U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 04:32 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I love the jumbo eggs I get at Winco. This morning I'm cracking open 4 eggs out of a new dozen and had 2 with double yolks. Awesome.

I never had double yolks when I bought large eggs. In fact, I never even saw double yolks until I started using the jumbos.

Does anyone here get double yolks or do you have chickens that lay double yolks?
We generally get large eggs, rarely jumbo and have had a lot more double yolks than we used to get. I don't know why. It used to be a novelty to get a double yoke, now it isn't so usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 07:26 AM

1,772 posts, read 2,404,960 times
I've never seen a triple yolk egg, as one poster mentioned. I'd love that! My mother used to know of a place in Pittsburgh, PA, where you could buy special cartons of eggs that were all double yolked. I wish I would have asked her where she got them, although it would be a pretty long trip for me to go there and buy them.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:32 AM

18,860 posts, read 12,481,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I have chickens and we only get them occasionally.
Well, you have the best eggs!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:02 AM

18,996 posts, read 10,047,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
I'd be over the moon cuz I only eat the yolks... generally have 3 each morning. Only once I bought eggs at Whole Foods & 9 were double yolks & 3 were triples! Amazing... the entire carton. Never had doubles or triples again (not even 1) & that was 30-yrs ago. Good to know it happens with jumbos, cuz I'll only buy them from now on. I've noticed that many markets here don't have jumbos... only small or large, at least when I shop.

Interesting that so many of you have chickens. I've never had a fresh egg... gosh, I'd love that.
Ok, I'll bite - why do you only eat the yolks? I know lots of people eat only the whites because they are trying to avoid the extra fat and cholesterol, but I've never heard of only eating the yolks.

As for the OP's question, I get double yolks sometimes in extra large eggs, I don't think I've ever seen one in large eggs. It's usually a random isolated thing, but I did get a carton once that had 5 or 6. I had hardboiled them to make deviled eggs, and it was so weird to see hard boiled double yolked eggs!

I don't generally buy jumbo eggs, but maybe I'll try and see if I get any doubles - I think they are supposed to be good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Double yolks-double-yolks.jpeg  

Old 08-27-2018, 12:37 PM

4,680 posts, read 2,302,044 times
I used to just eat the yolks when I was younger. I didn't like the whites of eggs. Nowdays, all I eat are scrambled eggs.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:45 PM

21,001 posts, read 25,765,271 times
Double yolks are usually from very young hens. As they mature, their reproductive organs settle down and work more like they should.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:35 PM

32 posts, read 10,115 times
Yes, I recently discovered that the jumbo eggs from Trader Joe's often have double yolks. Double yolks seemed fairly commonplace back in my long-ago youth, but TJ's were the first I had seen in many years.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:48 PM

1,693 posts, read 1,037,665 times
I get my eggs fresh from friends who own a ranch about an hour away. They have about 40 chickens--the original 15 were adults and proven layers, the next 20 were chicks they hatched and are now old enough to start laying, and there were another 5 they picked up here and there of various ages. So there's quite a few that are doing the double-yolk thing. Myself and another friend who buys our eggs from them have both found double-yolked eggs. I thought it was pretty neat.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:38 PM

1,953 posts, read 754,738 times
I hate egg whites. I LOVE THE YOLKS! With all this genetic engineering, how about coming up with a chicken that lays giant yolks and little or no whites? Well that's not going to happen given that it would throw the whole hatching-the-next generation thing right out the window, but it's my dream ...

I think I'm going to start putting the whites aside and freezing them to add to the next batch of bird bread. It'll be good for the birds. Then I can have my cholesterol-laden-but-yummy yolks pretty much all by themselves. (I hate waste, can't have meringue since I'm diabetic, I feel the need to do SOMETHING with the whites - other than eat them)

Old 08-27-2018, 03:22 PM
Status: "Fighting off mauraders, again..." (set 11 days ago)

1,395 posts, read 434,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Ok, I'll bite - why do you only eat the yolks? I know lots of people eat only the whites because they are trying to avoid the extra fat and cholesterol, but I've never heard of only eating the yolks.
Well, emm, they beat me to it. No pun intended... beat, eggs. It's not that uncommon, although I've known far more who eat whites only. To me, egg whites have a rubbery texture I don't enjoy, don't taste good & smell like wet dog, especially scrambled... I also feel so nauseous if I eat an egg white, I have to lie down... no kidding... so perhaps my revulsion is due to allergy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I used to just eat the yolks when I was younger. I didn't like the whites of eggs. Nowdays, all I eat are scrambled eggs.
I wish I could eat scrambled, cuz 3 egg yolks doesn't fill me. When I was a kid, my brother would eat the whites of hardboiled eggs & I'd eat the yellows. Once a friend heard me say, "Do you want to split an egg?" to him & she asked if that were cuz we were so poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbound View Post
Yes, I recently discovered that the jumbo eggs from Trader Joe's often have double yolks. Double yolks seemed fairly commonplace back in my long-ago youth, but TJ's were the first I had seen in many years.
Thank you for that... I just moved to IN & have a TJ's somewhere nearby, so I'm going to buy my next dozen of jumbos there.

I'm so envious of all of you who find twins in commercial eggs or have farms nearby or chickens outside the door. I've heard that chickens eat fleas & ticks & therefore prevent other animals from being infested with them. Unsure if that's true... but, this big city girl will believe anything you tell me about farm animals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink