U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:06 PM

10,148 posts, read 18,123,288 times

Advertisements

I could live on good bread, spuds and butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:16 PM

2,276 posts, read 924,043 times
I would have a hard time eating a limited diet as I love and crave variety in my diet.

If I had to go with 3 things to eat: Potatoes, nuts, grapes

Old 09-30-2018, 11:06 PM

22,696 posts, read 21,741,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
I would have a hard time eating a limited diet as I love and crave variety in my diet.

If I had to go with 3 things to eat: Potatoes, nuts, grapes
My mother called that being "good" hungry. You crave certain foods and want them when you want them. You don't want just anything, but just that one thing which would satisfy you. I've always been that way.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:07 AM

15,558 posts, read 8,734,436 times
I learned recently that the southern United States had an outbreak of pellagra (niacin deficiency) in the early twentieth century. That came as a shock to me. Variety is good. It's not necessary to eat everything under the sun, but three foods is likely too few to maintain good health over time.

Old 10-01-2018, 09:56 AM

18,844 posts, read 12,465,112 times
By choice, I like to eat a variety of foods. I eat meat, but I enjoy good veggies and fruit. I also like yogurt, cheese, eggs, oats, and good bread. I think the variety of foods that we have now is wonderful.

I could live on a simple diet if I had to, but would feel deprived.

I guess Iím spoiled.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:21 AM

51,196 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I adapted to a diet of mainly meat and eggs.

Then I stopped adding any salt to my food......got used to that and my BP really showed an impressive drop.

Now I am used to this way of eating.
I've never had high BP with the exception of the week before I gave birth to my daughter. My parents both did, though, and so I learned to eat some things without salt. However, I can't imagine a fresh garden tomato without salt, or corn on the cob or a baked potato without butter and salt. I would just not eat them.

Well, I would probably still eat the tomato.

A hard-boiled egg without salt?

I don't add salt in cooking for anyone else because not everyone can have it, but I hope it never ever comes to that for me.

Old 10-01-2018, 10:38 AM

3,462 posts, read 1,641,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I've never had high BP with the exception of the week before I gave birth to my daughter. My parents both did, though, and so I learned to eat some things without salt. However, I can't imagine a fresh garden tomato without salt, or corn on the cob or a baked potato without butter and salt. I would just not eat them.

Well, I would probably still eat the tomato.

A hard-boiled egg without salt?

I don't add salt in cooking for anyone else because not everyone can have it, but I hope it never ever comes to that for me.
Salt is really hard to do without - so many foods just taste right with it! However, since my heart attack, I've learned to substitute garlic and onion powder for salt. I use them on everything that would normally take salt (and a few things that wouldn't, like putting brown sugar and garlic powder on sweet potatoes, a personal quirk of mine). I even sprinkle the powders on salads to try and cut down on the amount of salad dressing. It somehow makes the salads seem more substantial (like, it will definitely ward off vampires, lol.)

Old 10-01-2018, 11:24 AM

357 posts, read 125,724 times
I need variety! But I will share that I lived on fresh fruit and leafy greens for a few months at a time when my eating disorder was in high gear. Never again.

Old 10-01-2018, 12:17 PM

441 posts, read 359,059 times
Today, I would choose Brussel sprouts, potatoes, and sour cream.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,289,133 times
No, I crave variety in my diet, I live in an area full of many ethnic eateries & I like most of them.

But I suspect I could live happily on a genuine Mediterranean diet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink