U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:59 PM

2,803 posts, read 2,517,879 times

Advertisements

My inventory of canned fish includes:
Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore, and I too, have observed a drop in quality. I usually stock up when it is about $1.25 a can. A few years a back I found a whole case recently shelved and obviously mis-marked at the deep discount grocer at .98 and cleaned them out. I don't eat them too often but I do like the nutritional value and the fact they are one of longest shelf life canned protein options. I noticed the latest version have soy in with the vegetable broth and salt which prompts me to rinse after opening.

Yellowfin tuna in Oil is excellent and pricier but worth it for the consistently better quality.

Alternatives:
Sardines, in oil, lightly smoked (preferred)

Smoked Herring Fillets: Atlantic Premium brand another closeout find great value 7.5 oz $2 a can - just Herring and salt.

Aldi's will occasionally have the Deutsche Kuche brand Herring Fillets in various sauces. These are spotty on availability as they usually show up as a special buy. The quality is good from my experience. I usually rinse the sauces off as I prefer plain and sauces have other ingredients added.

Mackerel in brine . Has a heartier flavor very tasty though am wary as they are from China labeled as "Wild Caught" FWIW

Smoked Oysters

Best smoked fish I have had was fresh along the docks of Gdansk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 10:47 PM

180 posts, read 44,539 times
here's the tuna I buy. Tonnino Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil. I prefer the one in oil but they have a wide variety. It is like the stuff we had as kids. Really good. $6 but so worth it if you like quality tuna. here in NorCal they have it at the Walmarts for the best price of ~$6.00. Regular stores about $7+ all worth every penny. Here's the link:

Old 08-28-2018, 10:50 PM

180 posts, read 44,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
here's the tuna I buy. Tonnino Tuna Fillets in Olive Oil. I prefer the one in oil but they have a wide variety. It is like the stuff we had as kids. Really good. $6 but so worth it if you like quality tuna. here in NorCal they have it at the Walmarts for the best price of ~$6.00. Regular stores about $7+ all worth every penny. Here's the link:
not sure if it will allow me to post a link but here it is:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tonnino-T...RoCOGsQAvD_BwE

Old 08-29-2018, 12:10 AM

7,110 posts, read 2,219,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I like Chicken of the sea....or StarKist. I stock up when they are on sale. I know some of the store brands are like mush.
The age of the tuna, since canning, makes a lot of difference in the taste, texture and nutritional qualities. The only tuna I eat, is Pacific Crest solid albacore, that I get at a regional discount chain in the Northwest, called the Bi-Mart, for $1.38 a can and it's often on sale there, for less. Their stock always has a pull-date that's two years or more away. Another good thing, that I don't see in other brands, is that a couple of years ago, they stopped using soybean broth in it and switched to one of peas and carrots. When I chop up a couple of cans for my stew, it's hard to tell it apart from chicken breast. That company also cans yellowfin tuna, but I haven't tried it.

I've recently switched my brand of sardines from Bumblebee, to Chicken-of-the-Sea. That latter brand has a banner on the can that claims there's an improved flavor and quality. And it really is better, in taste and firmness. I get the water-pack type from a regional warehouse grocery store, called WinCo., for 94 cents a can. By the way, as good as the Pacific Crest tuna is, their sardines are terrible. You've got to do some careful shopping, to find the right brand and store, for each kind of food you buy.

Old 08-29-2018, 08:11 AM

7,091 posts, read 3,790,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
My inventory of canned fish includes:
Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore, and I too, have observed a drop in quality. I usually stock up when it is about $1.25 a can. A few years a back I found a whole case recently shelved and obviously mis-marked at the deep discount grocer at .98 and cleaned them out. I don't eat them too often but I do like the nutritional value and the fact they are one of longest shelf life canned protein options. I noticed the latest version have soy in with the vegetable broth and salt which prompts me to rinse after opening.

Yellowfin tuna in Oil is excellent and pricier but worth it for the consistently better quality.

Alternatives:
Sardines, in oil, lightly smoked (preferred)

Smoked Herring Fillets: Atlantic Premium brand another closeout find great value 7.5 oz $2 a can - just Herring and salt.

Aldi's will occasionally have the Deutsche Kuche brand Herring Fillets in various sauces. These are spotty on availability as they usually show up as a special buy. The quality is good from my experience. I usually rinse the sauces off as I prefer plain and sauces have other ingredients added.

Mackerel in brine . Has a heartier flavor very tasty though am wary as they are from China labeled as "Wild Caught" FWIW

Smoked Oysters

Best smoked fish I have had was fresh along the docks of Gdansk.
I like the smoked trout fillets -- which are quite pricey -- you can buy at Walmart, but I was really looking for something to use in my TUNA SALAD. Something that doesn't make me gag upon opening it, that is! The last thing I bought was the Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in Water ("fresh caught"); guess I'll be returning it unopened!

Old 08-29-2018, 08:55 AM

7,843 posts, read 11,150,368 times
The quality of most foods has been going done over time. With the oceans so overfished its inevitable.

Keep having kids folks. Your great great grandkids will be eating Soylent Green

Old 08-29-2018, 09:57 AM

If the quality of the undisguised straight tuna in cans is this bad now, can you imagine the quality of the stuff they're hiding in those new pouches with the "BOLD" flavored sauces covering up the true flavor? Shudder!

Old 08-29-2018, 10:01 AM

72,791 posts, read 64,258,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I like Chicken of the sea....or StarKist. I stock up when they are on sale. I know some of the store brands are like mush.
Those ARE the common store brands, and I've noticed the same thing as the OP; quality seems to have gone downhill. Also, there's less fish in the cans; they're no longer 3 oz. of fish.

Old 08-29-2018, 10:02 AM

11,353 posts, read 5,863,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisDiller'sHair View Post
I don't buy tuna anymore due to Fukushima.

These days eating any seafood is risky!

And pollution could account for some of the lower quality and odd textures.

So a nuke plant problem in Japan means I can't eat tuna caught in the Atlantic?

Old 08-29-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Those ARE the common store brands, and I've noticed the same thing as the OP; quality seems to have gone downhill. Also, there's less fish in the cans; they're no longer 3 oz. of fish.
I think that refers to a store's own generic brand as opposed to the national brands commonly sold in stores.

And, yes, I'm sure that's even worse still!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink