Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 01:45 PM

35 posts, read 23,842 times

Advertisements

"Pastures of Eden" brand feta from Trader Joe's is simply wonderful. I never cared for feta before trying this. Super creamy and delicious. It is made in Israel of sheep's milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,820,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
FYI

Saw recently that some products labeled feta cheese are not true feta, which is made from sheep's milk only in Greece.

GDO must be on the label for the product to be real feta...others are called "salad cheese".

Group designation of origin is what GDO stands for...

Just checked the feta I have from Athens brand...
GDO NOT LISTED, so this is a fakeO feta and it tastes fake too...not at all strong or briny or distinct.

In the US, only 2% of the feta eaten is true feta according to Atalanta Corp. online site, a cheese importer.
I like Bulgarian feta the best. Greek is good too. Athens and similar brands are crap and don’t taste anything like real feta.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 PM

297 posts, read 165,609 times
Yup.... Bulgarian all the way. Much creamier. Being from the Balkans I grew up eating all sorts of feta and the Greek one is among the varieties I didn't care much for. But it's fine for crumbling and mixing with beaten eggs and fying up. The heat softens it a great deal.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:43 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,097,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thank you

You're Welcome

Old 08-28-2018, 08:44 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,097,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbound View Post
"Pastures of Eden" brand feta from Trader Joe's is simply wonderful. I never cared for feta before trying this. Super creamy and delicious. It is made in Israel of sheep's milk.

Unfortunately, nearest Trader Joe's that I know of is about 90 miles away.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:19 AM

15,202 posts, read 10,216,086 times
Man, reading some of these threads makes me realize how much of a foodie I'm NOT. Apparently you can make your own butter and feta cheese doesn't always come from Greece. Who knew? :-)

Old 08-28-2018, 05:00 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,841,824 times
I'm probably in the minority: domestic feta is my favorite variety. Its texture and flavor isn't the most delicate, but what I use feta for, it's perfect. It goes wonderfully in scrambled eggs; in a tomato, cucumber, and onion salad; or for a salty kick in a grilled cheese sandwich. Don't get me wrong: I like imported feta varieties too, especially to put on a cracker, although I find French feta too soft and too sour. But I rarely buy them, since domestic suits me just fine on most occasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink