U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:36 PM

13,359 posts, read 7,121,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Plus, kombucha made at home sort of freaks me out.
It's A-LIIIIIIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 04:37 PM

10,119 posts, read 16,716,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Given my recent overly garlicky attempt at hummus, I prefer the store bought stuff. For the record, I followed the recipe but the garlic I used must have been especially strong--way too much.

Now, what do I do with the rest of the tahini I bought?
Have it on toast like peanut butter?

Old 09-02-2018, 04:40 PM

5,500 posts, read 3,355,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It's A-LIIIIIIVE!
I was picking up one of my children at a friend's house, and the mom whipped open a pantry door to reveal row after row of glass jars with....something in them. Yes, I know it was kombucha in the making, but nothing ever looked so much like the laboratory of an evil scientist growing brains in bottles.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:17 PM

3,012 posts, read 1,810,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My daughter tried to make "healthy, organic" green bean casserole one Thanksgiving. Fresh, organic green beans and mushrooms, homemade cream of mushroom soup, etc. Blech!

The next Thanksgiving, we just used all that regular ol' canned stuff to make it and one again it was delicious!
Green bean casserole is the one and only thing my mother-in-law requests for Thanksgiving dinner, and I make it from the recipe on the french fried onions can! I think she would be very disappointed if I made it any other way!

I do like homemade potato chips, but they are not the same.

Also, I personally don't cook fried seafood at home. Too expensive, too messy, too smelly. We go out for fried seafood. That's not to say that I prefer it over homemade...but *I* personally don't make it at home.

Old 09-02-2018, 05:33 PM

2,008 posts, read 1,799,661 times
I agree about the corned beef hash in a can, anywhere where they try to "gourmet" up the dish with real corned beef, it just doesn't have that much taste.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Obviously those of you who prefer bought pizza over homemade have never cooked it on a grill, especially if you cook it over wood chunks. Most bought pizza can't compare unless you go to a wood fired oven place. I'll admit we occasionally order delivery pizza but that's only when neither of us feel like cooking and can't agree on anything else.

I prefer a tempura meal out since I don't feel like having several pots of oil going so that everything gets done at the same time and is hot out of the fryer.

We make fondue meals at home, but I'd rather go to The Melting Pot simply because I don't have to do all the work involved in a multi-course fondue meal.

For me, I guess basically it comes down to whether or not I feel like like doing a bunch of work to get a finished meal or going out and buying it.
I am sure your pizza is great. Sounds that way, anyway.

But I think you missed the point. To many people, pizza is by definition a food that you choose to eat specifically because you don't want to cook and, in addition, may want delivered to your house.

If you're going to cook at home anyway, why not make some some type of food that you CAN'T get delivered ready-to-eat from around the corner. See what I mean?

Of course, if you want to invite me over for your homemade pizza grilled over wood chunks, I'll be there. Let me know if you prefer wine or beer with it.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:00 PM

7,093 posts, read 2,210,201 times
Nancy's nonfat, plain yogurt, made by the Springfield Creamery in Eugene, is better than any I've ever been able to make myself. I eat a pint a day. Everything else, I make myself, from scratch. Their cottage cheese is the best tasting in the world, but unfortunately it's too expensive and loaded with too much sodium. They will not produce a low-salt or no-added-salt version.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:09 PM

7,772 posts, read 7,541,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Bagels. I feel guilty spending $5 on a bag of Dave's bagels, but I still do it sometimes.
Nope. Those donít qualify as bagels in my opinion. Bagels need to be fresh from the oven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, bagels. I used to try to make them....there's even a guy here with his own bakery who makes them. Nope. You can barely chew 'em. I miss Einstein's bagels! Thomas' English muffins.
Einsteinís is better.

I have been spoiled by my years in NYC. I have never found bagels outside of the city that are truly top notch, although Blazing Bagels in Seattle comes close.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:43 PM

18,848 posts, read 12,473,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Given my recent overly garlicky attempt at hummus, I prefer the store bought stuff. For the record, I followed the recipe but the garlic I used must have been especially strong--way too much.

Now, what do I do with the rest of the tahini I bought?
Hummus is dead easy. Get some new garlic and try again. Iíve made it in the food processor for years. My next hummus project will be cooking chickpeas from scratch for the hummus. Iíve previously used canned chickpeas.

So, try again and I think youíll be pleasantly surprised. Just donít add as much garlic as you did. Youíll be fine. And homemade is better.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 PM

51,209 posts, read 50,499,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nope. Those donít qualify as bagels in my opinion. Bagels need to be fresh from the oven.

Einsteinís is better.

I have been spoiled by my years in NYC. I have never found bagels outside of the city that are truly top notch, although Blazing Bagels in Seattle comes close.
Glad I am not the only one who winced a bit at the name-brand bagels reference. They just can't get real bagels everywhere and don't even know what they are supposed to be like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or