U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 09:06 AM

866 posts, read 400,890 times

Advertisements

About 5 years ago I finally kicked a lifelong soda habit. Early on in my soda-drinking days it was the regular caffeinated, sugared soft drinks. As I got older and more weight conscious, I switched to diet coke.

Soda is hard to give up because it's cheap, readily available, and it checks a lot of the addiction reward buttons. Quitting takes a lot of discipline.

If you're having trouble, try setting incremental goals of reducing consumption to a certain number a day, then go without for a day, a week, a month, etc. Don't beat yourself up if you stumble. If you can make it a month most likely you've beaten the habit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM

25,863 posts, read 49,763,368 times
Portion control and moderation is a good approach...

I also have gravitated to the smaller 8 oz cans...

One thing that has come as a surprise is Mom, who is very health conscious and for a time a nationally ranked athlete never did sweets... especially soda, cake, ice cream, cookies etc... this is why these things were never around... except maybe on a birthday.

Mom has Alzheimers and has developed a taste for all of the above... to the extreme.

I had a 6 pack of 8 oz Coke that she finished in two days... same for ice cream..

Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM

4,636 posts, read 1,156,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I have had a habit of drinking soda and I’m trying to quit; anybody else here that is trying to give up on soda also?
I was never addicted/obsessed with it to begin with.

I have some bad news for you though, sports drinks and fruit juices are just as unhealthy as soda. Massive sugar is used into any and every drink you can imagine, even Arizona Green Tea

You’re going to have to start drinking more war/unsweetened tea and cut down in moderation everything else.

Sugar is not bad by any stretch of the imagination. What’s bad is that we consume far too much of it.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:16 AM

1,763 posts, read 1,172,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I had my first soda in my 20's... never grew up around it.

Worked offered them for free and I started to look forward to an ice cold Coke or Pepsi... and it wasn't long before I was drinking more and enjoyed it.

My headaches went away too...

I try to limit to one can a day... but know I really should stop all together.

Same for me - 1 Diet Coke a day. Sometimes I don't have one, but then there are days that I CRAVE it.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:28 AM

758 posts, read 367,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Portion control and moderation is a good approach...

I also have gravitated to the smaller 8 oz cans...

One thing that has come as a surprise is Mom, who is very health conscious and for a time a nationally ranked athlete never did sweets... especially soda, cake, ice cream, cookies etc... this is why these things were never around... except maybe on a birthday.

Mom has Alzheimers and has developed a taste for all of the above... to the extreme.

I had a 6 pack of 8 oz Coke that she finished in two days... same for ice cream..
My Mom was the same with Alzheimers. Ice cream, candy bars. She could eat a whole can of cashews at one sitting. It`s such a terrible disease.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM

25,863 posts, read 49,763,368 times
I'm torn... let her have the enjoyment which she really does or eliminate it. (I do all her shopping)

She was the kind 35 years ago that was mixing her own trail mix for Ultrarunning and grew bountiful organic fruits and vegetables in her garden...

If soda is there... she will drink it... but Ice Cream is something she will ask for and let me know if it is getting low.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:59 AM

2,710 posts, read 968,533 times
Seven years and some ago I quit smoking cold turkey. Got up one night at 2 am and threw a fortune's worth of cigarettes down the incinerator chute, along with lighters, ashtrays, matches. I haven't smoked since, barely remember the first few weeks as my brain melted down. However, it's what got me to stop drinking Coke because it was my end of the day treat: open a coke and smoke some cigarettes and chill. When I quit smoking, I was so afraid to have a Coke because the association was so great that it was some years before I had a soda again.

No one mentions that sodas also have some acids that are really bad for your bones, so I was pretty proud of myself. Until I had gallbladder issues and couldn't touch anything fatty. Not before, not after, so while looking for something to make life worthwhile, there it was: soda. So the addiction rekindled and it's taken me some time to get over it. The funny thing is that now I no longer drink coffee because it never tasted the same after those horrible gall bladder antibiotics they gave me. Coffee, and I mean coal tar espresso, is now also a sometimes treat.

Anyone who is now a tea drinker and near a Whole Foods should look up Paromi. They have teas with serious flavor. Their flavors are bold, not like those little dry grocery store tea bags. If you can find a WF that gives samples, that will be your new addiction.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:31 PM

11,700 posts, read 2,092,581 times
Homemade ginger beer is a yummy lower-sugar option.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 PM

16,942 posts, read 19,705,377 times
I gave up diet cola and regular cola in 2012. It was easier than I thought. Switched it up with seltzer and or water. Try Flavored seltzer for a nice change, or make lemon and cucumber water. Growing up we always had soda to drink and when I went to a friends house for dinner and the kids were drinking milk with dinner I thought it was strange because you drank milk with cake ad cookies.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:38 PM

3,581 posts, read 2,705,152 times
I only ever drank diet soda, and quit cold turkey about 4.5 years ago. I thought it would be tough, but it wasn't. Every once in a long while I will feel like having one, so I probably drink one twice a year (Diet Dr. Pepper).

I wish I could get my husband to quit. We don't keep it at home, but his office stocks all kinds of drinks and snacks and he can't seem to kick the habit permanently. I'm convinced it would clear up some issues for him.

Soda -- regular or diet -- is one of the best things to quit consuming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink