U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:54 AM

663 posts, read 141,199 times

Advertisements

I rarely eat seafood at a restaurant and can't remember the last time I did. When I do eat fish out or when I buy fish, I have to see the whole fish, yes there are restaurants that allow you to choose whole fish from the case. I, with few exceptions, will not purchase fillets. The exceptions are, I shot it myself or my wife did, I know the person that shot or caught it or I trust the fish monger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 04:38 AM

663 posts, read 141,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Canned-fish all the time.

Fresh or frozen that is quality, hum, out of my price-range now.

Sorry, not eating low-quality fish like farm-raised Tilapia from China.
We would never buy any seafood from Asia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I have canned tuna sandwiches, a couple of times a week. I also like salmon, buy it when it`s on sale. Hubby likes cod, so I buy that when it`s on sale to.
My favorite though is shellfish.....lobster, steamers,oysters. We don`t have these very often though.
I assume you mean fresh cod fillets. Do you ever buy bacalao?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
Hubby and I eat a lot of seafood - mainly wild salmon (almost at least 4x week) and other different types as well. When we eat at high end restaurants or steak places, I always order seafood -- my favorite dish is pan seared Chilean Sea Bass with a side of veggies. People think I'm crazy for not ordering a good steak (and I do eat meat) but I just love seafood.
What, no Dungeness crab or yellow tail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmonkey View Post
At least two meals a week. More in the summer through late fall when I do most of my fishing and crabbing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
being summer and lobster is 4.99lb
I try to have a couple per week

and also steamer clams for 2.99lb

I have frozen haddock I buy for 4.99lb thaw and bread and put in air fryer and is very good

have tuna fish a few times per month
The lowest price we have found locally was $6.99 each for live. Now they are offering already steamed for $5.99 each. Guess they over ordered last time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pekemom View Post
Canned yellowfin tuna in olive oil
Tilapia
Crawfish tails

We eat the above a lot each month, each about twice a week.
Yellowfin in olive oil is the only tuna I buy, but it has to be from Spain or Italy. It is the only canned tuna my wife will eat if we can't get fresh tuna for Nicoise salad.

When out of season, where do you get the crawfish tails? We were shopping at our local Restaurant Depot and my wife spotted some tails in the freezer case that had "Breaux Bridge" in large letters on the package. Breaux Bridge, LA is well known for it's crawfish. We were going to buy several packages until my wife turned the package over and found "Product of China" in the fine print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I had walleye for the first time earlier this month, on my 60th birthday. Never tasted it before. It was delicious. It was a Canadian "shore dinner" of fried walleye, beans, and buttered toast.
Do you eat other seafood being close to the "Shore"?

Lodestar forgot to multi quote your post. When you purchase the scallops do you buy "Dry" packed?

Old 08-24-2018, 05:12 AM

69,303 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Canned-fish all the time.

Fresh or frozen that is quality, hum, out of my price-range now.

Sorry, not eating low-quality fish like farm-raised Tilapia from China.
Well we love fish, so we try to eat it twice a week and yes, it is pricey so we, unlike you do eat farm raised fish. We also love tuna and even canned salmon. Most often we eat Tuna, love our Salmon, don't care if it is wild or not and love trout,. and like many others here, we always have shrimp in the freezer as well as Cod.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-24-2018 at 05:22 AM..

Old 08-24-2018, 05:51 AM

11,331 posts, read 5,852,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
I assume you mean fresh cod fillets. Do you ever buy bacalao?

I live next to a heavily Portuguese/Azores Islands place near New Bedford, MA so I have access. Soaking salt cod in water and picking all the bones out is a major time investment. I like cod cakes (fried salt cod/mashed potato) but I usually buy those at a Portuguese deli. The catch is way down from what it used to be but I can still get fresh cod. Canada shut down their Atlantic cod fishery. The United States needs to do the same.

My standard cod/haddock recipe is a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, tarragon, panko. Bake and then broil to brown the panko. Scrod haddock fillets are 10 minutes. Cod more like 15 because it's thicker.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:56 AM

9,115 posts, read 3,932,227 times
Quote:
We eat 8 to 10 meals with some kind of seafood per month and sometimes more depending on what is in season. We also are adventurous in our choices. I'm sure those of us that live in coastal areas are exposed to really fresh seafood and probably have more of it in our diet. I willingly admit that I'm a snob and very particular about buying it.
For me maybe 4-6 times a month. I won't eat anything out of Gulf waters what with the red tide and the toxic algae bloom going on. If I still lived on Long Island I would eat fish a lot more often since I prefer fresh, rather than frozen. Then there's the expense; my favorite fish is Chilean Sea Bass but that is over $17 a pound last time I bought some.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:20 AM

35,818 posts, read 39,375,570 times
Minimal.

I'm far from a coast, couldn't really get any further, don't like freshwater fish, and frozen seafood isn't that enticing,

Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 AM

51,248 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:

Do you eat other seafood being close to the "Shore"?
Ha, tricky question. What was called a "shore dinner" to me (walleye, beans, and toast) was somewhat amusing because I had that in my alternate universe, which is Ontario lake country. However, I actually DO live near the "Shore", the Jersey one, which, while it has nothing to do with that idiotic TV show, has lots of actual seafood.

Nothing like fresh flounder or bluefish or mackerel.

Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 AM

1,953 posts, read 755,584 times
I don't like fish. I love scallops but they're too expensive. And they're all frozen which makes them weird when you try to cook them anyway. Crab legs, also too expensive, and too messy and too much fuss. I got some on sale awhile back and it was extremely frustrating. Won't try that again. I have never seen real crab meat already de-shelled, only fake. Probably, again, too expensive if I could find it. The only part of the lobster I ever cared for were the claws. Also too expensive.

How much seafood do I eat? ZERO.

Old 08-24-2018, 09:11 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,501,076 times
Don't keep track but probably at least once a week, more so in summer. Not surprisingly fresh, wild king salmon is my favorite, but it's becoming less available and more costly even here in Alaska.

We stock up with some frozen local salmon, some smoked, for the occasional dark season dinner treat. Also buy some of the frozen salmon burgers at Costco.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:37 AM

15,172 posts, read 15,218,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well we love fish, so we try to eat it twice a week and yes, it is pricey so we, unlike you do eat farm raised fish. We also love tuna and even canned salmon. Most often we eat Tuna, love our Salmon, don't care if it is wild or not and love trout,. and like many others here, we always have shrimp in the freezer as well as Cod.
I will eat farm-raised fish, just not Talapia. I like fish, but I mainly eat it for the Omega-3.......Tilapia has next to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or