U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 02:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 768,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Nothing yet. If I have something good while out, I go on a relentless pursuit to emulate and perfect. Heck, I brew my own beer, cider and wine ... though I do buy my sparkling wine (not so relentless on that particular venue). Anytime I try an "old favorite" from my youth, it's gag-worthy.

Thinking hard about ready-to-eat stuff in my house... it's musli cereal, corn/tortillia chips, tortillas, different kinds of crackers, dehydrated fruit trail-mix... more convenience stuff than anything else.
Yup. There were several weird items that I never realized until I moved out were weird.

Spanish noodles. Consisted of a couple pounds of egg noodles, a pound of hamburger, onions, and however many cans of Campbell's Tomato Soup (concentrated) it took to smear each noodle with orangey-red stuff. I loved the stuff - but didn't make it for about a year after I moved out, and when I did make a batch up for myself, I had to throw it out. YUCK!

Spanish rice. There was rice in it alright but as far as I could tell, there was nothing Spanish about it. I have thankfully forgotten the exact ingredients but it also involved cans of something. I never liked that concoction, nor all weird casseroles with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup in them. Something with peas and tuna. Something else with green beans and those weird "toasted" onions that came in a can.

I made tons of stuff from scratch, including egg noodles, but for some bizarre reason my mother kept cutting these crap recipes out of women's magazines of the day and making me make them. Sadly, too many of them stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
(Haagen Dazs) chocolate ice cream. (Juniors) Cheesecake. can't they just ban that Breyers junk and Sara Lee crud????
NEVER! BRING BACK THE SARA LEE CHOCOLATE CAKE! It came in a foil pan with waxed paper on top and a cardboard lid crimped on over that. Frozen. The frosting was like fudge. I would eat the frosting off and only then start on the cake itself.

Things I wouldn't make from scratch include:

Kraft dinner. "Real" mac 'n cheese tastes nasty to me.

Chef Boy Ar Dee. I know, its' not "real" spaghetti - and I do like "real" spaghetti - but I like the Chef Boy Ar Dee stuff too. Spaghetti and ravioli. My son used to love some kind of beef 'n macaroni thing they made too.

Kim Chee or any other pickled Korean veggies. I once made my own Kkakdugi - Korean Daikon (radish) kimchi. I didn't have the nerve to actually eat it. It looked good. It smelled good. I was terrified I was going to poison myself. Eventually it went into the trash when it was definitely not good anymore.

Croissants. Costco has a lock on these. Sadly I can't eat them much any more (too many carbs and Costco stopped marking their deli items with nutritional info a couple years ago so I'm not sure how many carbs they actually have any more).

Bagels. Again, can't have these often any more, but when I COULD eat them, it was still too much trouble to make at home. Ditto french bread. I tried for years. Not a single success. Even the dogs wouldn't touch what kept coming out of the oven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 03:51 PM

19,039 posts, read 12,614,651 times
I agree about fried chicken. I quit frying chicken decades ago after it took me too long to clean up after a meal. What a pain.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:47 PM

7,879 posts, read 7,617,252 times
I can’t agree with the mac’n’cheese haters here.

Homemade mac is amazing. Much richer and much more flavorful.

Kraft Dinner will keep you alive, but it is like eating Purina Human Chow.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:30 AM

11,535 posts, read 5,957,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Nope. Those donít qualify as bagels in my opinion. Bagels need to be fresh from the oven.

Einsteinís is better.

I have been spoiled by my years in NYC. I have never found bagels outside of the city that are truly top notch, although Blazing Bagels in Seattle comes close.
I prefer Montreal bagels over NYC bagels. Theyíre much smaller so the texture is better. St Viateur is the best sesame bagel Iíve ever had. Thereís a bagel place in Granville Island, Vancouver who trained in Montreal and comes close. Iíve tried making my own several times and gave up.

Einsteinís is awful. At my girlfriendís place, a bakery storefront walking distance gets bagels trucked in from Brooklyn every morning. Not as good as hot out of the oven but real bagels.

Someone else said baguette. Yep. I canít duplicate a real French baguette, either. Itís unusual to find a US bakery that comes close.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:45 AM

1,650 posts, read 584,679 times
Fish sticks and tartar sauce

Don't get me wrong - walleye (perch, crappie, northern, whatever) fresh out of the lake, lightly breaded and fried is fantastic. But Gorton's fish sticks with Kraft tartar sauce? I can absolutely gorge myself on that stuff!

[But we have a deal - I don't subject my wife to the smell of fish sticks in the oven, and she doesn't roast brussels sprouts when I'm around]

Old 09-05-2018, 07:48 AM

51,568 posts, read 50,842,495 times
Quote:
I canít agree with the macínícheese haters here.

I've upgraded on a friend's recommendation to the Cracker Barrel boxed mac n cheese. It is so much better.

I don't care much for homemade, either. I think that's something you have to grow up eating to really like, and I didn't have macaroni and cheese until I was in my 30s, probably. It just wasn't a thing for us. I will eat some if it's in front of me, but it always has a sort of mealy feel in my mouth, as if there is something more than just cheese in there. Which I expect in the boxed stuff, lol, but not in homemade.

But since I've been dating a Canadian, I learned that the whole dang country eats "KD". They raise their kids on it. They even make jokes about it on their TV shows. I take a few boxes of the Cracker Barrel up each time I go, and it's been well received.

Next I have to tackle the ketchup-on-spaghetti habit.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I prefer Montreal bagels over NYC bagels. Theyíre much smaller so the texture is better. St Viateur is the best sesame bagel Iíve ever had. Thereís a bagel place in Granville Island, Vancouver who trained in Montreal and comes close. Iíve tried making my own several times and gave up.

Einsteinís is awful. At my girlfriendís place, a bakery storefront walking distance gets bagels trucked in from Brooklyn every morning. Not as good as hot out of the oven but real bagels.

Someone else said baguette. Yep. I canít duplicate a real French baguette, either. Itís unusual to find a US bakery that comes close.
I am telling you that a fresh baguette from the corner bakery in Paris on morning was one of the best "meals" I had in Europe, and I had some good ones. I ate half of it and put half away.

That night, as I was on the train rolling through the Chunnel to London, I looked at my sleeping daughter and was bored and suddenly I remembered that I had that half a baguette AND half a bottle of wine that my Amsterdam airbnb host had given us. It was a happy moment. You don't need to go to church for bread and wine to be a spiritual experience.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:54 AM

8,870 posts, read 8,213,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Next I have to tackle the ketchup-on-spaghetti habit.
Is that legal in New Jersey?

Old 09-05-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is that legal in New Jersey?
No, that's why he stays in Ontario. My close friend, who is from Staten Island, has a multi-syllable Italian last name and faints at the idea of someone using sauce from a jar, saw his FB post about ketchup on spaghetti and told me, "You have GOT to take that ketchup bottle away from him. I am going to send you up with some of my sauce."

Unfortunately, I would never be able to pry the ketchup bottle from his cold, dead fingers. He puts it on everything.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 PM

19,039 posts, read 12,614,651 times
Quote:
I canít agree with the macínícheese haters here.

When I make this, I use the Joy of Cooking recipe. It is really, really good. Use good cheese and top with crumbled Cheeze Its.

But I donít make it now because of the carbs thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or