U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2018, 09:04 PM

8,156 posts, read 4,025,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Awkward is a better word than rude. Servers expect to bring you something. When we would go out to eat with my father-in-law and he was asked what he'd like to drink, he always said, "Nothing." Then the server would say "No water?" or "How about water?" and he'd repeat, "Nothing. No water, no fluids" and the server would say, "Oh, okay."

It would be easier to start with "I don't need a drink. Thank you." It's a lot clearer than "nothing". Nothing would make me think "oh, maybe they think I'm taking bar orders. surely they'll want a water" ... because as I mentioned upthread, having a beverage of some sort with a meal is pretty much standard, especially in restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 09:40 PM

7,971 posts, read 7,677,537 times
My mother thought it was weird to drink anything during a meal. I had fights with her as a child about this.

Add me to the group that thinks drinks enhance a meal. They can be palate cleansers, allowing one to taste the different courses or sides, or flavor enhancers, enriching meal choices.

It might be sparkling water (I love my soda stream, never use a flavor though), an alcoholic beverage (red wine or stout preferably), or coffee/tea. It really depends on what the meal is.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:02 AM

7,251 posts, read 3,882,305 times
This feedback has made me reconsider. MOST of us just leave the water sitting there, and what a waste of water! From now on, I'm going to refuse it and just state that I don't need anything to drink. Maybe others will follow suit or just go ahead and order the beverage of their choice, saving not only water and labor, but time.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM

871 posts, read 205,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Same here; I enjoy coffee with dessert, beer or soda with chips or some other salty snack, but when eating a whole meal, I don't feel the need -- or seem to have the time or the room -- for a 64 oz. (or whatever it is) beverage. The drinks included with those fast food "extra value" meals and buffets are always wasted on me.

Hardly anyone does. That's like assuming people order a sack of potatoes if they want a side with their steak.

I think drinking with food is more common that not. From breakfast to dinner. Its certainly common where we live to have a glass of wine or water with dinner and coffee, tea, milk or juice with breakfast.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:56 AM

2,321 posts, read 1,460,649 times
This reminds me of the narcissism of vegans that they don't eat whatever, whatever. A new brand of the same thingonly it's they don't drink with a meal. Big deal. Congratulations. Your body has to liquefy food to move it from your stomach to your small intestine. If you don't drink anything with your meal your digestive tract has to pull moisture out of your blood stream to accomplish the task. Either way the food has to become liquefied to move forward.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:01 PM

15,072 posts, read 16,738,693 times
Having a beverage with meals seems to cross virtually all cultures, and as far as history and archaeology can tell us, throughout most of human existence.

Not drinking with meals is definitely the exception.

The idea that drinking with meals is unhealthy was a fad from the early 20th century along with a bunch of other dubious health recommendations like bathing in milk and putting saltpeter in the food to discourage masturbation.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:03 PM

5,603 posts, read 3,442,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
This reminds me of the narcissism of vegans that they don't eat whatever, whatever. A new brand of the same thing only it's they don't drink with a meal. Big deal. Congratulations.
Narcissism? I don't drink with meals because I am not thirsty while eating. I drink plenty at other times, and I couldn't care less what others do. Your reaction seems extreme.

Old 09-05-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
This reminds me of the narcissism of vegans that they don't eat whatever, whatever. A new brand of the same thingonly it's they don't drink with a meal. Big deal. Congratulations. Your body has to liquefy food to move it from your stomach to your small intestine. If you don't drink anything with your meal your digestive tract has to pull moisture out of your blood stream to accomplish the task. Either way the food has to become liquefied to move forward.
Um, I wasn't claiming any superiority and certainly wasn't suggesting that everyone follow my example. In fact, I was asking if I wasn't the oddball here (and it seems I am).

Under normal circumstances, enough saliva is produced to form a "bolus" (a ball of partially liquified food) that is easily swallowed and digested. I've never seen any evidence that a beverage is necessary for this.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:20 PM

11,236 posts, read 6,710,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Um, I wasn't claiming any superiority and certainly wasn't suggesting that everyone follow my example. In fact, I was asking if I wasn't the oddball here (and it seems I am).
Claiming that those who have a drink with their meal must be drinking 64 oz Big Gulps seemed pretty sanctimonious to me.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Claiming that those who have a drink with their meal must be drinking 64 oz Big Gulps seemed pretty sanctimonious to me.
What's the actual size of the big beverage that accompanies those extra value meals at drive-thru's? It's pretty big. But no offense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or