U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 07:39 PM

19,242 posts, read 12,718,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Smoked salt is my most recent discovery. Walmart sells it in a grinder, in applewood, mesquite or hickory flavors. I can't use liquid smoke flavoring anymore, or grill food outdoors (my asthma has gotten too bad to be around any kind of smoke), and smoked salt seems to be a great way to get that smoke flavor into food.
I use smoked salt when I make ribs in the Instant Pot. Iíve never seen it in different flavors, though. Iíll keep my eyes peeled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 01:54 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,344,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What new thing have you discovered at the grocer! Or what new to you thing have you tried? Share so we all can know about it.

A not new thing which Iíve recently bought for the first time are Smithfield ham slices, packed 4 to a pack. These are whole ham slices and they tast like meatónot fat and salt. You can find them in the meat case. They make a nice ham sandwich. And honestly I donít like most ham. But these are pretty good.

OKóyour turn.

I use these too. I fry them up, dice them and keep in the freezer to use in ham and cheese scones.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:31 PM

5,337 posts, read 7,725,365 times
Gringo Bandito hot sauce. I have tried lots of different hot sauce brands and this has really good flavor.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Tater tots with cheese sauce. Pasties.
We're spending the summer in the Midwest, and trying local foods.
The tots would be a guilty pleasure, the pasties were disappointing.

Still to try: cheese curds and walleye.
I work in Wisconsin one week a month. Cheese curds are amazing, and there are many varieties of cheese and breading combinations. Everyone has a favorite restaurant or bar recommendation for cheese curds and I think I have tried them all over the past few years.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:59 PM

13,659 posts, read 16,246,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I noticed these in the freezer isle...what did I have to loose.
What bodies of water surround those isles?

If something of yours is "loose", then you obviously have to tighten... something.
If you don't do some sort of tightening, you could lose something!

Old 08-28-2018, 05:16 PM

2,703 posts, read 5,185,042 times
Bluebell Cookie 2-Step ice cream.

Yum, yum, yummy-yum-yum.

Old 08-28-2018, 05:51 PM

430 posts, read 240,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We discovered we really like chicken thighs after years of only eating chicken breasts or baking a whole chicken and making soup from rest after cutting off white meat. We watch for thigh sales to buy big and freeze.

Hubby makes a spicy Korean chicken thigh recipe that never overbakes (unlike breasts).
We love spices and grow several different basils (Thai, regular Genovese, lemon) and hot peppers (birds eye).
Like you, I much prefer the chicken legs to the white meat breasts. In the US, white meat is advertised as the best. My wife is from Asia and the dark meat is much preferred there; they (correctly) think the white meat is dry and bland. Now I only buy thighs/legs for all my dishes. A nice bonus is that thighs are much cheaper due to the hyping of the breast meat.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:33 PM

Dry cottage cheese, in a pressed block. Not farmer’s cheese, which is good but dry cottage cheese is excellent. It is difficult to find here but plentiful in Europe, where I first tried it.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Status: "if UNTHAW is a word ..i want to UN-AGE ," (set 9 days ago)

17,306 posts, read 22,361,524 times
hatfield has some new flavored st louis ribs for only 2.99lb very good!!!

bbq/steakhouse and texas chipotle

Old 08-31-2018, 02:12 PM

19,242 posts, read 12,718,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
hatfield has some new flavored st louis ribs for only 2.99lb very good!!!

bbq/steakhouse and texas chipotle
You know, I lived in St. Louis all my life until 6 years ago, and had never heard the term ďSt. Louis style ribsĒ until I moved to the PNW. St. Louisans tend to barbeque pork steaks, although there are some barbeque places around that do ribs.

I had to Google to find out that St. Louis style ribs are cut a certain way by the packer.

I have made these in my Instant Pot, finished on the grill, and I must say they are quite good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or