U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 12:29 PM

20,999 posts, read 25,750,723 times

Advertisements

With fresh vegetables, it is variety that makes a difference, and the biggest difference of all is picked ripe and eaten very soon thereafter.

With canned foods and frozen foods, usually the organic stuff is not as good. Canned organic ( dry ) beans are insufficiently cooked. Frozen vegetables are picked much too mature, I suppose to get them bigger. Foods are under salted and way under spiced. The frozen foods are under-sauced. Processors are very chintzy with expensive product and processing.

Home cooked beats processed hands down, no matter whether it is organic or not. Fresh picked fruit and veggies are much better than picked green and shipped long distances, and it doesn't matter, organic or not.

Eggs that are really fresh from free range chickens with access to sunshine, bugs, and greenery are much better than mass produced eggs, and it doesn't matter whether they are organic or not. Home raised meat, well cared for and fed and processed for flavor, beats super market meat, and organic doesn't make any difference at all.

Now, if a person prefers organic, for whatever reason they want, there's nothing wrong with that. But I've home raised a lot of meat, fruit, and vegetables, and there is no taste advantage to organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 02:37 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,761,042 times
Default Go to Holland

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
I bought and cooked an organic eggplant that is round shaped and lighter in color today. It is more delicious than the non-organic. It actually has its own eggplant taste. Didn't notice such difference in other food. So I'm curious, which food tastes much better when it's organic?
Try sfood in Holland. Milk tastes like it's just off the farm, etc. Without getting into the "whole foods, whole paycheck" debate, I haven't opened a can of something for two or three decades. While down in Los Angeles mom says her sight and hearing are going, but her taste buds are doing just fine.

So I had to source my favourite Irish cheddar, which was actually TWO US DOLLARS more than in Canada. So much for supply side dairy economics.

Old 08-27-2018, 03:41 PM

4,837 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Nope can't taste the difference. I have an aversion for hyped products labeled organic to line pockets. I have a garden plot and most vegetables are fresh . Haven't had the soil tested to see if it meets the standards to be deemed ' organic'. The vitamin source is the same and the seeds are properly germated..beyond that ..I am 100% convinced that if you blindfolded and prepared items not one person could say..why yes that's organic.
When water is labeled organic I think it will confirm the silliness of the industry hype.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:45 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Nope can't taste the difference. I have an aversion for hyped products labeled organic to line pockets. I have a garden plot and most vegetables are fresh . Haven't had the soil tested to see if it meets the standards to be deemed ' organic'. The vitamin source is the same and the seeds are properly germated..beyond that ..I am 100% convinced that if you blindfolded and prepared items not one person could say..why yes that's organic.
When water is labeled organic I think it will confirm the silliness of the industry hype.
confirm the silliness of the industry hype" ...great line...not only the hype...but they are making big money off these organics....

stores can mark up organics 70-80% knowing its not the price driven customer...

Old 08-27-2018, 06:29 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,658,806 times
Organic bananas taste much better than non-organic. I bought them once and never went back to buying non-organic. And they only cost 10-20 cents more per pound.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:06 PM

183,827 posts, read 74,970,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Not many weeks ago Kroger was selling "Organic Water" which is impossible unless it's contaminated.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:32 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Organic milk is better...
I've always thought it tastes worse! Probably because it's ultra-pasteurized (heated more).

Old 08-27-2018, 08:22 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I've always thought it tastes worse! Probably because it's ultra-pasteurized (heated more).
Agreed; maybe it's better if you can get it fresh (raw), but the commercially available kind is ultra-pasteurized and has a strange, cooked flavor.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:26 PM

2,677 posts, read 3,881,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Organic milk is better...
Absolutely true. I love organic milk and I don't like milk.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:59 PM

4,837 posts, read 2,145,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Not many weeks ago Kroger was selling "Organic Water" which is impossible unless it's contaminated.

okay its official...silliness has met its epex!

Goodness gracious folks... wait til the consumers find out that logically it should cost way less to grow veggies that have no pesticides or previous soil chemical treatment.

Rotating soil crops has been a key. Reckon the Amish in my area could make a killing with this "organic" hype. Since they do not enhance the soil ..for higher yield. THey make do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or