U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 10:01 PM

486 posts, read 321,266 times

Advertisements

my 7 year old son was asking me when was I gonna start making soups, turn the oven on to make his favorite lasagna bake and Italian sausage with pasta. I told him not till much later in Sept, cuz its too blasted hot to deal with the oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM

18,987 posts, read 12,570,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's kind of a tough question. A pot of soup or stew simmering on a snowy day is comfort food for the soul, but the flavors of summer are wonderful, too. If I could get really good tomatoes, peaches, and sweet corn in December, I would be one happy camper.
I know, I know. That’s why I make sure to eat peaches as long as I can. I do love them. We have corn about every week in summer. Here tomatoes come in late, but I always look forward to the local ones.

But peaches—yum. I never tire of them, and then, suddenly it seems, they’re gone.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:54 PM

824 posts, read 279,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Considering I live where it doesn't get cold, ever, I still cook chili and stews and use my oven.
Wow, you got stones lady. I live a half hour north in Delray and I haven't fried an egg since before the fourth of July!
Actually I look forward to cooking indoors as soon as the nights cool down, which they will do eventually, right?

Now I'm prepping a pork leg roast to cook overnight in the slow cooker on the patio outside.
As soon as football season starts the outdoor grill is my go to stove which I'll use for meats and vegetables.
Then I'll phase in my stove top and I'll finally make me some eggs. Yay!
P.S. I use the toaster and microwave ad libitum year round

Old 08-16-2018, 05:33 AM

692 posts, read 148,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Wow, you got stones lady. I live a half hour north in Delray and I haven't fried an egg since before the fourth of July!
Actually I look forward to cooking indoors as soon as the nights cool down, which they will do eventually, right?

Now I'm prepping a pork leg roast to cook overnight in the slow cooker on the patio outside.
As soon as football season starts the outdoor grill is my go to stove which I'll use for meats and vegetables.
Then I'll phase in my stove top and I'll finally make me some eggs. Yay!
P.S. I use the toaster and microwave ad libitum year round
Considering, as you both know, we only have two seasons, Summer and tourist. Summer is way longer than tourist by the calendar, but tourist is way too long, having to see 300+ pound men on the beach in Speedos. Especially when they are sideways to.

We bought induction burners to keep the heat in the kitchen down and try to plan meals to use them. I also have several pieces of outdoor cooking equipment including a large BGE, Horizon off set pit and a couple other pieces.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:41 AM

7 posts, read 1,197 times
I'm not waiting for it to cool down before I make it again.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM

8,866 posts, read 8,199,716 times
Lots of good ideas. I hadn't thought about fall and winter cooking specifically yet, but I realize after reading your posts so far, I am looking forward to some split pea soup, chicken soup, roasting a whole chicken (served with mashed potatoes and green beans), and Sloppy Joes. Since I make chili year round, I may not wait until fall for the Sloppy Joes.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:03 PM

10,302 posts, read 12,440,161 times
Oh, the other thing I am looking forward to is spaghetti gravy. Way too warm to make that right now. But I have lots of fresh basil in the garden for pesto, so we're still enjoying that.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:20 PM

18,045 posts, read 3,643,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's kind of a tough question. A pot of soup or stew simmering on a snowy day is comfort food for the soul, but the flavors of summer are wonderful, too. If I could get really good tomatoes, peaches, and sweet corn in December, I would be one happy camper.

So true...while we are dreaming of fall cooking there is still the end of summer dishes to savor a bit longer...
my tomatoes are ripening late so should have some til freeze...more tomato pies, gazpacho, mayo & tomato sandwiches etc.

Corn still sweet and plentiful....I eat off the cob with nothing added.

... nectarines still juicy and tasty. Made a nectarine and peaches cobbler....love the combo.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:27 PM

13,088 posts, read 7,231,955 times
I miss pot roast with red potatoes, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, and an onion. I roast it with some red wine, and even better, Marsala. It makes the best gravy.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:50 PM

10,302 posts, read 12,440,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I miss pot roast with red potatoes, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, and an onion. I roast it with some red wine, and even better, Marsala. It makes the best gravy.
sounds nice, and yes way too hot to make that right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or