Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 PM

7,634 posts, read 8,701,274 times

Advertisements

I bought and cooked an organic eggplant that is round shaped and lighter in color today. It is more delicious than the non-organic. It actually has its own eggplant taste. Didn't notice such difference in other food. So I'm curious, which food tastes much better when it's organic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:55 PM

3,053 posts, read 2,028,840 times
Organic green beans taste great. Non-organic taste like nothing. I have grown green beans several times over the years when my schedule allowed and nothing beats homegrown taste, organic comes the closest. It may not be the "organic" part that makes them taste better, it may be the choice of which bean they grow.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:12 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
It may not be the "organic" part that makes them taste better, it may be the choice of which bean they grow.
Agreed. I buy strawberries at the farmer's market, sometimes from a certified organic vendor and other times from regular vendors. I can't tell the difference in taste between organic and non-organic in this case, but both taste 100% more flavorful than the large, hard berries from the supermarket. Those ones are a variety bred to look pretty and ship well, but have almost no flavor.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:11 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,081,313 times
Organic is such a loosely used term at present. I bought some organic rosemary for yesterdays dinner, couldn't tell the difference from the non-organic we've bought in the past.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
As far as I am concerned nothing: produce from the farmers market does taste much better but not because some is organic; the reason is freshness. Most of what we get at our smaller farmers markets is strictly produced by the small farmers selling and has been picked in the past few days. It keeps for a long time and tastes better.

Old 08-27-2018, 04:46 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,204,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
As far as I am concerned nothing: produce from the farmers market does taste much better but not because some is organic; the reason is freshness. Most of what we get at our smaller farmers markets is strictly produced by the small farmers selling and has been picked in the past few days. It keeps for a long time and tastes better.
great post and I agree

an apple just picked from a tree in an orchard is going to be 10x better than a Washington apple
5 months older at a grocery store...

grocery stores seem to get dumped on......but consider this they offer fruits and veggies from all over the world when local harvests are not in season

I consider a supermarket a modern marvel...… anyone of us can pretty much walk in and buy any food we want
from bananas to pineapples to grapes.... to watermelon.. if a person from 100 yrs ago 1000, 5000, 10k 50k years ago was able to see our world today.... the supermarket and readily available foods year round would be an impressive sight and thats only been in the last 80 yrs.

if I had to depend on farm stands and seasonal harvests … for my foods id be very limited

tough to have fresh produce in the winter

yes many "canned" years ago but thats still limited to what you see in a grocery store today.

and of course tomatoes grown in your own garden is going to taste better than "store bought" it has to do with freshness..and the effort you put into them....
not a fair comparison....but again stores get dumped on..

around here...the local farmers are getting smarter instead of dumping on the local stores they have partnered with them for locally grown and taken advantage of the stores traffic count the stores will "sign" what farm the produce is from.... its a win win ..
but harvest season up hear is mostly summer and fall ….
tough to have a farmstand under 3 feet of snow in the winter.....

ive had poor relatives that pretty much lived off the grid and hunted and foraged for their own food... and he never complained about "store bought" he was of the mind set we are blessed to have food we can choose from around the world.... particularly out of season

as far as organics..... I sell organic meats and produce.... ironically the same big ag companies that the organic movement railed against...and now some of the biggest producers of organics...

i'll go with local in season produce anyday

Old 08-27-2018, 04:47 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,599,205 times
Most of the time, it's the difference in variety that makes the flavor difference. For instance, at the farmer's market, I get pink tomatoes which are so much better than the shipping variety that's sold at most grocery stores. The eggplant the OP wrote about is a different variety than the ubiquitous dark purple that's typically seen. As saibot said, the varieties sold at the mass market groceries are chosen for their ability to ship well and not ripen too quickly, and those qualities do not equate to good flavor.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:00 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,722,171 times
I am surprised no one mentioned the heirloom effect. Many factory farmed fruits and veggies have been selectively bred to ripen off the vine, look most appealing, to not spoil quickly and there are issues with seeds that would be its own thread. Heirlooms were just bred for taste. Many, if not most, organic farmers use heirloom varieties which can explain why they taste better as well as the freshness issue. IMO frozen heirlooms/organic veggies still have more flavor than their non counterparts.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:31 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times
Dairy products like cream and butter.

Lettuce, Spinach, Tomatoes.

Berries like Raspberries are noticeably better IMO.

It also makes no sense to me to buy organic root vegetables, they grow underground. i.e. Potatoes, onions, carrots.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:39 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Agreed. I buy strawberries at the farmer's market, sometimes from a certified organic vendor and other times from regular vendors. I can't tell the difference in taste between organic and non-organic in this case, but both taste 100% more flavorful than the large, hard berries from the supermarket. Those ones are a variety bred to look pretty and ship well, but have almost no flavor.
Similar experience to this and to what others have shared and commented.

I live in the vicinity of strawberry farms, organic of course.

When I buy strawberries at the supermarket, I can't tell the difference between organic and non-organic.

When I pick strawberries myself from the strawberry farm I can taste the sun and dirt that they came from.

Now that's organic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink