U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 06:55 PM

2,684 posts, read 960,581 times

Advertisements

I use Lee Kum Kee, which I get in the Asian store in a 2 liter jug. I also use, for Thai recipes, fish sauce, which is lighter in color but full of flavor with the salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:02 PM

4,150 posts, read 2,157,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't use soy sauce. In my kitchen Maggi rules and I use it now for decades. It goes with just about anything.
I haven't bought Maggi in ages, but I have one of these (purchased at a WMF store in West Germany), do you?

Old 08-24-2018, 10:42 PM

1,461 posts, read 330,127 times
Low sodium soy sauce is like is like diet caffeine free Coke. What's the point?

Old 08-24-2018, 10:55 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
True, there is a definite difference in the taste of Chinese and Japanese soy sauce.

And Thai soy sauce, Filipino soy sauce ...

And then there is light soy sauce, dark soy sauce ...

And you wonder why my pantry is so full.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 PM

7,086 posts, read 2,207,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I buy the Trader Joe's Reduced Sodium soy sauce - it was recommended by a friend and I really like it - more flavor than just "salty"
A better idea than using the regular, high-sodium type. But I never eat anything that has added sodium or soybeans in it. That "hydrolized vegetable protein" concoction mentioned earlier, is just a way to feed you MSG, without actually acknowledging it on the label.

I often use balsamic vinegar in cooked food. There's no sodium and just a few calories in it. They make it out of grape must, which is what's left over after they're squeezed. It takes just a few squirts to give rich flavor and a bottle lasts for a couple of months. My favorite brand is Napolean from Modena, Italy. It comes in a half-liter bottle, for $2.98. The kinds that cost $8. or $9. per bottle, don't taste as good to me. I also usually add a teaspoon of Italian seasoning.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:34 AM

1,953 posts, read 752,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't use soy sauce. In my kitchen Maggi rules and I use it now for decades. It goes with just about anything:
Flavor Ammo: Why Maggi Goes Great With Just About Everything

"Maggi is a dark, hydrolysed vegetable protein-based seasoning sauce, which is very similar to East Asian soy sauce without actually containing soy. It is used most often in soups and sauces."

You might want to try it. It comes in small bottles as described here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041...1SPBRCY5ECSMS3

This is also acceptable product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FN...ID=81JM-5hBrSL

If you like it hot:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052...CH0KMN0NHCKF6A

You can get it much cheaper in your regular store if you have German or Imported section there. If not try World Market or any place that also sells continental food. Here I get it for ~$4. It's concentrated and last for a while.

Pay attention to the label. It has to be original Maggi, not that awful substitute Made in China called Jugo.
So, do NOT buy this: (well, you might like it, but I think it's awful)
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBG...-000138322.jpg

OMG I HATE MAGGI! I bought some a few years ago and it was AWFUL. I'll take soy sauce any day.

I've never done a side by side taste test of soy sauces. I get a big bottle of it from an Asian Market, whatever is cheapest, and use it til it's all gone. As far as I can tell it all tastes the same. Not sure what I have right now.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:36 AM

10,372 posts, read 2,809,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I use Pearl River Bridge and purchase it at an Asian market.

It appears that Amazon carries it too. https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-River-B...0002CPC22?th=1

Walmart carries it too for a lot less than Amazon https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pearl-Riv...&wl13=&veh=sem
I second this, although I am not really sure what to say to anyone who considers La Choy an acceptable product. I won't touch it. Pearl River Bridge also makes a dark mushroom soy sauce. It's good, but it is not a substitute for regular soy sauce.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:30 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, I am not too excited about any soy sauce that has an "Economy Size"..........[
The Chinese restaurants are not buying their soy sauce in one ounce bottles. All brands of soy sauce are going to be available in economy size. The restaurant supply store sells soy sauce in gallon bottles and the local Chinese restaurants buy those by the case ( four bottles ).

Old 08-25-2018, 05:01 AM

654 posts, read 138,994 times
We have a couple of very large Asian (mostly Chinese) markets that have 30' L x 8' H shelves devoted to soy sauce, ponzu and tamari. I primarily use tamari as my wife gets headaches from regular soy.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,427,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Low sodium soy sauce is like is like diet caffeine free Coke. What's the point?
agree, have never had a low sodium soy sauce that had any real flavor. there are somethings that just can't be low sodium, like something that can't be totally fat free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or