U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 08:17 AM

746 posts, read 627,466 times

Advertisements

Have y'all ever tried Promised Land milk? I don't think it's technically organic but OMG! It is so delicious, I can't even tell you. The strawberry milk is NOT pink and tastes like fresh strawberries, the chocolate milk is thick and creamy and the eggnog....when that stuff comes out during the holidays I stock up.

Anyway.

My husband and I have grown oranges, lemons, celery, broccoli, carrots, bell peppers, tomatoes, rosemary, oregano, dill, sage, jalapenos, pumpkins and green beans. All tasted better than the store versions and we just did some organic soil and good old water.

I've begun buying a lot more organic fruits and veggies, as the prices seem to be going down. I think organic carrots, lettuces, cabbages and apples taste much better than their counterparts. Oh, and fresh eggs are 1000x's better than the standard grocery store versions!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 08:27 AM

34,675 posts, read 42,823,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As far as I am concerned nothing: produce from the farmers market does taste much better but not because some is organic; the reason is freshness. Most of what we get at our smaller farmers markets is strictly produced by the small farmers selling and has been picked in the past few days. It keeps for a long time and tastes better.
True, but also perhaps more organic plants are grown for flavor, rather than long shelf life or other features to make them more commercial.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:52 AM

4,662 posts, read 3,035,691 times
To me the issue is freshness rather than organic vs. non.

When I was gardening, I'd start the water boiling, run out to pick the corn, clean off the hair and other stuff, and cook the ears. How I miss that sweet, fresh corn.

Same is true with my tomatoes and sweet peas. It's all about freshness. Crop that gave me the most pride was the cantaloupes.

Other day I bought a bag of organic boneless red table grapes. Half of them were "turned," with that white exudate. Those that hadn't "turned" were nothing special. Shucks, give me the chemical preservatives rather than a mess like that.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:09 AM

257 posts, read 93,722 times
Being "organic" has no impact on how a vegetable tastes, main factors that do affect taste are variety of the vegetable and how long ago it was harvested. Some organic farmers will choose varieties of vegetables that have better taste, as conventional vegetables sold in supermarkets are generally of varieties where taste is subordinate to holding up well to cross-country shipping without a lot of loss to spoilage, and looking good on in the grocery store. Some of the tastiest varieties of fruits and vegetables are the least conventionally attractive, nor to they hold up well to long distance shipping and storage.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM

13,058 posts, read 7,219,545 times
Well I'm kind of spoiled. I've had a lot of fresh organic eggplant from my garden along with zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, tomatoes, broccoli, and kale. Nothing store bought can compare with that.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:48 PM

51,371 posts, read 50,647,478 times
I just bought something labeled "Organic" that made me think of this thread.

Trader Joe's Organic Mayonnaise. I buy it for the taste, not because it's organic, and I'm not even sure "organic" is why it tastes so good. BEST mayonnaise EVER, hands down. Has a nice tang, not the blah nothingness of Kraft or Hellman's.

Unfortunately, it also comes with a higher price tag for a smaller jar than the common brands, but to me it's worth being one of those things I won't cheap out on.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:13 PM

1,498 posts, read 337,683 times
Foods? Can't tell.

But certain boutique bottles of milk do taste differently than plastic no-name gallons.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:26 PM

9,136 posts, read 3,948,162 times
Definitely eggs IMO. The organic tastes much better. I really can't tell much of a difference in fruits other than they seem to spoil quicker.

Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 PM

5,335 posts, read 7,675,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Definitely eggs IMO. The organic tastes much better. I really can't tell much of a difference in fruits other than they seem to spoil quicker.
The yolks are deeper yellow and much less likely to break as well. If you look at an organic egg and a non-organic egg side by side you will see the organic yolk stands up higher and a big difference in yolk color.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:42 PM

5,518 posts, read 3,375,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
The yolks are deeper yellow and much less likely to break as well. If you look at an organic egg and a non-organic egg side by side you will see the organic yolk stands up higher and a big difference in yolk color.
A yolk that stands up higher and is less likely to break is from a fresher egg. There's no difference between organic and non-organic there.

The color of the yolk depends on what the hens have been fed. Sometimes chickens are even given bright yellow or orange foods on purpose to make the yolks yellower, as people tend to equate a brighter color with more nutrients and richer flavor. But there is not necessarily any correlation; a pale yolk can taste just the same and have the same nutrients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or