U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 PM

11,126 posts, read 4,486,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
It was a serious question. I assumed people would understand I meant a fertilized egg with two yolks which obviously would or should turn into chicks. I guess I can't take anything for granted. By twins I mean two chicks coming from one egg. Is this possible?
I google it, and it's possible for two chicks to come from one egg although it's extremely rare for both chicks to survive. This is from a backyard chicken forum.

"I had a hen and she hatched ALOT of chicks in her life time. One was a double yoker. One gray chick and one black were in one VERY long egg. They lived."

https://www.backyardchickens.com/thr...chicks.624163/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2018, 01:58 AM

4,926 posts, read 2,476,070 times
I just found this picture and I had to post it.
And of course, I had to post its opposite.
Attached Thumbnails
Double yolks-59b1005a27535_kcmgkdt__605.jpg   Double yolks-people-lost-food-lottery-183-5978634ee6772__605.jpg  

Old 09-08-2018, 12:20 PM

574 posts, read 667,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
I have chickens and the double yolk is a reproductive tract hiccup. They will also lay eggs with no shell. Or, a tiny egg with just the white.
What would this look like? Would it just be the yolk and white in the membrane that's usually under the shell?

Old 09-08-2018, 12:46 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,091,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
What would this look like? Would it just be the yolk and white in the membrane that's usually under the shell?

It depends. I just got a tiny shell less blue egg last week. But I know who laid it. It was a game hen, and she hadn't been laying for a while(trying to hatch eggs), so her first egg back in action.....ooopsed out a shelless egg. Just membrane and egg white.

The hens are ware when they need to lay an egg. I am sure there is some level of sensation, but of course I wouldn't know what.

Or, if they need calcium, the egg shell is very delicate and brittle. Easily gets crushed in the nest box.

But no, the ooops eggs, I have never seen them with the yolk.

Many times, it will be the pullets who have just started laying eggs that pop out all sorts of interesting eggs

Old 09-08-2018, 10:35 PM

35,955 posts, read 40,332,560 times
We got an oddball egg about a month ago...it was one of our Easter eggers...small and perfectly round, like a powder blue ping pong ball.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:26 PM

574 posts, read 667,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
It depends. I just got a tiny shell less blue egg last week. But I know who laid it. It was a game hen, and she hadn't been laying for a while(trying to hatch eggs), so her first egg back in action.....ooopsed out a shelless egg. Just membrane and egg white.

The hens are ware when they need to lay an egg. I am sure there is some level of sensation, but of course I wouldn't know what.

Or, if they need calcium, the egg shell is very delicate and brittle. Easily gets crushed in the nest box.

But no, the ooops eggs, I have never seen them with the yolk.

Many times, it will be the pullets who have just started laying eggs that pop out all sorts of interesting eggs
That's really weird and interesting, thanks for the reply.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:32 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,091,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrodinger's Kittens View Post
That's really weird and interesting, thanks for the reply.
It is interesting, isn't it. I am new to poultry, only having started in 2011. It has been a wonderful learning experience.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:12 PM

2,055 posts, read 841,985 times
OK, y'all. I JUST got around to buying a box of Jumbo size eggs. Well I tried a few times before and always missed out because they were not in stock.

Anyway. The result?

NOT A SINGLE DOUBLE YOLK. You guys let me down, LOL! At least the yolk of a Jumbo size egg is noticeably larger than a "large" one. But then, there's more white, too.

I gave up on the idea of trying to save the whites for bird bread when I realized JUST HOW MUCH EGG WHITE there is in a dozen large eggs. I'd have to be feeding bird bread to most of the tropical rain forest denizens, LOL!

Old 01-29-2019, 11:59 PM

23,604 posts, read 22,568,428 times
I've only consistently gotten double yolks in jumbo eggs when buying them from a store which purchases them from a local farm.

Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM

6,012 posts, read 11,249,446 times
Most of our double yolks come from hens (duck and chicken) that have been through molt and are starting to lay again.

Someone mentioned doubles being twins. They would be but there isn't enough room in the shell for two chicks to fully develop. I broke open what I was sure was a double yolk when the egg was no longer viable. It looked like one chick stopped developing and died before the other. I make sure hens don't keep doubles now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink