U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 02:01 PM

10,131 posts, read 16,721,272 times

Advertisements

I would get very bored with a 3 item diet, but there is not a single doubt that one of my three foods would be potatoes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 03:23 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,151,521 times
Peanut Butter on toast (I'll count it as one), Yogurt and Dark Chocolate.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM

4,847 posts, read 2,149,409 times
For close to six months I lived on: 1/4 of a peanut butter sandwich per day. And 64 ozs of water. I got down to 91 lbs. Looked anorexic despite it not being about deliberately limiting my food intake. I simply had about ten $ to spare after paying my necessities: rent/utility and a bus fare. So I bought a loaf of bread and pnut butter. I recall Co workers insisting I was on drugs and shot up. How limited they were in their gossip. None ever speculated that maybe on minimum wage I didn't have food. Forget about soup kitchens or state aid. They insisted my pay could afford groceries. It took getting a better paying job to incorporate foods back into my daily meals. Really was a challenge to keep foods down after only exsiting on pnut butter and bread. So can I exist on limited foods...yeah. would I want to. Absolutely not!

Old 08-15-2018, 04:40 PM

12,447 posts, read 13,091,627 times
I have now for many many years by choice: rice, banana or apple, tofu or tuna, oatmeal or cheerios, fresh baked bread, and a bag of potato chips or pretzels. And a few spices: garlic, vanilla, orange and almond extract, curry, sea salt.

I am someone who finds a main dish I like and literally eat it every day for several years. Then change it up a bit and have that one for the next several years. My criteria for food for several decades now has been: easy, quick, inexpensive, delicious, healthy, kosher, tastes great as leftovers, packs well for lunch.

Old 08-15-2018, 04:46 PM

12,447 posts, read 13,091,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My diet has become simpler out of necessity rather than choice. At first I was sad about it, but it's actually much nicer not to be covered in hives or ending up in the ER after most meals. And now when I hear someone say, "Oh, I'd die without peanut butter," or "I just couldn't live without sushi!" it just makes me laugh, because when you have no choice, you find the will to go on without whatever food you think is necessary for life.
I had an office mate who when I told him I stopped eating all dairy, said that he would kill himself if he could not eat cheese. I figured he was joking, he said that he was not. When I was told I was allergic to dairy and that is why I was so sick, I made a list of foods I ate, and 80% of what I ate all the time was dairy. So it was a big change. For the first time in my life I was not sick. amazing.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:07 PM

17,161 posts, read 22,175,230 times
I could subsist like the eskimos did for thousands of years without heart disease and very very little cancer.....just meats and fats.... no grains, no veggies..(they didnt eat sugars/carbs those are the real food demons...not fats/not meat)

Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 PM

10,382 posts, read 2,816,810 times
Could I? As in, literally? Yeah, I guess so, if the alternative was starvation.

Would I? As in, willingly? No, no, no, and no.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 PM

27,504 posts, read 17,642,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I could subsist like the eskimos did for thousands of years without heart disease and very very little cancer.....just meats and fats.... no grains, no veggies..(they didnt eat sugars/carbs those are the real food demons...not fats/not meat)
That wasn't their diet, or more specifically, that was a small part of it.

The preferred parts were things like liver, stomach, skin, eyeballs, tripe..... all the parts that contained the nutrients. It's fine to try and recreate an aboriginal diet, but you need to do the whole thing, and not just the parts you like, and that doesn't account for any genetic differences.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-15-2018, 08:17 PM

10,382 posts, read 2,816,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That wasn't their diet, or more specifically, that was a small part of it.

The preferred parts were things like liver, stomach, skin, eyeballs, tripe..... all the parts that contained the nutrients. It's fine to try and recreate an aboriginal diet, but you need to do the whole thing, and not just the parts you like, and that doesn't account for any genetic differences.
That makes sense. Even obligate carnivores, which humans are not, must eat the whole animal, or some approximation, to remain healthy.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:23 PM

28 posts, read 10,007 times
Yes, a vegan WFPB diet. Lots of vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains. Simple, but incredibly nutrient dense. In other words, the healthiest diet on the planet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink