U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 AM

33,572 posts, read 51,786,623 times

Advertisements

I didn't say eat the whole jar....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 08:28 AM

16,222 posts, read 25,424,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Before you toss it out - just try and see if it taste spoiled.
Many things that are spoiled don't necessarily taste spoiled. (See earlier post by jay5835.) If everything that was spoiled tasted spoiled, there'd be virtually no incidents of food poisoning, since you'd presumably know right away at first bite.

I say toss it. Why risk it?

Old 08-17-2018, 10:03 AM

1,466 posts, read 919,560 times
When in doubt, throw it out.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:17 AM

28,207 posts, read 2,196,057 times
For me, it would depend when it was made, It is peach season, so if she just made it last week, it shouldn't have gone bad yet, even if the lid was not properly done. We keep food for weeks in the fridge, without damage, I feel it would be Ok, if she made it recently. Now if it is from last year, that is a different matter.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,262,707 times
If food is canned at a temperature that is high enough, suction develops as it cools, thus the indented button. If the button is up, don't eat it.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:40 AM

10,381 posts, read 2,813,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I'm not sure if I should eat the peach butter. It looks delicious, but the button is not indented, it's slightly popped. The woman who gave it to me reuses the same jars every year, could that be the reason?

I couldn't find any info online, so I appreciate any help.
The jars are reusable, if properly sterilized. There are some lids that are supposed to be reusable, but I don't know if I would trust them. Either way, if the button is popped, something is not right.

I would not eat it. I would not even taste it. It might not hurt you, but why take the chance?

Old 08-17-2018, 02:14 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Oh shucks. But many thanks for the responses, I wasn't sure if I needed to toss it.
You could open the lid and see if it has sealed so tight you have to pry it off. My guess it isn't worth the chance of getting sick but if the lid is sealed you are ok. I can every year. The fact it is peach instead of a veggie is a little better. And yes, to those who have said the lids should not be used again, that is 100% correct. Also, always check to see if there is any rust on the inside of the screw top. If so toss them. This is the expensive part of canning anymore. We end up tossing the lids and screw part and have to buy more every year. Some screw tops last forever, others not from one year to the other.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:16 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
The very sickest I ever got was about 24 hours after consuming a healthy (ha-ha) quantity of a friend's delicious, home-canned piccalilli. It was so good, I simply could not stop eating it, and since my friend had several jars of it, he encouraged me to gorge myself. But the next day...fever, chills, explosive at both ends. Never sicker.

I don't eat home-canned anything anymore.
To each his own, but if canned properly there is nothing better than home canned fruits and veggies.

VTsnowbird and others: home canned meats and some veggies are very different than home canned jams, jellied, salsas and fruits. It isn't nearly as likely to make you sick. If nothing else they contain more acid which does help keep foods from spoiling. Elnina is right: a little taste can tell you a lot with certain canned foods.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:50 PM

2,250 posts, read 1,745,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I didn't say eat the whole jar....
YOU NEVER under any circumstances Taste home canned food if you have any reason to believe it might not be good. BOTCHUSLISM is nothing to fool with.

This tasting thing is why so many people DIE from it each year. Also if any signs of spoilage are present you are not even supposed to dispose of in the trash. You need to use rubber gloves and You need to completely destroy it.

Even if you don't have reason to suspect the food, you should always boil it for ten minutes before you taste it at all.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:47 PM

7,649 posts, read 5,407,484 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if I should eat the peach butter. It looks delicious, but the button is not indented, it's slightly popped. The woman who gave it to me reuses the same jars every year, could that be the reason?

I couldn't find any info online, so I appreciate any help.
And the button says............ drumroll please........ DO NOT EAT!

But, tell giver it was delicious

Kinda like the made in the holler moonshine I was given
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or