U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:07 AM

31 posts, read 38,753 times

Advertisements

I love hot tea (iced tea also, but it is not relevant in this case), but my frustration is that if I order tea in a restaurant, it is hit or miss, not the quality of the tea itself, since they usually bring you choice of tea bags, but local water. I have a well water in my house, quite decent quality and taste on its own, but tea tastes different depending on weather, I mean if it is raining a lot, it is somehow bitter. I did some research and it is probably acidity.
Right now I am trying different kinds of bottled water, starting with Evian, which in one online tasting was supposed to be the best, but I do not think it's "my cup of tea".
Anyhow, all tea drinkers, what is your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 11:14 AM

17,354 posts, read 3,528,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senga View Post
I love hot tea (iced tea also, but it is not relevant in this case), but my frustration is that if I order tea in a restaurant, it is hit or miss, not the quality of the tea itself, since they usually bring you choice of tea bags, but local water. I have a well water in my house, quite decent quality and taste on its own, but tea tastes different depending on weather, I mean if it is raining a lot, it is somehow bitter. I did some research and it is probably acidity.
Right now I am trying different kinds of bottled water, starting with Evian, which in one online tasting was supposed to be the best, but I do not think it's "my cup of tea".
Anyhow, all tea drinkers, what is your experience?

I have well water too....

for drinking water and tea, I use a Brita pitcher with filters...
also, while I don't usually use sugar, with this water it seems to help quite a bit as far as taste...

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-20-2018 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-20-2018, 12:26 PM

4,117 posts, read 1,535,580 times
If you order tea at a restaurant you just have to be OK with their water source unless you insist on having them heat water YOU bring (I wouldn't want to be seen as such a demanding customer myself). Their water is going to vary by season too. Water is water....it flows, changes constantly. Bottled water will vary too. All water sources will vary. Ironically, people often buy bottled "spring" water to avoid tastes from minerals (iron, sulfur, copper, etc) and yet the majority of people find they prefer the taste of "hard" water! It's hard because it is high in minerals like calcium! Soft water tends to taste flat as does distilled water (distilled water is condensed from steam and has literally nothing in it but H2O).

For your home well water a reverse-osmosis filter system installed at your kitchen sink would probably provide the most stabilized water in terms of content and taste. It will remove just about all of the mineral, organic, and chemical content of the well water. It's not distilled, it's just very finely filtered. These are not pitcher or faucet head filters. The system (made up of several filter cartridges depending on what's in your well water) is plumbed into the lines under the sink and stores the filtered water in a pressurized tank that releases water to a side faucet. You'll have to pay to install it and change the various cartridges over time (how often depends on what types you install....the RO membrane, the main one, usually lasts a couple of years), but systems like this tend to pay for themselves over time compared to pitchers and disposable faucet types. You'll get many more gallons of filtered water out of a system compared to a pitcher or faucet head type.

OK, I'm biased as I've installed RO systems in all my homes because of their wells. Usually lots of iron, iron oxides, sulfur, tannin, etc. I also keep aviary birds that tend to be sensitive to ground water minerals, particularly iron. I reserve the RO filtered water for direct drinking and for various pets, but use the regular water from the main faucet for everything else. Also helps the filter cartridges last longer.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-20-2018 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-20-2018, 04:42 PM

31 posts, read 38,753 times
I use Brita. As for RO I was tempted to instal it, but after reading test results from various source, everyone says that tea tastes flat. I hate tea with Evian by the way.
Next I will try Poland Sring.
My main reason for asking is Florida water as we go there a few times a year, and water in undrinkable in the whole state. Even water sold in large jugs for water coolers tastes chalky.

Old 08-20-2018, 04:52 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
I have well water too.....you can get a water test kit from lowe's or home depot
I bought one and it tested for 5-6 different things and it tested very well

I like tea also I usually have a pitcher of water in the fridge with tea bags in it.....

when my coffee tastes bitter sometimes I add a pinch of salt ….

Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM

51,195 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senga View Post
I use Brita. As for RO I was tempted to instal it, but after reading test results from various source, everyone says that tea tastes flat. I hate tea with Evian by the way.
Next I will try Poland Sring.
My main reason for asking is Florida water as we go there a few times a year, and water in undrinkable in the whole state. Even water sold in large jugs for water coolers tastes chalky.
Good lord, brought back an awful memory of going to dinner in SW Florida and asking for water, and it just smelled like sewage. It was a nice restaurant, too, but the water literally stunk.

In general, I don't order tea in restaurants because for some reason they don't make tea with boiling water. You get a cup of lukewarm water with the tea bag sitting on the saucer. What the heck is that all about? The water needs to be brought to a boil and then poured over the tea bag. If you are really paying attention, the cup or pot needs to be scalded before the water is poured over the tea bag.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:52 AM

2,292 posts, read 1,520,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have well water too....

for drinking water and tea, I use a Brita pitcher with filters...
also, while I don't usually use sugar, with this water it seems to help quite a bit as far as taste...
Us too. For coffee as well. When dining out you just never know how the water will be.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:09 AM

1,717 posts, read 699,146 times
That is also my problem with tea away from home, they don't use boiling water.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:12 AM

1,953 posts, read 752,771 times
My experience is that no matter where I have ever lived, tap water was just fine. Well water too, except for not being fluoridated.

I've never lived anywhere with high sulfur or iron in the water. I imagine that could make a difference. If your water tastes funny after it rains, my guess would be that something is getting stirred up from the bottom of the reservoir. Try a filtering system.

I'm not buying "bottled" water. 95% of it is just somebody else's tap water anyway.

I only get tea in Asian restaurants (Indian, Chinese, Thai, Indonesian, etc). Americans don't do good tea. Tea in an American restaurant is along the lines of American Lipton, which tastes like sewage even before we start niggling about water quality and temperature. Indian Lipton is an entirely different animal. American tea stinks.

Old 08-21-2018, 10:31 AM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Stop ordering hot tea in restaurants.

Those metal containers they bring the water out in are disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or