U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:02 PM

1,323 posts, read 463,036 times

Advertisements

I went shopping for Pearl River and Maggi yesterday and couldn't find either!

I didn't go to any of the Kroger, Walmart or Publix SUPER marts though because they are so far from the house.

As usual, the smaller markets are over-run with Kikkoman and unknown (to me) other brands of Chinese and Japanese sauces!

Gonna have to hit the BIG markets I guess!

Is this crazy: With all this talk about soy sauces, I get this 'urge' to run to the fridge and get me a teaspoon of the stuff .. all by itself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 06:10 PM

11,152 posts, read 11,564,418 times
Rural people get used to shopping on the internet. You can find anything on the internet.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:56 PM

7,288 posts, read 2,282,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One of the consequences of switching to light salt (50% potassium chloride) decades ago is that my tolerance for salt in food has really dropped. To my taste, regular soy sauce makes food so salty it is inedible. It's interesting that the Japanese natives I know often complain about American food being too salty. There are advantages to low sodium. At 71, I do not have high blood pressure, do not retain fluid, and my doctor never mentions limiting my salt intake.
People who eat what might be called a typical American diet, with 4 to 10 mg. of sodium per day, would lose about 2 to 4 lbs. of water that is retained in their bodies, if they reduced their sodium to no more than 1.5 mg. Eating a lot of simple sugar and taking ibuprofen regularly, will also cause water to be retained. The reason is because those things are toxic above a certain level and the body's defense is to dilute it with more water.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:06 PM

1,323 posts, read 463,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Rural people get used to shopping on the internet. You can find anything on the internet.
I do unless I can only purchase stuff by the case!
And the shipping charges are usually more than what you purchase!

I do a lot of my shopping on eBay where the shipping charges are usually free.

My better half loves Curve Crush perfume which use to cost $54.00 in the store but on ebay I pay $16.00 with free shipping.

I buy from this one company with over 100,000 positive feedback ratings and have never been ripped off!
The perfume is in the original, unopened package and is the real deal.

Same goes for my printer inks.
I get original unopened 12 packs for $6.00 which use to cost me over $100.00 in the store.
(Again, from a company that has over 100,000 positive feedbacks and free shipping.)

The most important thing is .. I will not purchase from anyone that doesn't allow third party payment ... like Paypal.

To put my CC in some unknown sellers hand is not a gamble that I will take.

Been using PayPal for over ten years and have never been disappointed!

WOW!
Sorry folks!

I've strayed from the topic quite far!

Old 08-25-2018, 07:08 PM

13,080 posts, read 21,247,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And Thai soy sauce, Filipino soy sauce ...

And then there is light soy sauce, dark soy sauce ...

And you wonder why my pantry is so full.
Don't forget mushroom soy sauce - a jug like this costs around $5.00 at the Asian market.

https://goo.gl/images/UpjDHU

Old 08-25-2018, 07:41 PM

28,005 posts, read 17,875,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Don't forget mushroom soy sauce - a jug like this costs around $5.00 at the Asian market.

I've never heard of that!!! WANT.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 08-25-2018, 07:58 PM

13,752 posts, read 22,954,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post

I have heard of it but >>> never tries it. Right now, I have so much in my pantry that I am staying out of supermarkets until 2019.

Old 08-25-2018, 10:45 PM

1,261 posts, read 1,338,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't use soy sauce. In my kitchen Maggi rules and I use it now for decades. It goes with just about anything:
Flavor Ammo: Why Maggi Goes Great With Just About Everything

"Maggi is a dark, hydrolysed vegetable protein-based seasoning sauce, which is very similar to East Asian soy sauce without actually containing soy. It is used most often in soups and sauces."

You might want to try it. It comes in small bottles as described here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0041...1SPBRCY5ECSMS3

This is also acceptable product:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FN...ID=81JM-5hBrSL

If you like it hot:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0052...CH0KMN0NHCKF6A

You can get it much cheaper in your regular store if you have German or Imported section there. If not try World Market or any place that also sells continental food. Here I get it for ~$4. It's concentrated and last for a while.

Pay attention to the label. It has to be original Maggi, not that awful substitute Made in China called Jugo.
So, do NOT buy this: (well, you might like it, but I think it's awful)
https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBG...-000138322.jpg

Wow, I grew up with Maggi. At least I think so. There was always a bottle of it in the pantry, though I never saw how my mum used it. I wasn't allowed in the kitchen while she was cooking.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:07 PM

9,223 posts, read 10,211,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't use soy sauce. In my kitchen Maggi rules and I use it now for decades. It goes with just about anything:
Flavor Ammo: Why Maggi Goes Great With Just About Everything
Since it's wheat based, it should taste more like Japanese than Chinese soy sauce.

Old 08-25-2018, 11:24 PM

13,080 posts, read 21,247,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've never heard of that!!! WANT.
I learned about it when my favorite Chinese restaurant burned down. I was hankering for their chow fun so I looked up how to make it. I even got an outdoor propane wok to make it. Some dishes are so good, it's worth going the extra mile to make it the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or