U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 PM

705 posts, read 402,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I messed up this one. I was looking for gastronomic responses, not a lot of health garbage or poverty diets.
Maybe you could have been more articulate in your presentation? And your follow up response? I don't even know WTH this means...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 11:55 AM

11,830 posts, read 7,707,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I believe that I could live on just fish, eggs, and tomato. I'd like some spices and condiments along with a variety of recipes, but those three things would satisfy me.
Food is life. If you chose to live that way then there's not much left to it.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 2,580,286 times
Default I would say 80% of my diet is these 10 ingredients

Rice Cakes
Apples
Peanut butter
Fruit-sweetened Jelly
Special K
Strawberries
Salad (spinach, romaine, peppers, onions, tomatoes)
Grilled chicken
Pineapple
Melons (cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew)

I add bread, beef, pizza, average 1x a week.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 AM

15,656 posts, read 8,764,064 times
There was once a discussion on another popular forum that shall remain nameless that asked participants to come up with a grocery list of just twenty items that could sustain them for the rest of their lives. The list had to include everything from herbs and spices to cooking fats. As I recall, the lists became pretty consistent after a few pages of discussion. Common items included salt, pepper, olive oil, whole chicken, lemons, garlic, onions, tomatoes, some type of green veg (e.g., spinach or broccoli), beans (usually black or garbanzo), a whole grain (like farro or quinoa), and blueberries or strawberries.

Old 09-29-2018, 11:09 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,189,403 times
I could live on such a simple diet I could be a survivalist...live off the land

I could live like grizzly adams or jeremiah Johnson

Old 09-29-2018, 11:15 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,189,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There was once a discussion on another popular forum that shall remain nameless that asked participants to come up with a grocery list of just twenty items that could sustain them for the rest of their lives. The list had to include everything from herbs and spices to cooking fats. As I recall, the lists became pretty consistent after a few pages of discussion. Common items included salt, pepper, olive oil, whole chicken, lemons, garlic, onions, tomatoes, some type of green veg (e.g., spinach or broccoli), beans (usually black or garbanzo), a whole grain (like farro or quinoa), and blueberries or strawberries.
reminds me of an episode on the history channel a few years back they dropped 11-12 adults in Alaska in the summer/fall and they had to "survive" they had guns and ammo and someone that knew the edibles for foraging...
the first day two guys went to shoot ducks and the ladies said "they are so adorable you cant kill them" two more days go buy they all are getting VERY hungry....the same ladies are now telling them guys to shoot anything thats edible...squirrels birds etc.. and they did and the ladies had no problem ripping their feather off and dressing them.... hunger is quite the motivation....
when asked about this one lady said we didnt have the luxury of being squeamish.....we felt we were starving ...

Old 09-29-2018, 12:46 PM

15,656 posts, read 8,764,064 times
If I could only buy twenty grocery items (in unlimited quantities) to feed me for the rest of my life, I'd probably choose...
  1. Salt
  2. Dried Italian herb mix
  3. Garlic
  4. Onions
  5. Mushrooms
  6. Olive oil
  7. Whole wheat flour
  8. Farro
  9. Eggs
  10. Sugar
  11. Garbanzo beans
  12. Tomatoes
  13. Spinach
  14. Sweet potatoes
  15. Lemons
  16. Blueberries
  17. Whole chicken
  18. Yogurt
  19. Parmesan cheese
  20. Walnuts

This list is based on nutritional needs, flexibility of ingredients, and personal flavor preference. Anybody else want to have a go?

Old 09-29-2018, 01:02 PM

5,063 posts, read 606,326 times
Without (hopefully) boring you to death, I have been on a modified Primal Blueprint diet (low carb, based on Paleo). With the exception of condiments and spices, my grocery list (food) is the same every week and consists of just 30 items -- the majority of items being vegetables -- and yet we have a wide variety of meals. Besides about a dozen different vegetables, this list includes eggs, meats (including poultry and seafood), coffee or tea, almonds, half and half, hard cheese, cottage cheese, strawberries, Lindt 90 VERY dark chocolate (which we melt and dip strawberries in), and either Almond or Paleo flour. Either olive oil or butter for cooking, and no refined sugar, grains or ready-made foods.

The only things I really miss are pastries, pizza, pasta, and warm artisan bread -- but I can live without these things. Btw, I have lost eight pounds (mostly water, though, I think) and my blood pressure has dropped from 135/79 to 120/73 in just 19 days (so far); I still want to lose about 25 more pounds, but I will go off the diet completely during holiday weeks -- so I figure that I will be on this diet for another five months before I reach my goal.

Old 09-29-2018, 03:18 PM

15,198 posts, read 15,225,705 times
I adapted to a diet of mainly meat and eggs.

Then I stopped adding any salt to my food......got used to that and my BP really showed an impressive drop.

Now I am used to this way of eating.

Old 09-30-2018, 03:35 AM

8,842 posts, read 8,178,280 times
There are just too many "diets." The proponents of each consider their diet to be both simple, i.e., "I only eat this, I don't eat that," and the One True Path to Perfect Nutrition.

But they contradict each other, all these One True Paths. I finally gave up and decided I'll just eat what I like, and not too much of it, when I heard about the "no-olive-oil" diet in a class I took on plant-based eating, right after I finished a class on the Mediterranean diet.

I'm done with "diets."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink