U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 12:37 PM

18,852 posts, read 12,473,150 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would never attempt to make bagels—which are another thing I don’t eat anymore. But we can’t get good bagels here anyway, so there’s that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:17 PM

8,144 posts, read 7,466,203 times
Canned cheese.

I cannot make it as good as it is in the can.

Then I take canned Hormel Chili and dump them both over nacho chips.

My guilty pleasure.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:31 PM

15,572 posts, read 8,742,257 times
Chips and crackers. Commercial products are better than what I can make at home. Also, butter.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM

736 posts, read 172,989 times
My homemade jamon iberico de bellota just doesn't taste right. Could be the wrong strain of acorn.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:56 PM

35,817 posts, read 39,346,783 times
Bagels are actually pretty easy to make.

Old 09-05-2018, 06:43 PM

177 posts, read 32,827 times
Yes they are. I made them quite often for a while, but then we sort of got tired of them.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:46 PM

7,772 posts, read 7,541,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't care much for homemade, either. I think that's something you have to grow up eating to really like, and I didn't have macaroni and cheese until I was in my 30s, probably. It just wasn't a thing for us. I will eat some if it's in front of me, but it always has a sort of mealy feel in my mouth, as if there is something more than just cheese in there.
I didnít have it until I was in my late 20s. I donít understand the mealy description. Sounds like a terrible attribute for a plate of real macínícheese to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When I make this, I use the Joy of Cooking recipe. It is really, really good. Use good cheese and top with crumbled Cheeze Its.

But I donít make it now because of the carbs thing.
I learned from a good old fashioned southern cook, and have never even looked at a recipe. Start with a roux, add two parts good cheddar to one part good Swiss until the consistency is right. Secret ingredient is a tablespoon or two of hot salsa. Not the chunky tomato stuff, but the spicy southwestern style.

Top with a bread crumb/parm mixture.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:09 AM

3,454 posts, read 5,855,697 times
Hot dogs and chili dogs ......just have a totally different flavored than boiled ones on cold buns at home.

Tacos, fajitas, beans and rice that go with them.

Reuben sandwiches

Italian Beef sandwiches

Pizza

Cakes- just have a better flavor than ones I bake and frost. Takes less time to order and pick up. Look better than any I ever bake.

Fish

Orange chicken- just never get it right at home.

Everything for breakfast -except my husbands biscuits and gravy. I just do not cook breakfast.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:35 AM

8,835 posts, read 8,170,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I don’t understand the mealy description. Sounds like a terrible attribute for a plate of real mac’n’cheese to have.
Whenever my mother would veer from using Velveeta, we ended up with something one might have described as "mealy." Real cheddar, I now know, would curdle during the cooking process for the Velveeta version of macaroni and cheese. Mother didn't know. It was the 1960s in working-class New Jersey.

I make Mac and Cheese 101 from Martha Stewart, roux-based, using Cheddar, Gruyere, and Pecorino-Romano. Cavatappi is my mac of choice.

https://www.keyingredient.com/recipe...nd-cheese-101/

Old 09-06-2018, 11:01 AM

177 posts, read 32,827 times
Have to admit, I like Kraft mac-n-cheese as long as it's made fresh, can't stand it leftover. I do make homemade macaroni and cheese, but it's usually a clean out the freezer bag of odds and ends of cheese pieces and is never the same twice. Sometimes it's absolutely divine, sometimes it's edible. Now if we're talking kasespatzle, with caramelized onions, speck or bacon, and Gruyere and/or Emmenthaler cheese, I'll eat that over any other mac-n-cheese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or