U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 10:06 PM

5,751 posts, read 3,035,945 times

Advertisements

I hate these meat threads because my choices are between Kroger and Walmart. Where the "butcher" is whatever kid got stuck stocking the prepacked meat parts into the display. Can't wait for Publix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 05:01 PM

13,710 posts, read 22,821,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I hate these meat threads because my choices are between Kroger and Walmart. Where the "butcher" is whatever kid got stuck stocking the prepacked meat parts into the display. Can't wait for Publix.

The overwhelming majority of box beef comes into the store as primal cuts. Most meat cutters don't know what to do with it other than the top 15-20 retail cuts. And even the experienced ones are lost when you get specialty cuts like skirt steaks. Last week, my kitchen was being renovated and I bought a skirt steak dinner that was supposedly "heat and eat". The butcher did not trim the meat properly and did not tenderize it. It was like eating shoe leather. The head butcher at that store took one look at the ,meat and agreed. I got a full refund.

I guess that I "could" go to the local IGA or some of the carnicerias in this area. However, nearly NONE of the meat is a USDA inspected and is generally imported from Mexico Sometimes it is very good; sometimes, it looks like meat from Mexico and is kind of scary. I have to see the butcher and look at the quality of his work.

For the record, I have purchased meat for large institutions and I have no issues with buying meat from foreign sources, mainly Australia and New Zealand for lamb and mutton and Brazil and Argentina for boxed beef.

Old 09-07-2018, 06:50 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
good news and bad news on the "butcher" front I started early on cutting up wild game deer moose bear.....sometimes caribou and we also did local critters from farms

back in the day the chain stores offered the highest pay and benefits.....mostly because of volume (sales)
before 1970 most all beef were sides and quarters …..come in on rails and one store could have 3-4 meatcutters ...then in the 1970's a divide happened.....the stores became bigger and bigger supermarkets and..... the retail industry drove the most of the meat market--- the rise of the big packers/producers
lots of labor/expense for the store was for the butchers to bone and break the critter down into primals/sub-primals …. and lots of bone/fat was hauled away.....wasn't sold ….. in the '70's the meat packers asked....why are we hauling/trucking millions/billions of pounds of sides if 30% is going in bone barrels/ why dont WE break the critter down and vac seal the primals to the store...…….well, this revolutionized the industry...because the stores could cut payroll -because of no more boning and breaking the critter at store level...….the other huge benefit was a store could order just rib eyes.(or any other specific primal )....and have a rib eye sale......tough to do with a whole critter rib eyes represent 6% of the critter ….you pull that one piece out you had to sell the rest of the critter...……. so this set up much better sales/price points …..keep in mind this is a very competitive business and price drives the market...… stores could now just buy 10 cases of rib eyes....and the rib eye in the box would last, still be good for 30 days ….to cut without loss ….

there are places that still do whole animal butchering for retail and their are places that are slaughterhouses/butchers that will do local farm animals without retail.

the sad trend today is what Walmart is doing.....they ship all their meats in from thousands of miles away...all cut they dont even grind burger at the store.....more and more supermarkets are doing this too to save on payroll.....

the upside of this is that the smaller butcher shops SHOULD be making a comeback to fill the voids... ive helped over 10 butcher shops and 20 iga stores open thru the years... they are independents so one is totally different than the other.....although part of my day to day job is training meat managers and cutters in stores so they can answer questions and know all the cuts grades, and even cooking basics....

I go into some stores and the so called cutters are half trained because half the product comes in case ready they dont even cut it anymore..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink