U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 02:59 PM

1,647 posts, read 378,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
One of the consequences of switching to light salt (50% potassium chloride) decades ago is that my tolerance for salt in food has really dropped. To my taste, regular soy sauce makes food so salty it is inedible. It's interesting that the Japanese natives I know often complain about American food being too salty. There are advantages to low sodium. At 71, I do not have high blood pressure, do not retain fluid, and my doctor never mentions limiting my salt intake.
Very interesting about the Japanese natives. I read in a health book that it's not uncommon for the Japanese to consume 15,000 mg of sodium PER DAY. They've been eating this diet for so long that it does not result in high blood pressure or other related issues.

I believe the flavor the sodium is paired with has a lot to do with an individual's tolerance of salty flavor. Much the same way as you'd never use 39g of sugar to sweeten your tea, but many people drink a 12 oz can of Coke with no problem. It's the phosphoric acid that prevents the drink from tasting "sickeningly sweet". Though some who've switched to Diet Coke can no longer drink regular for that exact reason...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:14 PM

1,325 posts, read 464,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Very interesting about the Japanese natives. I read in a health book that it's not uncommon for the Japanese to consume 15,000 mg of sodium PER DAY. They've been eating this diet for so long that it does not result in high blood pressure or other related issues.
Heck, Not sure how you figure out mgs per day on salt but I use a 'ton' of the stuff every day.

So much so that I have to refill my large shaker every day.

Never been afraid of salt and love it.

Then again ... I smoked Marlboro reds for over 50 years and am still around.
No, I don't carry an inogen around with me either!
(fingers crossed)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or