U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 10:03 PM

143 posts, read 87,442 times

Advertisements

Brachs red licorice...bought it at home improvement store; it was sosoft. Some clerks would be surprised if that was the only item purchased; others said they sold a lot of it.

Something else I haven't seen for a long time: Snirkles.

Fizzers: look like smarties. Their available in Europe, but shipping gets pretty expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 10:49 AM

7,304 posts, read 3,903,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Available in just about every little rural mom-and-pop grocery/convenience store in the northwest, especially if there are campgrounds or a resort nearby!
Is it better than microwave? I remember our family popping that when I was a little girl; it was so exciting!

Old 08-15-2018, 03:24 PM

31,299 posts, read 9,331,176 times
Marinated brussels sprouts. Yes, I snacked on them.

Years ago, Wegmans had them in their "gourmet" section. After their entire store went the gourmet route, they disappeared.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:20 AM

1,844 posts, read 758,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I love the Vermont Country Store for long forgotten favorites. Like those flat raisin biscuit cookies.
If you don't mind paying a premium. Before the WWW, yeah, they could get away with charging those prices. But now you can Google just about any item in the catalog and find it cheaper elsewhere.

Case in point - Garibaldi biscuits
VCS - 5 for $17.50
Amazon - 12 for $14.99

I am in the Northeast and I believe I have seen the foil pan JiffyPop around here too.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:50 AM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
860 posts, read 249,840 times
Quote:
Is it better than microwave? I remember our family popping that when I was a little girl; it was so exciting!

I've never had it. I'm told (by somebody for whom a handful of plain M & Ms is "sickening sweet") that it's very salty, so try it and see. Apparently in this part of the country it's a staple for campers and road-travellers. I rarely see it in the stores here in the city except when they bring out the seasonal camping displays in the spring and summer but if you go to, say, the Shop-N-Kart in Westport (three state parks with campgrounds nearby) they always have it.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:23 PM

29,717 posts, read 32,203,250 times
I thought of another hot weather favorite (besides the Big Stick Popsicle) that was discontinued a couple years ago, Swiss Orange Chip sherbet. I bought Dryers brand forever and when I couldn't find that Safeway had their own version which was fine then that one went away too. Yeah I can make it myself with Orange sherbet and mini semi sweet chocolate chips but it's the principal of the thing.

It's a running gag in my family that if I ever favor a product, whether it's decades old or something brand new, it it WILL be discontinued. Had a scare with NEW COKE back in the 80's when I drank that instead of coffee, but thank goodness clearer heads prevailed. Although I only drink it occasionally now.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:34 AM

35,842 posts, read 39,812,300 times
The demise of lime-flavored Skittles still irks me. They're one of the few candies I even eat, and lime was my favorite. They still have a few "special edition" varieties that feature lime, and my husband grabs a few bags for me whenever he sees one.

I actually ordinarily like green apple flavored stuff...but not when it's subbed in for lime.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

It's a running gag in my family that if I ever favor a product, whether it's decades old or something brand new, it it WILL be discontinued. Had a scare with NEW COKE back in the 80's when I drank that instead of coffee, but thank goodness clearer heads prevailed. Although I only drink it occasionally now.
Oh, I'm a total product killer. My tastes are obviously completely opposite of product testers and prevailing preferences. It happens with foods, but also, hugely, with cosmetics. Anything that is notably flattering on me is something I need to stockpile, as it will inevitably be discontinued.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You really CAN still find a lot of these items for sale on "old-fashioned" or "nostalgic" candy sites and even in some specialty stores. Thank goodness!
Cracker Barrel restaurants' attached "country stores" often feature throwback treats.

Old 08-19-2018, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
No kidding. It's like a thinner, harder Tums. My mom used to get a roll and share them out between us kids as a "special treat." I think the idea was to make us hate candy.
I never got why anybody liked conversation hearts at Valentine's Day...just chalky, thick, heart-shaped Necco wafers. Give me SweeTart hearts any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink