U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:51 AM

7,157 posts, read 3,831,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I always buy Bumblebee prime fillet in Olive Oil. I don't really care for canned tuna but I keep it in my emergency hurricane supplies.
See? "Prime fillet" is what used to be basic TUNA. It's like having to get a master's degree to get the education we used to get in high school and then in a four-year college. They keep (artificially) raising the bar...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:29 PM

4,145 posts, read 1,493,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Is it my imagination, or is the quality getting worse and worse with the long-trusted supermarket name brands? Now that albacore has become a thing, the light is akin to cat food, and even the "solid/chunk white albacore" is mealy and slimy unless you buy the most expensive brands. Anyone else notice this, and what brands would you recommend (before I have to feed even more of it to my cats)?
Undoubtedly true, I've noticed the same thing. It's across the board for nearly every single product. Can't say I've found any national tuna brands that are decent anymore.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:01 PM

8,872 posts, read 8,215,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://www.genovaseafood.com/produc...l-and-sea-salt

I’ve posted about this before. I really like this tuna. It is better than albacore. Wonderful eaten in a green salad, or made into tuna salad, or used for tuna melts. It tastes like tuna, but in a good way. I rinse off excess oil and drain before using.

Yes, even major brand tuna has deteriorated badly in the last decade.

The genova oil packed yellowfin seems to be widely available in my corner of the PNW. If you find it, try it.
"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to silibran again."

I buy Genova Yellowfin as an Amazon Subscribe & Save item. $45.04 instead of $52.99 (15% off), or $1.87 per can (vs. $2+ at the store). I go through a case every two or three months. You tell them how often you want it delivered. I like it a lot more than most tuna, though Wild Planet, which Delehanty mentions, is also a favorite of mine.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V54D0P2...tail_page?th=1

Last edited by jay5835; 08-28-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 08-28-2018, 05:27 PM

423 posts, read 236,329 times
Quote:
Is it my imagination, or is the quality getting worse and worse with the long-trusted supermarket name brands? Now that albacore has become a thing, the light is akin to cat food, and even the "solid/chunk white albacore" is mealy and slimy unless you buy the most expensive brands. Anyone else notice this, and what brands would you recommend (before I have to feed even more of it to my cats)?
Canned tuna IS cat food..............

Old 08-28-2018, 06:54 PM

6,197 posts, read 3,292,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Maybe that's why people buy albacore now, but the big switch to albacore was because albacore must be line caught. It can't be netted. Other tuna is netted which kills a lot of dolphins and other sea life besides the tuna.
I used to buy albacore. Then I read that it has much more mercury in it than regular tuna. That's why I bought regular tuna the last time (which turned out to smell awful and taste just as bad).

So I've given up tuna, I guess. I was down to eating it only occasionally, anyway, because of the mercury content.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:12 PM

104 posts, read 43,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogboa View Post
Albacore is a very low grade tuna, its the advertising that makes folks think it is top grade. Try some yellowfin packed in olive oil, especially from Spain or Italy.
My favorite: ventresca tuna - so good!

Old 08-28-2018, 08:11 PM

11,852 posts, read 7,781,375 times
I don't even understand how people can eat canned tuna. It tastes awful compared to raw tuna. Canned Salmon is equally awful.

The only fish I can eat from cans are mackerel, sardines, and anchovies. They have a higher Omega 3 content than Tuna and less mercury.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:13 PM

4,205 posts, read 2,194,190 times
Epicurious did a testing of canned tuna and the winner for best canned tuna was Wild Planet. They also liked a Whole Foods brand called Pole & Line Tuna. Here's the taste test:

https://www.epicurious.com/expert-ad...to-buy-article

Other brands included in their taste test (and apparently rejected) were the following:

Crown Prince Solid White Albacore Tuna in Spring Water
Safe Catch Wild Albacore Tuna
Trader Joe's Albacore Tuna in Water, Salt Added
Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore
Market Pantry Solid White Albacore Tuna in Water
StarKist Solid White Albacore Tuna
American Tuna with Sea Salt

Old 08-28-2018, 09:32 PM

33,776 posts, read 52,103,238 times
Quote:
Yes! The quality of our canned fish is deteriorating quite fast. Lots of cheap choices that indeed resemble cat food (actually fish cat food looks better that the human version). Many of the tunas are bone dry in texture or mushy. They either lack any real seafood flavor or had a musty, rancid, or overly fishy taste.
Cans are getting smaller, filled with shredded fish fibers swimming in water. Chunks are of low quality, mostly - except you pay more than $3 for a small can.
There are some weird salads combos with rice and veggies that really look like cat food.
Most of the fish is made somewhere far away like China or Thailand, or there is no indication where the mystery came from.
Personally I like California Garden (first choice), Tonnino, Genoa, Wild Planet.

Here is my another complaint about the canned fish food - the variety. In any given supermarket you see several shelves full of tuna - big cans and small of various brands. Some in oil, most in water.
But the "other" fish is barely present. You might see one or two brands with sardines, or salmon, or even herring - few cans of each. Other seafood like mussels, squid, octopus, oysters, is hit and miss - I visited several stores to find me some mussels which I love as a topping of my green salad.
Clams are rare, and so is mackerel, trout, prawns, shrimps, lobster, sprats ...
Never saw any (except in specialty or import stores) eel, cod, cod liver, hake, white fish, flounder, halibut ...
Generally tuna rules (at least in my area) and I often wonder what's happening with the other fish species?
Why aren't they canned or not popular on US market?
World, Europe, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Exercise and Fitness, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Last edited by elnina; 08-28-2018 at 09:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-28-2018, 09:33 PM

3,181 posts, read 2,777,979 times
Talking Recipe: celery, onion, peas, leftover macaroni or shells, a little mayo, spices, canned tuna packed in oil, well drained

I like to make cold "tuna noodle salad" in the summer. Sadly, the quality of "Chunk light' has fallen considerably over the years, and neither fresh nor "Solid White" works in my salad recipe, and I'm not paying +$5/can for ventresca to go into pasta salad!

Closest thing I've found to the old chunk light is the aforementioned "Albacore Tuna" at Trader Joe's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink