U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 09:04 AM

505 posts, read 134,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1eutian View Post
Several times a day I'll eat small amounts, never to the point of fullness. My weight hasn't changed for 20 years. I believe it's because I don't eat 3 squares a day.
Thanks for mentioning this. One thing I learned is that with IBS, it is better to eat multiple small meals (I call them "feedings", because I can't consider a bowl of 2 oz of pasta plus 4 oz of yogurt a "meal") than three larger ones. But I had become a "grazer" about a decade earlier, when I no longer had to cook meals for anyone else. If I felt hungry, I ate a little something. And because I never enjoyed cooking meals, I was happy to not have to fuss with planning or making them.

I am best off now if I have something to eat, even if it's just some bread and yogurt, every 2 to 3 hours throughout the day until just before I go to bed. Going longer than 3 hours between some kind of food is risky. For example, yesterday due to repair work going on from 9 to 5 I forgot to eat anything at all between noon and 6 pm, then had one slice of bread with a little light butter on it. That empty-then-something scenario in my gut triggered my first IBS attack in almost six weeks. :-( Ugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:24 AM

2,628 posts, read 1,119,381 times
I had a great-uncle who got mustard-gassed in WW1. After that, he lived alone on just sardines and saltines. He lived into his 90s and the doc said if he had to choose one food ---sardines fit the bill. The nutrients they pack are just amazing.

For me, salmon (wild, Alaskan) Caesar salad and eggs. Lobster and asparagus would be nice too.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:15 AM

11,364 posts, read 5,868,909 times
If I were limited to 3 foods for financial reasons, it would be chicken, rice, and spinach. Boneless chicken breast or thigh is $2.00/pound. 20 pound bags of basmati rice are cheap in the Indian grocery store. Grow my own spinach in the summer. Frozen or bagged fresh the rest of the year.

Of course, I’d be able to use herbs, spices, and condiments. Thai chicken satay. Korean BBQ sauce with boneless thighs. Indian chicken saag with garam masala.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:49 AM

9,194 posts, read 10,149,152 times
I messed up this one. I was looking for gastronomic responses, not a lot of health garbage or poverty diets.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

1,237 posts, read 1,325,878 times
So for a gastronomic response, no, I wouldn't like that at all. I love a huge variety in my foods.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:49 PM

505 posts, read 134,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I messed up this one. I was looking for gastronomic responses, not a lot of health garbage or poverty diets.
Those of us dealing with "health garbage" appreciate your understanding and sympathy, I'm sure.

Old 08-18-2018, 03:42 PM

44 posts, read 8,642 times
Quote:
Gastronomically speaking, I would do what I had to do. What other choice is there for anyone? It's either feel better by limiting what you're able to eat or be absolutely miserable eating things that negatively affected you. It's kind of a no-brainer, isn't it?

Old 08-18-2018, 10:29 PM

29,614 posts, read 31,942,975 times
A simple diet yes, but not JUST 3 THINGS. I would get bored though.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:33 AM

6,038 posts, read 5,810,771 times
Quote:
I believe that I could live on just fish, eggs, and tomato. I'd like some spices and condiments along with a variety of recipes, but those three things would satisfy me.
Quote:

There can be no serious gastronomic responses to your question because gastronomy means good eating, not bad eating, there can only be what you have called "health garbage and poverty diet" responses. Yes, you did mess up with that last ungracious response of yours which was a rude slap in the face to everyone who responded.

You should change your belief system about what kinds of foods you think you could survive on. If you were to try to live on just fish, eggs and tomatoes and some spices and condiments, no matter if you had a thousand recipes, you wouldn't live happily or for very long. You would die from malnutrition, food boredom and depression if your throat and stomach ulcers, organ failures, severe diarrhea, vomiting and acid reflux didn't kill you first.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,063,112 times
Quote:
I believe that I could live on just fish, eggs, and tomato. I'd like some spices and condiments along with a variety of recipes, but those three things would satisfy me.
Not that simple.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs with brocolli. Threw on some parmesan today though.

Lunchtime snack apple and cheddar.

Dinner was rice, black beans, and more brocolli.

Fairly standard for what I eat. Might be a salad in there, chicken or hamburger some days, some other vegetable. Oatmeal or yoghurt and some berries for breakfast. Almost everything I eat is 3 to 5 ingredients though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink