U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 01:04 PM

654 posts, read 138,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
What's the actual size of the big beverage that accompanies those extra value meals at drive-thru's? It's pretty big. But no offense.
It has been a very, very long time since I had a soda from either a drive thru or a convenience store. Those "64 oz drinks" were based on cup size. By the time the cup got filled with ice, there wasn't room for 64 oz of liquid. I doubt you could get 32 oz in after the ice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 01:43 PM

8,139 posts, read 7,463,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
It enhances your meal. It's okay with me if you have a beer with whatever you're eating.

I rarely need a drink to wash down my food. I like the taste of the food and don't need "enhancement".

What I do like is coffee with my dessert. But that's just me.
YOU don't have to drink anything with your meal.

I like beer and wings.

I like beer and pizza.

So I will drink beer with those two meals.

See how that works?

Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
What's the actual size of the big beverage that accompanies those extra value meals at drive-thru's? It's pretty big. But no offense.
Are we only talking about extra value meals at drive thrus? I think you're the only one who is.

But since you are, the largest McDonalds drink size is 32 oz., not 64 oz.

Old 09-05-2018, 01:56 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
No clue. Sonic's largest is 44 oz, but considering its filled with crushed ice, I would say there is probably only about 16 oz worth of drink. But that is for an extra large, most places serve a medium with their value meals, which is probably closer to 24 oz (and again filled with ice).

Edited to add: This says a medium at McDonalds is 21 oz and a large is 30 oz. No where near the 64 oz you claim that people must be drinking with their meals.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...age001_png.jpg

Old 09-05-2018, 01:57 PM

7,080 posts, read 3,778,159 times
Oh; "only" 30 oz. I stand corrected.

Wow; people are really sensitive about their beverages!

I hardly suggested that "everyone" who drinks with meals is drinking a gallon, but they DO sell them, and I presume quite a few of them. Much less is required, obviously, to merely wash down food or cleanse the palate or enhance the flavor, and if that's what you like to do, I have no judgment.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:01 PM

7,964 posts, read 3,862,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No clue. Sonic's largest is 44 oz, but considering its filled with crushed ice, I would say there is probably only about 16 oz worth of drink. But that is for an extra large, most places serve a medium with their value meals, which is probably closer to 24 oz (and again filled with ice).

Edited to add: This says a medium at McDonalds is 21 oz and a large is 30 oz. No where near the 64 oz you claim that people must be drinking with their meals.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014...age001_png.jpg

Oooh ... Sonic is one of the few places I'll order something other than a bottle of water. I want a huge cup of the crushed ice to crunch on all afternoon. I've even been known to order a drink, hold the drink.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:58 PM

736 posts, read 172,216 times
Quote:

I hardly suggested that "everyone" who drinks with meals is drinking a gallon, but they DO sell them, and I presume quite a few of them. Much less is required, obviously, to merely wash down food or cleanse the palate or enhance the flavor, and if that's what you like to do, I have no judgment.

I think you are off on a tangent. Most meals eaten in the US are not drive through meals*, they are not even fast food restaurant meals. Even if fast food meals are the biggest single group, its still a minority compared to the hundreds of millions of meals eaten each day. So your fixation on drive-thru and fast food let alone the alleged 64 Oz, is a bit odd.

*The stats - about 50 million meals per day are fast food total. In a population of 300 million eating approx. 3 meals per day - i.e. 50 million out of about 900 million meals. And even then, many of the 50 million won't involve a drink.

Old 09-05-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chint View Post
I think you are off on a tangent. Most meals eaten in the US are not drive through meals, they are not even fast food restaurant meals. Even if fast food meals are the biggest single group, its still a minority compared to the hundreds of millions of meals eaten each day. So your fixation on drive-thru and fast food let alone the alleged 64 Oz, is a bit odd.
I'm trying to get off that "tangent," and I'm hardly "fixated," actually. I mentioned it once; then it was made an issue of by others.

My original post was about eating meals at home (at least that's what I had in mind) and, secondarily, in sit-down restaurants.

The inclusion of a beverage with the drive-thru fast food, however, demonstrated the ubiquitousness of the beverage with a meal.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:08 PM

11,019 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
30 oz cup filled with ice, so probably no more then a 12 oz can of soda.

Quote:
Nope, just confused why you think people who have something to drink with a meal must be drinking a 64 oz drink.

Quote:
I hardly suggested that "everyone" who drinks with meals is drinking a gallon, but they DO sell them, and I presume quite a few of them.
Now you want to claim people are drinking a gallon, 128 oz?

Where? Ive never seen anyone restaurant serve their drinks by the gallon, or even 64 ounces. Maybe for catering or family meals, it might common with a gallon of tea, but that's not meant for one person.

Old 09-05-2018, 03:09 PM

So back to the topic. Anyone else skip the beverage with meals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or