U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 03:17 PM

756 posts, read 364,840 times

Advertisements

I go by what my Hubby sees.In his job, he is in a lot of kitchens. Some places he would never eat, others he finds are very clean. If you see a dirty kitchen...it would be very hard to enjoy a meal there
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 05:05 PM

2,371 posts, read 1,642,140 times
In NC, inspection reports are readily available on most county websites. Not only do you see the letter grade and the score but you can review a detailed report concerning what counted against the restaurant. Usually, it's food at temperatures warmer or cooler than what is considered safe, food stored in a way that cross contamination is possible, etc. that are common violations.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:32 PM

15,148 posts, read 15,204,207 times
One of the main reasons I very rarely eat-out.....most times you really have no idea how clean the place you are eating at is. Maybe on the surface, but back in the deep, dark areas, that is where the nastiness is.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:52 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
One of the main reasons I very rarely eat-out.....most times you really have no idea how clean the place you are eating at is. Maybe on the surface, but back in the deep, dark areas, that is where the nastiness is.
Heck back in the deep, dark, areas of your kitchen you don't realize how nasty it might be? Tests have been done on things like dish washers, garbage disposals and other parts of the kitchen that most of us do not even realize.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 808,888 times
In Los Angeles county, the restaurants were required to post their status in the door when I lived there in the late '90s and early '00s. An "A" was the highest passing grade, a "B" meant still passed but had issues that dropped its score for all to see.

One of the local papers - not the Times - ran a weekly list of inspection violations and scores. Reading that, there were few times we chanced a "B" restaurant.

I miss that grading system. Wish we had it in the Twin Cities.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,402,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
No state (or borough or city) health inspections where I live. Restaurants self-inspect.
I found this hard to believe, so I looked it up. Yes, there are restaurant health inspections in Alaska, including Wasilla, which is where your profile says you live. Maybe you moved and are talking about a different location.

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss.aspx

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/staff

Old 08-25-2018, 11:48 PM

5,868 posts, read 3,144,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I found this hard to believe, so I looked it up. Yes, there are restaurant health inspections in Alaska, including Wasilla, which is where your profile says you live. Maybe you moved and are talking about a different location.

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss.aspx

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/fss/staff

Those are guidelines. There is no health inspector that actually visits a restaurant. What I said was that restaurants self inspect. That means an employee that has taken a food safety course is responsible for ensuring guidelines are followed. That includes Wasilla. The Municipality of Anchorage is the only place that has actual inspectors that visit restaurants, inspect them and determine a numerical score.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:44 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
even the obvious.....ive had extensive training in sanitation and do inspect stores myself..

im far from a germ a phobe but when I see the servers wiping down tables with wet rags......it just reminds me of a mop head getting pushed on a floor..

wet rags are a bacteria haven . id much rather see them clean with some sort of disposable wipe... ive just seen too often that same rag be used on multiple tables...

I just keep reminding myself to keep the silverware on the napkins and the food is on the plate not the table... this is one reason table cloths are used . they get replaced..

Old 08-26-2018, 05:33 AM

756 posts, read 364,840 times
Those menu`s can get nasty to.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:50 AM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times
There are no large inspection grade placards where I live, though I believe the newspaper prints recent evaluations. But, I don't worry about it too much.

However, the condition of the kitchen and attention to detail is pretty accurately mirrored by the condition of the bathrooms and dining room. I am very wary if the place is dirty. The dining room fixtures can be old, plain, mismatched, worn, etc. and that is fine, as long as it looks like it is regualrly cleaned and/or attended to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or