U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 11:16 PM

164 posts, read 40,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I thought I had just begun disliking tuna, because so many had gone to awful, waterlogged water packed varieties.

I started buying yellowfin packed in olive oil from Trader Joe's , and lo and behold, I like tuna again.
that's good to know Tab. I'll try that. thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I've stopped buying canned tuna. I was buying the Costco solid albacore that used to be very nice, but it is a bit expensive and the last packages I've bought, several cans contained grated tuna, not solid, and there was dark tuna in some of the cans, and a couple of cans of the dark grated tuna stank. I'm not paying that high price to get nasty dark grated tuna.

I used to buy frozen tilapia fillets. Steam one of those and mix it into "tuna" salad and it is quite good. But I had to give that up, too, because I can no longer find any tilapia that doesn't come from China.
good, the same here for fish from china. Now that we're importing chicken from china, I've stopped eating those pre-cooked bags of chicken and pretty much any pre-cooked chicken. I've searched and searched and they say none of the companies who now purchase chicken from China are known to us. It's a new law that they don't have to reveal it. I suspect it is Tyson, but don't know for sure. So, I no longer eat it. The article stated that it started last March was the first shipment from China. I'll try to find the link and post it.

I stopped eating non-fresh fish a long time ago for the same reason.

Last edited by settled00; 08-27-2018 at 11:36 PM..

Old 08-27-2018, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Albacore is a very low grade tuna, its the advertising that makes folks think it is top grade. Try some yellowfin packed in olive oil, especially from Spain or Italy.
I can confirm what you're saying. I buy tuna packed in olive oil and from both Spain and Italy. It costs more but guess what? It tastes like the tuna we used to get. I rarely buy tuna because it's gross now. Thankfully I can afford the better stuff, but it saddens to see the low standards we now have are akin to 3rd world.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:56 AM

20,999 posts, read 25,737,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Albacore is a very low grade tuna, its the advertising that makes folks think it is top grade. ...........
Maybe that's why people buy albacore now, but the big switch to albacore was because albacore must be line caught. It can't be netted. Other tuna is netted which kills a lot of dolphins and other sea life besides the tuna.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 AM

10,375 posts, read 2,809,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
In the referred thread, someone turned me on to Trader Joe's Yellowfin Tuna, packed in oil, of course. I don't like the tuna in water and feel that was a big marketing scam when it first came out during the low-fat panic in the 80s.

I'm with Julia Child, who once disparaged tuna packed in water with the remark, "What Nutritional Nellie ever came up with THAT?"

But that Yellowfin is tasty, and my new favorite canned tuna.

I couldn't agree more! I think we're getting a Trader Joe's nearby soon. I can't wait to check it out. Right now I use Genova yellowfin in olive oil.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:15 AM

10,375 posts, read 2,809,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
In 2013? That's the only one I see. Is one every five years acceptable?
The thread I posted a link to was started this April.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM

33,134 posts, read 39,067,107 times
If available try Rio Mare tuna,=Rio Mare Tuna: The one and only

Old 08-28-2018, 02:10 AM

654 posts, read 138,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe that's why people buy albacore now, but the big switch to albacore was because albacore must be line caught. It can't be netted. Other tuna is netted which kills a lot of dolphins and other sea life besides the tuna.
You want to see a lot of dolphins killed? Watch the 2009 documentary "The Cove". My buddy won an Oscar for his participation in the filming of that documentary. Might give you a view of Japanese fishing practices.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:48 AM

9,098 posts, read 3,918,635 times
I always buy Bumblebee prime fillet in Olive Oil. I don't really care for canned tuna but I keep it in my emergency hurricane supplies.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:50 AM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
I can confirm what you're saying. I buy tuna packed in olive oil and from both Spain and Italy. It costs more but guess what? It tastes like the tuna we used to get. I rarely buy tuna because it's gross now. Thankfully I can afford the better stuff, but it saddens to see the low standards we now have are akin to 3rd world.
I eat tuna in the first place ONLY because it's a cheap protein -- and was a cheap protein that used to taste half-way good. If I have to pay out the wazoo for a palatable can, I'll probably skip it altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink