Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 01:42 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,187,561 times

Advertisements

Candy cigarettes

https://www.oldtimecandy.com/product...igarettes-pack

They sell them on Amazon also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Our parents did not keep sweets in the house, but grandma was different. You should pick them [candy cigarettes] up for them. They will remember it fondly!
I was on a plane to Chicago and was explaining the lit-up "fasten seat belt" and "no smoking" signs to the older one, who's 4. I explained that the one meant you couldn't smoke cigarettes. She replied, "what's a cigarette?" I kid you not.

Old 12-08-2018, 11:44 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
Decades ago I gave up Doritos. They were like my crack. Really.
Initially I loved the Nacho Cheese flavor (which I think was the original flavor).
Then they added Coo Ranch......
Over the course of a day, I literally could eat an entire family sized bag -- of EACH!

They were like a drug to me. And IMO I don't think they're good for you.
So I just gave them up.

Old 12-08-2018, 12:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Initially I loved the Nacho Cheese flavor (which I think was the original flavor).
Over the course of a day, I literally could eat an entire family sized bag -- of EACH!

So I just gave them up.

When Doritos first came out in the 70s, I believe, thought I had died and gone to snack heaven.

I was crazy about Cool Ranch Doritos for years but now don't remember when I last had any...

Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:

So I just gave them up.
What a sad post...

Old 12-11-2018, 11:57 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What a sad post...

I am a health person and I can easily scarf down sacks of cookies if given the opportunity. One time I baked a dozen chocolate chip cookies for an event and I ended up eating the entire dozen, the dough, the warm cookies coming out of the oven and the 2 or so cooled down cookies that were left. I had to mix up and bake another dozen.

I have eaten whole layer cakes (okay so one half on Sat and the other half on Sun). I have had to go on long distance runs (I think that is why I initially became a runner hee hee) to burn these off, but since I have been diagnosed with borderline high blood sugar and my brother is a Type II diabetic (and mom and grandma were), I have been forced to drop the sugar and carbs. No more dozens of/sacks of/whole cakes.

Old 12-11-2018, 12:00 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,460,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What a sad post...
Seeing that you like goodies, I think you are saying you are sad the person gave up the Doritos. Yes, I see your point now! It was sad to give up sugar for me!

Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I cannot eat Reese's peanut butter cups anymore. They have become disgusting. So many manufacturers are screwing around with the classics to the point that they aren't even the same product they began with. The filling part is like pure sugar, little peanut taste, and the chocolate is like wax and mushy. I remember the firmness of the chocolate in the original Reese's peanut butter cups from a few decades ago.

If you have a Trader Joe's near you, check out their peanut butter cups. They come in either milk chocolate or dark chocolate. I prefer the dark chocolate. The filling has a bit of salt, so its a great peanut butter taste, not too sugary at all, and no preservatives or artificial flavors. They are awesome.

more here: https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/4208

Old 12-12-2018, 09:02 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,964,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Seeing that you like goodies, I think you are saying you are sad the person gave up the Doritos. Yes, I see your point now! It was sad to give up sugar for me!
Believe me, I understand the no self control thing, but you can still buy a small bag occasionally knowing you're going to eat the whole thing and call it dinner; won't kill you on rare occasions. Life is too short...

Old 12-12-2018, 09:40 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,700,279 times
Quote:

So I just gave them up.
You NEED to read The Dorito Effect. The book describes how and why US food began losing its natural flavor and nutrition, and what the “food” manufacturers did to hook people on ersatz substitutes for flavor.

Doritos occupy their own chapter, IIRC. The original Doritos were plain salted tortilla chips, NOT the cheesed up chembrew you so craved. I remember those plain Doritos and liked them, but FritoLay must have considered me in the minority. They soon quietly dropped the plain ones and began calling the chembrew cheese stuff Doritos.

The entire book is fascinating. I highly recommend it to anybody interested in why foods are so salty or sweet now, so garishly colored, so not like the items they are supposed to be. This even includes raw food such as meat and vegetables; all too often they are insipid, bland, lack good texture, etc. But hey, they transport well across long distance trucking hauls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink