U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 11:05 AM

1,691 posts, read 665,871 times

Advertisements

Bar food is loaded with Sodium for one reason: to make you more thirsty. If it happens to taste good, the bar owner wins twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times
I don't get people that don't support chains.

Chains employ locals.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:23 PM

28,209 posts, read 2,196,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I don't get people that don't support chains.

Chains employ locals.
I agree, & many chains are franchises, so it is a small business too.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:04 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,335,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It's probably a chicken and egg thing. Chain restaurants with a certain number of locations are required by Obamacare rules to make nutrition information available, but it doesn't mean that they're going to start making healthier food.

It is interesting to see what the numbers are, though. I have a friend who loves to go to Friday's. Not my favorite, but I humor her. In looking over the calorie counts on the website I was surprised to see how many more calories the salads had than some of the burgers, even.
This stood out to me too. It was strange to see. I asked two people I know who works/has worked for both, and one said chains were more unhealthy, the other said the opposite. The one who said the local pubs are unhealthier works at Buffalo Wild Wings and said the reason was because they'll typically use the cheapest oils, chips, potatoes, beef, etc to save money. But I have no idea how true that is.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM

1,222 posts, read 1,218,376 times
I see nothing unhealthy about bar food. Pass the blooming onion, please.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM

4,841 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Some of the greasy spoon dives have the best tasting foods! I had a philly cheese steak sub. To die for! The tacos were a great contender.
Healthy? Sure. Got veggie,protein and grain. Where's the problem?
Why should I line the pocket of a chain owner when dear old uncle freds diner/pub suits my taste buds better. And he's less expensive.
We had a local watering hole that served fried oysters at the bar. They saw potential to open a restaurant from all there pub foods. Today they are booked weekly as their menu has some soups and sandwiches that are divine.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:08 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
I don't particularly like places like Applebee's, Chili's or the chains like them. Their menu items are all geared toward using prepackaged, easy to prepare, focused on profit items. It takes me forever to finally just settle on something when I order.....not because I can't decide between great choices but because I am having an internal battle to just go with something without ordering chicken fingers every single time. Their wings and ribs suck.

When I go out to eat, I could not give two rips less about the healthiness of the menu items. I don't go out to eat, especially to a bar; with dreams of eating healthy. I order what I like and what I want when I go out. The best food/best restaurants are the ones that prepare real food, the way it is supposed to be prepared with all of the good stuff. They don't have somebody in a lab analyzing the food and ingredients trying to find a way to cut a couple of calories by using a different oil or whatever but the food come out tasting "almost as good."

As far as bar food goes though, it is typically fried chicken fingers, fries, burgers from a flat grill all good and greasy, maybe some fried cheese sticks or fried pickles, and then your random salad to throw the health nuts a bone. If you are concerned about how healthy all your food is, eating at a bar probably isn't for you. lol

Excellent!!

very well said (above bolded)

Old 08-14-2018, 04:00 PM

11,697 posts, read 16,450,382 times
It will be hot hot ribs, beef/pork sliders, homemade old fashioned cheese balls, home made crackers and probably some fruit/veggie on Thursday. Does anyone care about healthy? Happy hour!!!

Old 08-14-2018, 04:45 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,335,668 times
If there's a perception that I'm searching for healthy bar food that would be incorrect haha it was just a question out of curiosity.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:52 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
I think the mini-buffet in some bars is a little less sanitary than a Wendy's salad bar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or