U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 06:55 AM

13,010 posts, read 12,440,016 times

Advertisements

Lately I've had a few things rotating through my meals. Breakfast is just peanut butter on an English muffin, but I've been eating a lot of baked potatoes with toppings, skin and all. Also street tacos - A schmear of guac on a small corn tortilla, some crumbled cotija and maybe some crushed pineapple and a squeeze of lime on whatever meat I'm using. THis week it was a package of pulled pork that I cooked with chipotle peppers and cilantro.

Also, lately I'm loving the 25-cent ramen. I have sinus issues and it's easy to make if I want to send some steam through my nasal passages. I can add spice to it to really get things "moving" too. And, being on a budget, it's only 25 cents!

And I'll generally have a few baby spinach salads every week with dried cranberries, shredded beets and goat cheese.

It's just really easy stuff with minimal cooking for a kitchen that has no air conditioning. But it's also what I'm generally craving right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 07:08 AM

1,724 posts, read 700,406 times
I notice I go through phases of eating things and then taper off.

Home made custard
Wrap sandwiches with fresh vegs inside.
Asian Salad kits
popcorn shrimp.

Then I usually start up again. Just bought some more shrimp because I had a coupon.

Last time I had a ramen meal I gained two pounds (water weight) over night. Those things are way too salty at my age.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:17 AM

8,834 posts, read 8,170,461 times
Story of my (culinary) life. This year, I've made lots of chili. I'm diabetic, and it has so many good things for me. My blood sugar goes low when I go chilirific. I make it twice a week, a pound of ground meat's (85% chuck, chicken thigh, 7% fat turkey) worth at a time, or else vegetarian (in which I replace the pound of meat with extra onions, beans, green peppers). I use ancho chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and chipotle powder as my chili powder mix, and chop up serranos and add them with the onions.

I have been going out for pizza most times when I go out to eat lately. I get to eat carbs so infrequently now, but when I g out with friends, lately what I want is "good" pizza.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:41 AM

34,548 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I get on a “must eat more fish less meat” kick,every so often. So I’ll make fish about 3x in a week, and then I go back to usual.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:01 AM

177 posts, read 32,827 times
We tend to have 2 or 3 meals of the same ethnicity some weeks simply because they use similar ingredients so there's little to no waste of things that have to be bought in bulk like cilantro, cabbage, cheeses, etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:26 PM

17,402 posts, read 3,537,755 times
Current kicks....tomato pies, cottage cheese, iced tea

Old 08-16-2018, 02:52 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,497,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
We tend to have 2 or 3 meals of the same ethnicity some weeks simply because they use similar ingredients so there's little to no waste of things that have to be bought in bulk like cilantro, cabbage, cheeses, etc.

That's what happens around here, too.

And I go on salad kicks. Lots of salads, then suddenly I'm sick of 'em.

Every summer, it's a watermelon kick. I go through one seedless every 3-4 days, all by myself. No, NOT those pretentious baby watermelons. REAL watermelons - Well, okay, seedless watermelons that are probably created with GMO. Who cares? They taste good and are cheap.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:36 PM

7,849 posts, read 10,147,526 times
I eat mostly routine foods, creature of habit. I guess in the summer, my kick would be whatever fruits are plentiful. For example, I eat more blackberries and raspberries, they're more affordable. In the winter, more soups. Seasonal kicks.

Old 08-18-2018, 10:32 PM

29,580 posts, read 31,907,081 times
I had steel cut oats for breakfast for months. Then I switched to English Muffins for awhile. Now I'm back to coffee and maybe a piece of buttered toast.

Old 08-18-2018, 11:08 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Definitely, especially when we're eating whatever's being harvested in our garden at a particular time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink