U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 02:49 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times

Advertisements

https://www.cookscountry.com/taste_t...96-egg-noodles

Yeah, yeah, I know - I should get a subscription. But I don't need it THAT often. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 12:56 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Yeah, yeah, I know - I should get a subscription. But I don't need it THAT often. . .

LOL No, you shouldn't get a subscription. Cook's Country/ATK, and their affiliated sites have been ticking off fans of the show for years with their aggressive tactics and scams.

I am a fan of the show, and what really burns my biscuits is how the hosts will prepare a dish, then tell viewers that they can access the recipe, free, online. What a crock of baloney! The many food sites online have had a field day with how members were lured in with a free "trial," paid for a subscription, only to find there are different "levels" of access. One person sniffed that s/he was interested in a particular cake, got that recipe, but was required to pay to see the FROSTING recipe. Apparently, the same thing happens with ATK's preferred brands, with users finding yet another "level" (with corresponding access fee) awaiting them.

My suggestion is to look for other sites where products are reviewed and which are, in fact, free. I've been VERY successful with that in the past. You'll find that their reviews are just as "exhaustive" as ATK's (that's ATK's excuse for charging a fee).

Old 08-17-2018, 01:23 PM

17,356 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

I have it...hold on a sec...

1. Pennsylvania Dutch Wide Egg Noodles
2. De Cecco Egg Pappardelle and Light and Fluffy Egg Noodles

Have the 10 yr cookbook...

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-17-2018 at 01:33 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 01:56 PM

30,402 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have it...hold on a sec...

1. Pennsylvania Dutch Wide Egg Noodles
2. De Cecco Egg Pappardelle and Light and Fluffy Egg Noodles

Have the 10 yr cookbook...

LOL...the winner always appears at the top of the article--as it does in the OP's link. Yet another reason to not get a subscription.

Their cookbook, OTOH, is a different story. I've seen that at a drastically-reduced price, and might just get it.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:12 PM

183,825 posts, read 74,960,655 times
There is enough free for the public purchased by advertisers I'll never subscribe to anyone's food program. There are only so many days in a year to cook.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:21 PM

14,297 posts, read 17,491,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
LOL No, you shouldn't get a subscription. Cook's Country/ATK, and their affiliated sites have been ticking off fans of the show for years with their aggressive tactics and scams.

I am a fan of the show, and what really burns my biscuits is how the hosts will prepare a dish, then tell viewers that they can access the recipe, free, online. What a crock of baloney! The many food sites online have had a field day with how members were lured in with a free "trial," paid for a subscription, only to find there are different "levels" of access. One person sniffed that s/he was interested in a particular cake, got that recipe, but was required to pay to see the FROSTING recipe. Apparently, the same thing happens with ATK's preferred brands, with users finding yet another "level" (with corresponding access fee) awaiting them.

My suggestion is to look for other sites where products are reviewed and which are, in fact, free. I've been VERY successful with that in the past. You'll find that their reviews are just as "exhaustive" as ATK's (that's ATK's excuse for charging a fee).

Thanks for backing me up! I do always look for other sites (that are partially reliable and not just shilling for somebody to click on their Amazon links so that they can make a buck). In the case of egg noodles, I could only find the CC review.

Wondering why I'm looking? Have to go to a dinner party tonight. Everybody brings something, the host makes the entree - tonight, it's Beef Bourguignon. I was late to hit the reply button to say what I wanted to bring and got left with whatever was missing. Enter the buttered noodles. I wanted to at least get a good brand.

I've already purchased 3 big bags of PA Dutch Brand. I'm also sneaking in an extra hor duerve: some blistered shis-hito (forum censor police alert!) peppers fresh from our garden. The neighbors love those suckers.

Edited to add: Thanks Blue Heron. Saw your post after I went shopping. I guess I done good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or