Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 09:14 AM

2,997 posts, read 1,960,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Dairy products like cream and butter.

Lettuce, Spinach, Tomatoes.

Berries like Raspberries are noticeably better IMO.

It also makes no sense to me to buy organic root vegetables, they grow underground. i.e. Potatoes, onions, carrots.
I buy organic potatoes because non-organic potatoes are heavily pesticided (if that's a word). Guess potatoes are tasty to a lot of critters including humans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 09:40 AM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Let’s not overlook price

Organic boneless chicken breast is 7.99 l

The regular is 1 .99 lb

Yes two different consumers

We did taste test on cooked. Boneless breast -
When told one was organic 70 % said the organic was better

When we said the conventional. Was organic -
Again. 70% said the organic was better even tho it wasn’t organic

When. Neither was identified it was 50/50

Proving the word organic has a halo affect

Old 08-27-2018, 09:44 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,398,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
I buy organic potatoes because non-organic potatoes are heavily pesticided (if that's a word). Guess potatoes are tasty to a lot of critters including humans.
Undergound critters? or are they attacking the above ground plant?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:53 AM

26,637 posts, read 28,446,887 times
Organic beets may taste better. When I grow my own, they're organic but the ones from the grocery store taste bad. So I bought some organic beets and they tasted just like my home grown beets. Also, since the leaves haven't been sprayed with pesticides you can eat them too.

As for the beet itself, I don't know why it would taste better but when I grow my own it's in how I prepare the soil with bone meal to sweeten it. Maybe the organic growers do that too.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:59 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,706,322 times
Organic milk is better...

Old 08-27-2018, 10:10 AM

4,334 posts, read 4,279,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Let’s not overlook price

The regular is 1 .99 lb

At the local Kroger organic Collards are $2.99 a bunch. Similar size not labelled as organic is 99cents a bunch. How come organic costs more if they are not paying for the chemicals that the others guys are using?

btw -- we buy a lot of our veggies at the Mennonite farmer's market near here. Totally organic and cheaper than Kroger, Publix, and even WalMart.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:22 AM

14,202 posts, read 11,461,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It also makes no sense to me to buy organic root vegetables, they grow underground. i.e. Potatoes, onions, carrots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
Conventional carrots and onions are probably OK. Potatoes are prone to diseases and pests and are indeed heavily sprayed. My sister lived in central Washington and knew a potato farmer; she said his workers were ordered to stay away from the fields for a certain number of days after each application of pesticide/herbicide/fungicide because these substances were so toxic. And of course, a lot of that stuff soaks down into the ground.

In fact, even though potatoes grow underground, they have been shown to have more pesticide residue than almost any other crop.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,398,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Conventional carrots and onions are probably OK. Potatoes are prone to diseases and pests and are indeed heavily sprayed. My sister lived in central Washington and knew a potato farmer; she said his workers were ordered to stay away from the fields for a certain number of days after each application of pesticide/herbicide/fungicide because these substances were so toxic. And of course, a lot of that stuff soaks down into the ground.

In fact, even though potatoes grow underground, they have been shown to have more pesticide residue than almost any other crop.
I'm glad I don't eat potatoes but that's another story for another forum.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:57 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,230,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Let’s not overlook price

The regular is 1 .99 lb

Amen.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:06 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,230,756 times
Potatoes are sprayed right before harvest to kill the tops to make it easier for machine harvest. Some object to that. I'd like to conduct a controlled taste test with just facts where everything is blind to the tasters. No chance of a placebo effect. I look at the periodic chart of the elements and see no specifications for the elements that plants take up from the soil. Long ago the master of the organic gardening movement pointed out that as far as plant nutrition the soil had to break down any source into the same form. Variety, season, soil types, and many more things can alter flavor. It is true that todays vegetables are all to often bred for shelf life. Tomatoes from the 50's had high spoilage in the markets. In the 70's I grew two tomato patches on two different soils. One sandy river silt and the other heavy black clay. No other differences. Variety was JetStar. The tomatoes grown on silt were not fit for human consumption. The heavy black clay were delicious. Same fertilization. So show me a blind taste test with all things being equal except the fertilizer and sprays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink