U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-31-2018, 09:57 AM
 
Location: I live in Bellevue, Wa, in Crossroads
966 posts, read 250,778 times
Reputation: 1098

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have several dressings, blue cheese, caesar etc. but just wondered if someone might
have a more interesting way of using broccoli slaw...

or do you ever cook it?
I think you should cook your veggies from now on, forever. An analysis from 2013 data suggests row crops(lettuce, broccoli, celery, asparagus, et al) account for 42% of E-coli infections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2018, 10:44 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,430 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22666
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I think you should cook your veggies from now on, forever. An analysis from 2013 data suggests row crops(lettuce, broccoli, celery, asparagus, et al) account for 42% of E-coli infections.
Oh no....

Thanks for the info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Northeast Raleigh, NC
838 posts, read 1,369,002 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I have several dressings, blue cheese, caesar etc. but just wondered if someone might
have a more interesting way of using broccoli slaw...

or do you ever cook it?
I generally make my own dressing with mayo and herbs, or I use some acidic components (lime juice, seasoned rice vinegar, balsamic, etc.) along with a tiny bit of mustard for holding it together, and some oilive oil and - if necessary - a tiny bit of sweetener such as agave nectar or honey.

The one thing I ALWAYs do with a salad made from raw broccoli florets or stems, cauliflower. etc. is to steam or blanch it quickly first, shock with ice water bath, then drain and make salad. With all veggies (even adding to a stir fry) it helps them keep a certain pleasant crunch, and with broccoli it allows the bright green color to be enhanced and stay true. It's not "cooked" per se - just blanched.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,430 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22666
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
I generally make my own dressing with mayo and herbs, or I use some acidic components (lime juice, seasoned rice vinegar, balsamic, etc.) along with a tiny bit of mustard for holding it together, and some oilive oil and - if necessary - a tiny bit of sweetener such as agave nectar or honey.

The one thing I ALWAYs do with a salad made from raw broccoli florets or stems, cauliflower. etc. is to steam or blanch it quickly first, shock with ice water bath, then drain and make salad. With all veggies (even adding to a stir fry) it helps them keep a certain pleasant crunch, and with broccoli it allows the bright green color to be enhanced and stay true. It's not "cooked" per se - just blanched.
Good idea. Raw it's bordering on TOO crunchy....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
18,869 posts, read 12,490,390 times
Reputation: 24324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Bingo! I find it cloyingly sweet. Which is what surprised me about his Wegmans White Balsamic. I don't even know whu it's called "balsamic" lol. I never would have purchased it if not for a salad sample in the produce section.
I use a white balsamic all the time for dressings. I prefer it to regular balsamic because it is not so sweet! If I understand this correctly, it is not a true balsamic vinegar. It has a light, fresh taste with a touch of vinegarish sweetness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 01:20 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,430 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22666
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I use a white balsamic all the time for dressings. I prefer it to regular balsamic because it is not so sweet! If I understand this correctly, it is not a true balsamic vinegar. It has a light, fresh taste with a touch of vinegarish sweetness.

I have both, like the white in lighter dishes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 05:29 PM
 
Location: I live in Bellevue, Wa, in Crossroads
966 posts, read 250,778 times
Reputation: 1098
Default Broccoli and cheese

I use a nice medium Cheddar sauce, but lately I've been playing around with Colby Jack and even a semi-soft Emental. I have to have cheese on my broccoli and cauliflower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-31-2018, 05:33 PM
 
Location: Nantahala National Forest, NC
17,430 posts, read 3,556,681 times
Reputation: 22666
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleeGee View Post
I use a nice medium Cheddar sauce, but lately I've been playing around with Colby Jack and even a semi-soft Emental. I have to have cheese on my broccoli and cauliflower.
Do you cook the slaw first?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2018, 02:00 AM
 
Location: I live in Bellevue, Wa, in Crossroads
966 posts, read 250,778 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Do you cook the slaw first?
I lost sight of the parameters. Apologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2018, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
16,942 posts, read 19,688,588 times
Reputation: 17199
I actually don't, I use it in stir-fry's or I add to a tossed salad. I never made a slaw with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top