U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 07:44 PM

1,934 posts, read 2,507,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Oh my - I feel like a dumb city girl now. When I was about 5 my sister and I took two eggs out of the refrigerator and tried to incubate them under our pillows. Did I mention I was born in NYC? LOL.
I was basically a city girl who was raised with a lot of exposure to my paternal grandparents, who lived on a fully working farm, but I would have done the same thing. Little kids crack me up! (pun intended - egg- cracked - lol)

I have a friend who got some mulch delivered to her house a while back. In the warm mulch, there was an egg. She took that egg and put it in her house where she kept it warm with a heating pad. It hatched! I kid you not! It was a super cute little duckling and she raised it, named it Lucky, and ended up giving it to a farmer later on, where it lives happily ever after.

Just kidding about the "lives happily ever" part, I have no idea where it is now or if it's still alive, but I promise you, the rest of the story is absolutely true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 07:45 PM

6,573 posts, read 2,323,168 times
This is an aside, something I remembered hearing about or watching on TV. In Asia, I think they have eggs with almost formed chickens, like with the feathers and all, and they eat them like that. I think they said it has special nutrition and makes people feel energized or strong. I may be wrong but I think they even say that pregnant women eat them or they eat them after giving birth to avoid post-partnum depression. It was a long time ago so I may be wrong on some points.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
This is an aside, something I remembered hearing about or watching on TV. In Asia, I think they have eggs with almost formed chickens, like with the feathers and all, and they eat them like that. I think they said it has special nutrition and makes people feel energized or strong. I may be wrong but I think they even say that pregnant women eat them or they eat them after giving birth to avoid post-partnum depression. It was a long time ago so I may be wrong on some points.
Yes, you are right. It's called Balut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)

Old 08-29-2018, 08:46 PM

35,955 posts, read 40,332,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
If you're putting egg whites into bread to feed the birds and they eat it, isn't that, like, cannibalism?

I've noticed that with the jumbo eggs, the shells are much thinner than regular eggs. On occasion when I've had to buy large eggs, I tap them lightly to break the shell and am always surprised when I have to use more force to break them.
Commercially farmed eggs in general are typically thinner-shelled.

Old 08-30-2018, 06:40 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,476,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Yes, you are right. It's called Balut.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balut_(food)
Josh Gates tried that and even he, who it seems can eat just about anything, choked on trying to get it down.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Josh Gates tried that and even he, who it seems can eat just about anything, choked on trying to get it down.
I would never eat Balut! Yuk! Just sharing information.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 PM

35,955 posts, read 40,332,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Not from my experience. Brown eggs are a bit "Rougher" tasting. Still good, but prefer the white ones.
We have breeds that lay brown-shelled eggs, white-shelled, and blue-shelled.

Cooked and served side by side, you cannot tell the difference. Diet can affect the taste, but they all eat the same diet.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:03 AM

32,960 posts, read 40,374,118 times
I thought of this thread this morning. I was having my weekly "treat" of a couple fried eggs instead of the usual liquid scrambled variety. Both eggs were double yolked.

Old 08-31-2018, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I thought of this thread this morning. I was having my weekly "treat" of a couple fried eggs instead of the usual liquid scrambled variety. Both eggs were double yolked.
Oh, lucky you! I would be so excited if that happened to me. BTW - has anyone reading this thread ever cracked open an egg and found a triple yolk? I never have, but I would be super happy to see one.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:40 PM

11,126 posts, read 4,486,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm always a bit reluctant to point this out, because I feel I am telling people something they already know. So, apologize if you were just making a joke.

The yolk of the egg is not a baby chick and it is not going to turn into a chick.
It was a serious question. I assumed people would understand I meant a fertilized egg with two yolks which obviously would or should turn into chicks. I guess I can't take anything for granted. By twins I mean two chicks coming from one egg. Is this possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink