U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 12:50 PM

2,616 posts, read 1,119,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
The hogs they breed for bacon are not the same as other hogs. Tamworths spring to mind as a bacon hog, but that's a heritage breed. Not sure which commercial breeds they raise for bacon.

But given how hot it is there, I doubt they're raising much in the way of typical USian commercial hogs. Maybe some variety of Guinea hogs, which came from Africa, or other breeds adapted to hot weather. Many such breeds are a lot closer to wild boars than other domesticated hogs. I did note that OSU's breed web pages list NO breeds of swine in South America, just horses, fowl, cattle, and llamas. Oh, and sheep and goats.

Your cattle all look like Brahmas because Brahmas are THE hot weather bovine. Nearly all, if not all, hot weather cattle have a lot of Brahma in them, if they're not just straight Brahma to start with.
Thanks, Pyewackette; that's really interesting. The other cuts of pork are excellent; right now I'm marinading pork loin. That has been consistently good. I sure didn't know "bacon hogs" were different!

The other weird thing is that I don't like any of the fish here, none of the local stuff, even fresh off the boat. My theory on that is because they are all warm-water fish. Boy, do I miss my wild Alaskan salmon. We used to have that a few times a week!

Plus, tuna is king but there's no albacore!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 12:56 PM

10,150 posts, read 16,735,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Don't know how to cook bacon?
Here is instruction:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BmZtTdzn5k-/

Funny, but I much prefer to bake bacon now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or