U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 04:55 AM

4,755 posts, read 2,268,925 times

Advertisements

For me it's corned beef hash. I love the canned dog food style type from the supermarket, even if I do get most of my recommended daily sodium intake in one sitting. One would think stumbling across the occasional restaurant or diner that has homemade corned beef hash would be better but for some reason those bigger chunks or potatoes and chewy meat with whatever onions/bell peppers they add just doesn't do it for me.

I've even made my own at home and tried cutting things smaller but can't get it as good as the Alpo-style.

Woof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 05:38 AM

1,086 posts, read 1,767,615 times
Lol I have to admit I like the can too. Hormel. Alpo style, cute lol.

Old 09-02-2018, 06:48 AM

8,844 posts, read 8,180,304 times
burgers

Indian food

pizza

Old 09-02-2018, 07:07 AM

41,037 posts, read 32,728,581 times
My daughter tried to make "healthy, organic" green bean casserole one Thanksgiving. Fresh, organic green beans and mushrooms, homemade cream of mushroom soup, etc. Blech!

The next Thanksgiving, we just used all that regular ol' canned stuff to make it and one again it was delicious!

Old 09-02-2018, 07:17 AM

18,905 posts, read 12,506,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
burgers

Indian food

pizza
I agree about the burgers and pizza. I might try making pizza some time using the dough you can buy at the grocer, though.

I do not make donuts or pastry. So those would be store bought treats for us.

Pancakes. I stopped making them when I went extremely low carb a few years ago. So, now, for us, pancakes are treat food, especially when we travel. But, it doesnít make me like them all that much. A good pancake house can make dependably good pancakes. There is some fuss when I have to make them. So, I suppose I do prefer eating them at a restaurant.

I donít do good barbeque at home eithsr. If there is a good barbeque place around, we would go there amd eat pork!

Old 09-02-2018, 08:26 AM

4,293 posts, read 6,409,406 times
Nothing yet. If I have something good while out, I go on a relentless pursuit to emulate and perfect. Heck, I brew my own beer, cider and wine ... though I do buy my sparkling wine (not so relentless on that particular venue). Anytime I try an "old favorite" from my youth, it's gag-worthy.

Thinking hard about ready-to-eat stuff in my house... it's musli cereal, corn/tortillia chips, tortillas, different kinds of crackers, dehydrated fruit trail-mix... more convenience stuff than anything else.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:58 AM

28,413 posts, read 2,213,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For me it's corned beef hash. I love the canned dog food style type from the supermarket, even if I do get most of my recommended daily sodium intake in one sitting. One would think stumbling across the occasional restaurant or diner that has homemade corned beef hash would be better but for some reason those bigger chunks or potatoes and chewy meat with whatever onions/bell peppers they add just doesn't do it for me.

I've even made my own at home and tried cutting things smaller but can't get it as good as the Alpo-style.

Woof.

ITA, I was horrified, when I ordered cbh at a diner & they served up chunks of real meat, I much prefer the sloppy canned ones. There is a Scottish recipe called stovies, which uses canned corned beef & potatoes which you might like too, google it.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:46 AM

17,677 posts, read 3,576,255 times
Mayo
Caesar dsg
Iced tea (well water not tasty for tea)
Iced coffee
Jams

Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 AM

2,803 posts, read 1,503,725 times
Kombucha. Thai curries. The homemade has never equaled store bought or restaurant obtained. At least, not yet!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:04 AM

7,808 posts, read 7,559,748 times
It’s a pretty small list. I prefer my own pancakes, pizza, bread, and the like.

Condiments usually aren’t with the effort for me to make, although I have done so in the past just to try my hand at it. Same thing with alcohol. It takes too much time and the variety available commercially is too enticing.

I do prefer professionally made:

Bagels
Poutine
Potato chips.

I have never been able to replicate the best of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or