U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 01:58 PM

9,130 posts, read 3,948,162 times

Advertisements

I have gotten to where I hate cooking so I'd rather never have anything homemade. However that is tough on the waistline and the budget so I'm going to say breakfast food. While I deal with the mess from making dinner if I'm going to want pancakes, an omelet and bacon I'd rather eat it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 PM

3,217 posts, read 1,495,745 times
If Costco sells it, I'm not cooking it.

Had their smoked pulled brisket tonight, very good.....

Old 09-06-2018, 10:37 PM

4,108 posts, read 5,002,795 times
Pizza, so much easier to just get take out or delivery.
Fried Chicken, I don't deep fry at home. Same goes for French fries or anything cooked in more than a few TBS of oil..

Time consuming or very rich desserts.

BBQ, again it's just time consuming and I lack the proper equipment..

Old 09-07-2018, 06:23 AM

9,130 posts, read 3,948,162 times
I was trying to use up everything in my freezer before I go shopping again so I made Philly Cheesesteaks last night with mushrooms & onions. My house still has an odor. Another reason not to cook. :-)

Old 09-07-2018, 05:50 PM
Status: "Looking for peace. Where do they hide it?" (set 22 hours ago)

1,413 posts, read 439,191 times
I prefer everything homemade, but some things just have too many costly ingredients or ingredients I'd not normally use in anything else, so I'll only opt for them when out, like:

Indian food
Asian food
Greek food

Or, I'm just not into bothering cuz it's not something I'd partake in that often or it's too much effort, like:

Beer (I just don't want to take the time to tweek ingredients)
Roasting coffee beans (Too many great tasting beans available)
Sushi (Let the experts do it... I don't wanna get sick)
Homemade sausages (Don't eat them enough to bother)
Homemade pasta (I must admit, that little machine press looks cute, but I don't eat it often enough that I'd bother... a container of fresh from the deli case is what I use in the 2 times/yr I eat pasta)

In fact, when I go to a restaurant, I always get something I've never had before or I'd never make at home... otherwise, I'll just make it at home.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:36 AM

2,701 posts, read 1,777,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For me it's corned beef hash. I love the canned dog food style type from the supermarket, even if I do get most of my recommended daily sodium intake in one sitting. One would think stumbling across the occasional restaurant or diner that has homemade corned beef hash would be better but for some reason those bigger chunks or potatoes and chewy meat with whatever onions/bell peppers they add just doesn't do it for me.

I've even made my own at home and tried cutting things smaller but can't get it as good as the Alpo-style.

Woof.
Anything fried; we don't deep-fry at home.

Sushi.

I'm with you on the Alpo, too.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM

723 posts, read 496,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For me it's corned beef hash. I love the canned dog food style type from the supermarket, even if I do get most of my recommended daily sodium intake in one sitting. One would think stumbling across the occasional restaurant or diner that has homemade corned beef hash would be better but for some reason those bigger chunks or potatoes and chewy meat with whatever onions/bell peppers they add just doesn't do it for me.

I've even made my own at home and tried cutting things smaller but can't get it as good as the Alpo-style.

Woof.
Although I haven't had any since childhood, I agree "Alpo-style" corned beef hash is better than the less mushy homemade versions. Especially when it is pan fried to form a nice crust, then topped with a fried over-easy egg. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions.

I prefer store-bought liverwurst, pâté, and other similar organ meat items. I find simply handling the raw livers, to make a simple liver and onions or a chopped liver spread, to be distasteful and appetite killing.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:33 PM

18,067 posts, read 17,198,889 times
Anything fried comes from somewhere outside of this house. Too messy. Salads often come from outside because I seldom have all the ingredients and buying lettuce for one person is a waste of money.

Re macaroni and cheese. I never had it from a box--it was always homemade and this is all it was:

Throw the cooked macaroni into a pyrex bowl in layers--onto each layer, you sprinkle some flour, s&p, and chopped up Velveeta cheese. Rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. Finally, you add some milk to it until you can see the milk from the top. It makes its own roux by magic.

Bake @ 350. If you want croutons, you butter some bread and cut it into cubes. Sprinkle them on top for the last few minutes. My mother's uncomplicated recipe.

Old 09-10-2018, 04:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,043,128 times
Lasagna. I made it from scratch for years, took 3 hours each time. I prefer the Stouffers Lasagna. I made spinach souffle from scratch 2 or 3x, but Stouffers is def better.
Fried chicken. I am not happy with any fc I try to make at home.

Old 09-10-2018, 05:46 PM

5,517 posts, read 3,372,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
Lasagna. I made it from scratch for years, took 3 hours each time. I prefer the Stouffers Lasagna. I made spinach souffle from scratch 2 or 3x, but Stouffers is def better.
Fried chicken. I am not happy with any fc I try to make at home.
I'm not going to argue with anyone about taste, as tastes differ and I've never tried Stouffer's lasagna, but what on earth were you doing that made it take 3 hours to make a lasagna?? It takes me less than 20 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or