U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 01:14 PM

18,890 posts, read 12,498,870 times

Advertisements

Right now, we are grilling the protein, or we are doing sandwiches and/or salads. I will cook tomorrow night. Iíll make cutlets of two chicken breasts, pan fry and add a caprese. I canít get enough caorese salad during the summer. I have a supply if fresh basil, soó.

For me real cooking begins in the fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 03:40 PM

7,861 posts, read 10,158,141 times
I can't wait for a pot of Manhattan Clam Chowder. And, Potato Soup. Homemade Hot chocolate w/ whipped cream. Gingerbread.

Old 08-16-2018, 04:05 PM

6,934 posts, read 3,019,098 times
I grill outdoors year round thanks to mild climate. I HATE cold weather..when we lived in areas with 4 seasons I always gained "winter weight" thanks to heavy winter cooking. I know I don't have to cook heavier meals in winter, but look at previous responses from other...that's what lends itself to cold weather.

Old 08-16-2018, 10:18 PM

9,495 posts, read 13,353,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It won't cool much where I am but I am looking forward to soups, beef stew, pumpkin chili, a big pan of lasagna, roast chicken and lots of baking. I love homemade bread with soups like pasta fagioli. Split pea is another good one. I also want to try making bread bowls with broccoli and cheese soup this year. Yum.
Couldn't rep again, but I love pumpkin, can't believe I'd never heard of pumpkin chili before! Browsed a few recipes and it looks yummy, definitely on my list of new things to try, so thanks.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:05 AM

16,942 posts, read 19,695,510 times
I cook pretty much the same stuff no matter what the season is. It just depends on weather I cook it indoors or outdoors.
My Weber grill is like a convection oven so if I want meat loaf, or a roasted chicken but don't want to heat the house I make it on my grill outside just like I would in my oven. Baking breads, cakes, cookie or pies I wait for cooler weather though.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:58 PM

822 posts, read 276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
sounds nice, and yes way too hot to make that right now
Yes, Marsala beef stew sounds absolutely delicious!

If you have an outside outlet use a dutch oven like Le Creuset on an induction appliance.
They are not expensive... the induction cooktop, that is.
You can also buy a small metal plate to transfer heat to non-induction cookware and then it can double to keep casseroles warm at a buffet.

Last edited by PamelaIamela; 08-17-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 PM

30,469 posts, read 9,103,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
It won't cool much where I am but I am looking forward to soups, beef stew, pumpkin chili, a big pan of lasagna, roast chicken and lots of baking. I love homemade bread with soups like pasta fagioli. Split pea is another good one. I also want to try making bread bowls with broccoli and cheese soup this year. Yum.

I've made pumpkin chili, and it's a great way to add vitamins and a nice color.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:04 PM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I found myself thinking yesterday, that in a few weeks I would be making chili. Iíd pull out the Instant Pot and make broth, and soup, and stew. And applesauce with fresh new crop apples.

I donít want any of that in this heat.

Are there any dishes you are looking forward to making when the weather turns cool?
Haven't thought much about cooler weather yet. We have really not had a particular hot summer. We did have 1 week that was in the mid 90s everyday but other than that, nights have been a bit warmer than usual but the rest has been pretty darn nice. Of course, I am sure we all like to do about the same in the winter or even fall. Yes, soups and stews. My so to, is split pea soup or bean soup. I don't really do stews as much as I did years ago but I do love to do chicken and noodles. Oh and I am more inclined to do casseroles or long cooking roasts.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM

69,335 posts, read 79,508,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
I'm looking forward to be able to use the oven again in general. I enjoy baking some pasta dishes and of course cookies.
You know that is interesting about using the oven again. We don't have ours on, in the summer more than a couple of times. Between the toaster oven, crock pot and air fryer we have no need for the oven. In fact even in the winter I use it rarely except for holiday baking.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:04 PM

501 posts, read 242,767 times
I'm ready for stews, soups, and other warm you up comfort food. I am also ready to bake breads and cookies galore. We had a great summer, but the time has come for Autumn goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or