO’ labeling.”

Miller concludes:

“Giving the organic industry and others a pass to engage in such active deception undermines consumers’ choice, erodes trust in the market, and rigs the game. Consumers need aggressive FDA action to curb these abuses and level the playing field.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-org...you-1533496699
Interesting article and I am not a faithful lover of organic. I am very happy with whatever is the least expensive and seems to be fresh, but I also take all these types of articles with a grain of salt and I don't care which side they are on or who did the study.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:35 PM

184,077 posts, read 75,032,845 times
Follow the money, follow the paper trail. In the mid 70's an early promoter of organic vegetable ask me to bring him a 50lb bag of an insecticide dust that was not organic back from Kansas City... under the radar. I didn't. As far as organic fertilizer the founder of the Organic Gardening Magazine published that all fertilizers had to be broken down in the soil to the exact same form for plants to be able to use it. To many people are in the advice giving machine that have never had a single hour of chemistry at any level are running there mouths foolishly. If all is so bad why are so many people living so much longer who have never had a so called organic meal in their lives. No people rail on synthetic organic fertilizers. The same exact molecule is the same exact substance regardless of origin or how assembled. Case in point. If a lightning bolt ignites hydrogen and oxygen to yield H2O the water would be considered natural as man was not involved. If man burns Oxygen and Hydrogen it becomes synthetic. Mix the two up and tell me someone can identify the natural from the synthetic. Anyone have an ideal how to? Urea and synthetic urea are urea. Synthetic is more pure and cleaner.... I refuse to pay highway robbery prices to the elitist few in on the scam. One day when farmers who don't comply to blogger standards and are pushed out then the price of food will be unaffordable but for the chosen few. Follow the money. And for the believer that organic foods taste better I'd love to do a double blind taste test... with foods I know how to grow and grow well.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:44 AM

8,198 posts, read 7,489,588 times
How could anyone think an orange could even BE a GMO product. It comes from a tree.

Old 08-07-2018, 11:57 AM

184,077 posts, read 75,032,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
How could anyone think an orange could even BE a GMO product. It comes from a tree.
I'm sure one could be made. GMO means a sample of plant tissue from one species has been incorporated into the DNA of another. If some mad man or woman wanted to GMO an orange I suppose they could. GMO corn is made by using the natural insecticide bacteria that is used by organic gardeners to keep worms off of broccoli, cabbage, etc. That cell is growing with GMO corn so the worms can't eat the corn and live. The bacteria is not poisonous to humans or animals. Bacteria creates and unpleasant image so when we eat yogurt they call it probiotics. The fear factor from the unknown and not understood is a real problem as much as when something is really bad. This week I read a post on another site claiming that GMO had no nutrition. That is just false. An outright lie. People have screamed for science but when science delivers it chaos. I'll eat the GMO sweet corn but keep the aspartame away...

I think GMO for food stuffs is at a stage similar when the first railroad was being built. Rumors were spread the people who road them would die because the human heart could not stand the forces that 30mph would bring... Same with electricity in homes... it would kill.. it does when not used properly, it's not a toy.

GMO has been used to produce faster grown trees for the lumber industry years ago.

Like it, Hate it, or what ever. GMO has opened a Pandora's Box of a lot of unknowns. Restricting GMO from organic production will probably not be forever.. GMO probably will have a placebo effect on the norm of the population.

Old 08-07-2018, 12:23 PM

9,196 posts, read 10,152,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Trees are living organisms; all living organisms have genes. We can look forward to genetic modifications of all life forms. We call this scientific progress.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:23 PM

8,198 posts, read 7,489,588 times
GMOs are brought to us by Monsanto who genetically modifies the seeds.

Old 08-07-2018, 06:56 PM

15,240 posts, read 15,242,866 times
Scamganic, more and more stores are dedicating an increasing amount of space for this overpriced stuff.....probably a better profit margin.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:23 PM

2,700 posts, read 1,776,653 times
Dang...I ran out of rep-ability for many of y'alls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or