U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 04:38 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,469,555 times

Advertisements

Yes, I do.

I'll rotate five or six recipes for a couple of years and move on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 04:56 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
i'll try to have a veggie kick......comes around maybe twice a year.... spinach leaves is usually the choice and I microwave with shredded cheese then add a protein..
I may have this a few times in a month …… thats good enough for me and veggies

Old 08-20-2018, 05:01 PM

1,763 posts, read 1,170,594 times
Yes. Right now it is brown rice, veggies, and chicken. With avocado on top!

Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 PM

17,572 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Lately I've had a few things rotating through my meals. Breakfast is just peanut butter on an English muffin, but I've been eating a lot of baked potatoes with toppings, skin and all. Also street tacos - A schmear of guac on a small corn tortilla, some crumbled cotija and maybe some crushed pineapple and a squeeze of lime on whatever meat I'm using. THis week it was a package of pulled pork that I cooked with chipotle peppers and cilantro.

Also, lately I'm loving the 25-cent ramen. I have sinus issues and it's easy to make if I want to send some steam through my nasal passages. I can add spice to it to really get things "moving" too. And, being on a budget, it's only 25 cents!

And I'll generally have a few baby spinach salads every week with dried cranberries, shredded beets and goat cheese.

It's just really easy stuff with minimal cooking for a kitchen that has no air conditioning. But it's also what I'm generally craving right now.
Food kicks? BIG TIME!

I have two going on right now at once. One is identical to one of yours - baby spinach salads with dried cranberries and goat cheese. I have that for lunch a lot.

The other, is Mexican Street Corn, which I just discovered this summer. That stuff is DELICIOUS and for me, very addictive.

These "kicks" are running concurrently.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:03 PM

5,171 posts, read 2,998,481 times
Yes, I do too. I have a hunch my body is needing something I'm craving. (No, I don't use that excuse for chocolate.)

DH could eat the same meal for days, but not out of preference, just out of duty. LOL. But I need a lot of variety.

Still I'll hit a phase where I want to eat the same thing several times a week for a while. For over a year now I want to fill up on fruit and nuts and then fill in with veggies, cheese and occasional carbs. So far it hasn't caused any damage.

My mom once told me that when I was a toddler I'd want the same thing to eat for a week or more - mashed hard boiled egg with butter, salt and pepper, Chef Boy-ar-Dee canned spaghetti.

Old 08-22-2018, 06:46 AM

183,885 posts, read 74,980,809 times
I definitely go on "Kicks" when something comes into season and will be gone for the rest of the year. Certain fruits and vegetables.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:17 AM

15,294 posts, read 7,149,937 times
Grilled steak and burgers. A friend of mine gave me a digital meat thermometer and that's when I realized I was overcooking then. Now, they're so much better.

Old 08-22-2018, 08:27 AM

10,121 posts, read 16,721,272 times
If you consider pregnancy cravings to be “kicks.”

Baby (and I) adore french fries. She’s also just decided that hummus, pretzels, and carrots should be eaten twice a day.

I’ve noticed that her cravings are all foods I like.. hmmm...

Old 08-22-2018, 09:39 AM

661 posts, read 140,534 times
We go on "kicks" when we participate in challenges on another site. Right now the challenge is pasta, including gnocchi and spaetzle. We've made a couple homemade spinach pastas, sauces for dried pasta, homemade lobster ravioli and andouille gnocchi with spicy Creole sauce.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:10 PM

751 posts, read 1,064,356 times
Yes, I usually go through food kicks one week a month or so.

Last week I had a huge kick for Mexican dishes. Well, American-Mexican dishes. I made tacos one night, with enough leftovers to make tacos and taco salad that week. I had made fajitas, with a little lime, spinach, with some cilantro and rice on the side.

This week I have a whole chicken kick and will probably get 1-2 whole chickens. After I figured out a few good ways to cook a whole chicken, I like getting one at least one to two times a month. It gives me different leftover ideas, like casseroles or chicken dips.

With my tomatoes starting to ripen in my garden, I'm going to use those to make jars of homemade tomato sauce. I'll probably make some cheese, tomato and toast, plus add them into a salad of sorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink