U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 AM

628 posts, read 168,699 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
To add to the thread, I cannot eat Reese's peanut butter cups anymore. They have become disgusting. So many manufacturers are screwing around with the classics to the point that they aren't even the same product they began with.
I've found that with Hostess Zingers (used to be Dolly Madison Zingers)- they're just not the same. There was a long discussion about how old favorites have changed on another board I'm on and some speculate that it's the elimination of trans-fats. Oh, well- makes it easier to pass them up when I see them in stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Candy Cigarettes. My grandma had these at their house. They were white powdery sugary sticks that came in cigarette boxes that looked like real cigarette boxes and had a red tip (I believe). I liked walking around as a kid on the sidewalk outside of Grandma's with one of those dangling from my mouth. I don't remember seeing them in stores.
There's a candy store in Hermann, MO that carries them. I keep joking about picking some up for my granddaughters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 AM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 24 days ago)

17,368 posts, read 22,447,540 times
Quote:
Candy Cigarettes. My grandma had these at their house. They were white powdery sugary sticks that came in cigarette boxes that looked like real cigarette boxes and had a red tip (I believe). I liked walking around as a kid on the sidewalk outside of Grandma's with one of those dangling from my mouth. I don't remember seeing them in stores.
imagine a kid taking candy cigarettes to school today..lol also that waxy candies that had sweet juice inside - I remember some in the shape of a small hand gun....

Old 12-07-2018, 11:06 AM

332 posts, read 135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
There's a candy store in Hermann, MO that carries them. I keep joking about picking some up for my granddaughters.

Our parents did not keep sweets in the house, but grandma was different. You should pick them up for them. They will remember it fondly!

Old 12-07-2018, 11:07 AM

332 posts, read 135,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
imagine a kid taking candy cigarettes to school today..lol also that waxy candies that had sweet juice inside - I remember some in the shape of a small hand gun....

I remember the little waxy bottles with juice inside. I hate to see what would happen if kids took the hand gun ones to school let alone the cigarettes! That is hilarious - a handgun!

Old 12-07-2018, 01:01 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,924,023 times
You all know about Cracker Barrel, right? They sell old-timey candy! So does Vermont Country Store and several online "nostalgic" candy and snack websites. Check 'em out!

Old 12-07-2018, 01:31 PM

19,265 posts, read 4,007,146 times
Quote:
Our area had them...my brother loved them. I was more fond of wax lips and fingernails even though you couldn't eat them. For candy, I bought Luden's Cherry Cough Drops...and penny candies in fruit flavors.

We also like Zero bars, Mallo cups, Paper straws full of sweet candy powder....my favorite candy flavor was cherry.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:33 PM

19,265 posts, read 4,007,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Personally, I'll be glad when this "healthy" dark chocolate craze dies down. It tastes nasty!
Get 77%...I saw that's the one that's beneficial but has least amount of bitter chocolate. Sweeter than say 88%.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:37 PM

13,518 posts, read 43,167,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Maybe you're thinking of Walk This Way? Walk On By was by Dionne Warwick.

To add to the thread, I cannot eat Reese's peanut butter cups anymore. They have become disgusting. So many manufacturers are screwing around with the classics to the point that they aren't even the same product they began with. The filling part is like pure sugar, little peanut taste, and the chocolate is like wax and mushy. I remember the firmness of the chocolate in the original Reese's peanut butter cups from a few decades ago.

At least around here, (PNW) you can get Justin's peanut butter (and cashew butter) cups, milk or dark chocolate. Find them in the health food store, or organic aisle. Smaller and more expensive than Reese's, but IMHO quite good.

Old 12-07-2018, 01:51 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,289,433 times
Quote:
I loved them too! My mother used to hate it when I got them, said she didn't want me walking around smoking like a derelict...lol.

Used to love the minty/wintergreen flavor of them. Ironically, just a year or so ago, I bought another "pack" from a vintage candy store. They tasted like I was sucking on a bar of soap....it was sooo bad! Killed my taste for them ever again.

I've had this same experience with a few other snack/candy products I loved at a kid too. I'm not sure if my tastes have changed over 50 years, or if the products have changed, probably a bit of both.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:11 PM

7,334 posts, read 3,924,023 times
Agree about the dark chocolate craze; all my PC friends who buy organic, etc., claim to loooooooove it! I finally figured out that they believe milk chocolate to be "sweeter" and therefore appealing to less mature and sophisticated palates (mine). Whereas, in fact, dark chocolate contains plenty of sugar; probably even more than milk since it's needed to cut that nasty bitter taste. Most foods that are found to be "beneficial" are found to be "deleterious" a year later. Food isn't medicine and shouldn't be treated as such. I just eat what tastes good.

Last edited by otterhere; 12-07-2018 at 02:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink