U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 01:26 AM

4,124 posts, read 5,028,994 times

Advertisements

The only difference I've ever noticed was milk. It seems creamier to me..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 03:35 AM

733 posts, read 155,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
Try raw milk. Its about half cream.

Old 08-28-2018, 06:21 AM

33,219 posts, read 12,725,250 times
Not sure it's the organic versus inorganic that makes the taste difference. It's more the variety and method of raising.

Farm-raised, free-range chicken taste like chicken to me. From the store, not so much. Same with eggs.

Heirloom, homegrown tomatoes taste like tomatoes.

Ditto with lots of other fruits and vegetables.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:46 AM

69,590 posts, read 79,920,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Not sure it's the organic versus inorganic that makes the taste difference. It's more the variety and method of raising.

Farm-raised, free-range chicken taste like chicken to me. From the store, not so much. Same with eggs.

Heirloom, homegrown tomatoes taste like tomatoes.

Ditto with lots of other fruits and vegetables.
I think that is how many of us feel. It is more the way the product was raised or grown than whether it is truly organic. I have to say and this is hard for me, I really have not seen a lot of difference in free range eggs compared to what we get in the store, certainly not enough to justify the cost. Why this is hard for me, I was a strong supporter of free range for years regardless of the price. Then both of our suppliers went out of business so we switched back to store eggs for about 1/2 the price

Old 08-28-2018, 07:56 AM

20,280 posts, read 28,478,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
At the local Kroger organic Collards are $2.99 a bunch. Similar size not labelled as organic is 99cents a bunch. How come organic costs more if they are not paying for the chemicals that the others guys are using? btw -- we buy a lot of our veggies at the Mennonite farmer's market near here. Totally organic and cheaper than Kroger, Publix, and even WalMart.
Organic costs more because the effort involved is the same but the yield is far lower, and chemicals aren't that expensive especially when factoring amount produced as a result. Furthermore as an FYI, being Mennonite does not automatically equate to organic farming practices and given the cost factor mentioned would pretty much guarantee not.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:52 AM

2,964 posts, read 1,976,830 times
I know the post is about what you taste but many times organic is not about what you taste. And sure, we are taking the word of the growers and producers but doesn't organic have to be certified as so? In theory anyway, it's about not consuming pesticides, herbicides, hormones, additives, the list goes on and on.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:22 AM

15,813 posts, read 13,277,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think that is how many of us feel. It is more the way the product was raised or grown than whether it is truly organic. I have to say and this is hard for me, I really have not seen a lot of difference in free range eggs compared to what we get in the store, certainly not enough to justify the cost. Why this is hard for me, I was a strong supporter of free range for years regardless of the price. Then both of our suppliers went out of business so we switched back to store eggs for about 1/2 the price
You local markers market likely has unpasteurized farm eggs.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:21 AM

7,123 posts, read 5,294,371 times
Its more the variety and the freshness...

If I grow tomatoes in potting soil or a hydroponics greenhouse, they won't taste as good as ones I grow in the dirt in my yard.

I've grown the more popular tomato varieties and they're mostly "meh..."

But the heirloom varieties taste much better. The flip side is that they are much harder to grow IME. Fewer, more likely to rot, more susceptible to disease...

The organic bit has nothing to do with it, as mine aren't organic; I use fertilizer as you kind of need to where I'm at.

Ditto my chickens and their eggs. The eggs taste better because they're fresh, unpasteurized, and because they range my yard and eat weeds and plants and bugs and worms all day. The food I feed them is probably GMO and non-organic.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:38 AM

5,657 posts, read 6,524,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
At the local Kroger organic Collards are $2.99 a bunch. Similar size not labelled as organic is 99cents a bunch. How come organic costs more if they are not paying for the chemicals that the others guys are using?
Using chemicals saves money or makes money. You get more crops, quicker, and with less labor; and you lose fewer crops to insects, disease, and competition from weeds.

The chemicals themselves cost money, but not using chemicals costs more money.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:12 PM

864 posts, read 196,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
That's seems to be the mouth-feel of the UHT pasteurization process that organic milk is usually subjected to. I taste it that way also. Non-organic milk is often just subject to the normal high temp pasteurization - and somehow results in a taste which is a tad less creamy. Of course some people don't notice the difference as they do not have the same sensitivity. The difference is more pronounced with processed milks where fat has been removed - like the 1%.

Its like people who can detect the difference between boiling water versus very hot but not boiling water just by listening. Most tea drinkers can immediately tell by sound (its a water viscosity effect) if the water they just poured from the kettle onto their teabag was actually just off boiling or mistakenly 5 minutes later than boiling (like after getting distracted by the crossword when the kettle boiled). Others can't hear a difference at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or