U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 08:57 AM

2,823 posts, read 497,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey2k View Post
i.e. How many different meals do you rotate through before you get back to the start of your "menu"?

I have oatmeal for breakfast almost every day (but many people tend to eat the same thing for breakfast)
Yes, the same for me. I try an kick it up with fruit, or sometimes, I even do it savory. (yes, it is a thing! https://www.shape.com/healthy-eating...atmeal-recipes)

Quote:
Lunch is usually a peanut butter and chocolate chip sandwich with chips and baby carrots, whether I'm at work or off. Sometimes I have a hummus sandwich instead when I want savory instead of sweet.
Pretty well have whole wheat sandwich, poached egg, and a fruit. Sandwich may have cheese, or mackerel or something similar.

Quote:
Dinner is probably the most varied, but still not that much. I rotate between:
  • some kind of pasta
  • burritos or tacos
  • veggie burgers or fake chicken sandwiches
  • some kind of Asian inspired meal (stir fry, teriyaki, or a peanut sauce; either noodles or rice with vegetables (more rarely than the other meals)
  • a large salad on occasion when I feel like I haven't had enough vegetables (also rare)
I am heavy on vegetables, usually raw as in a salad. Always includes protein such tofu or beans, tomatoes etc. I have meat about 3 times a week, usually chicken or pork.

That is probably 90% of my diet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 01:38 PM

7,839 posts, read 10,144,052 times
Most of it is the same, some variations, but not much. Try to include what's healthy and what I like and there's just so many foods that could be included. Also, price, availability, time to prepare, etc.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:20 AM

34,529 posts, read 42,694,765 times
I would take a stab at more ethnic cooking, except I don’t like having to buy a bunch of spices in order to make it. So we’ll just go out for Indian and Chinese, etc. I tried a Moroccan recipe once, but I had most of the spices already.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:39 AM

3,097 posts, read 1,464,990 times
My dinner menus aren't necessarily in rotation, though some get repeated every couple of months if they're really good or if we've found well that they work well for company. Vegetable sides will get repeated more often. I don't plan meals in advance and start every day looking at what's on hand and then perusing blogs or recipe sites for ideas and then going to the market. We like to experiment with different types of food and recipes rather than make something we've made before.

Breakfast is usually the same thing. I've found what works best to keep my blood sugar in control and almost always eat my eggs and single slice of toast every day. Hubby has cold or hot cereal every single day. Lunch varies. Hubby takes leftovers or makes a sandwich for work and I have whatever appeals that day, often something with eggs.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:13 AM

17,157 posts, read 22,161,261 times
I like to cook and collect kitchen gadgets ….recently bought an air fryer and insta pot so like trying new methods to cook

my diet.... a moving target... within the last year ive tried to cut out sugars and carbs... and im in the best health ever..
I do eat berries , very little veggies but love proteins .. and eat lots of dairy ...cheeses eggs ..and also love seafood.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:39 PM

44 posts, read 8,559 times
I. Love. To. Cook! I've lived in many different countries and all over the U.S. so my dishes are widely varied... not just from country to country but throughout time as well - Victorian era, Tudor era, Edwardian era, Depression era. It was always a fun adventure!

As much as I still enjoy cooking, my attitude has been changing over the last few years. I'm sick and tired of all the unhealthy garbage in our food, even when it comes to buying "fresh." NOTHING is what it should be anymore. I rarely (and I mean rarely) even eat out anymore because I'm so used to homemade food now that eating out doesn't taste as good as it used to.

Today, my attitude towards food has changed. I still enjoy cooking but now I only eat one meal a day - dinner. I'll have some coffee in the morning and water the rest of the day. I used to live to eat and ate according to my moods! Now, I just eat one meal a day to keep myself going.

Basically, if it comes in a bag, box, can, jar or bottle anymore, I don't eat it; with the exception of things like spices, apple cider vinegar, and healthy ingredients like that. Just quality meats, fruits, veggies, whole grass-fed dairy, nuts and seeds. So, I still get the enjoyment of cooking, but just a lot less. As a result, the food bill has gone way down, the brain fog has lifted, and I'm seeing good changes physically. I even gave away a ton of my kitchen gadgets and supplies! Yes, I like getting healthier but it really happened more because of my discouragement with the food supply!

Old 08-14-2018, 05:52 PM

21,871 posts, read 12,745,054 times
Weekday breakfast can be pretty mundane and not all that varied. Breakfast is just something that I "have" to eat. It is typically just some granola with almond milk or a smoothie that I made the night before. I don't have a rotation for cooking dinner. I get tired of eating the same thing and want to try something different all the time. For example, tonight I made pasta in a cream sauce with salmon cakes. I am marinating a chicken in Thai spices that I will grill tomorrow night. Maybe the quick pickling of Korean radish and cucumbers I made today will be ready. If not, I will make a stir-fry of some beautiful pole beans I saw today at the market. Thursday night will probably be a Singapore noodle that I will make with shrimp and leftover Peking duck that I had for lunch today. Friday night is still a mystery.

When I go out to eat, I want something that I cannot or don't have the inclination to make at home.

Old 08-15-2018, 09:10 PM

485 posts, read 319,162 times
my family are pretty adventurous eaters with exception of our youngest at 4.5 with so much limitations due to his allergies and texture sensory issues. So for him, definitely rotate between 8-10 meals a week that I know he will eat.

rest of us can pretty much eat anything with few no no's. It isn't so much a set per week but rather see myself as a seasonal cook; ie summer is often all about light breakfast of homemade yogurt with fresh berries, oatmeal, waffles, eggs with or without vegetables. Lunches is often soups (made in my IP) different variegations of salads and sandwiches, and maybe leftovers from dinner night before. Dinner is often grilled meat/vegetables, fish, more salads, hotdogs/burgers, tomatoes, corn on cob, etc.

Fall and winter would see me making more variations of soups, chili, stews, pork with homemade apple sauce and vegetables, fish bake, pasta with Italian sausage, lasanage bake, Italian meatballs with my red sauce over pasta, etc.

spring is a mix of winter and summer foods depending how cold/wet/etc it is outside and what I have in freezer/pantry. We love to eat out which we do often; 2-3x a week easily and often go for ethnic food.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:26 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Breakfast is varied. We do eat a lot of eggs. So an omelette, fried eggs or an egg sandwich. My DH likes Eggo's which is nice and easy. I will eat either eggs, hot or cold cereal or a smoothie. Pancakes and/or french toast is about once a week.

Lunch-He eats either peanut butter and jelly with a Yoo Hoo, tuna, chicken salad, egg salad or ham sandwich. Sometimes I have a sandwich or a salad of some kind.

Dinner is pretty basic. I rotate about 20 different dinners. Chicken cutlets, chicken parmesan, chicken and gravy with rice, grilled chicken legs, roast chicken, pot roast, grilled steak, Pioneer Woman's steak in butter, hamburgers and brown gravy, sirloin tip roast, pork chops, pulled pork, sausage and peppers. lasagna, meatball subs, ravioli, pizza, hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, ham steak, shrimp, BLT's, and soups. That's what my DH will eat. I like salads, bean/veggie burgers, lentil tacos, pumpkin chili, baked clams, stir fry and lots of salads. We have no set schedule. I do watch the food sales and stock up. At any given time I can make at least 5 different dinners from the food in the freezer.

When our life is calm I like to try new recipes...now is not that time, lol.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:31 AM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 3 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,483,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would take a stab at more ethnic cooking, except I don’t like having to buy a bunch of spices in order to make it. So we’ll just go out for Indian and Chinese, etc. I tried a Moroccan recipe once, but I had most of the spices already.

Same here. I don't go out often but there are some foods I just can't duplicate at home. I don't want too many spices taking up space rather than being used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink